Thai houses - your photos

Chob

The last pic is a 'trend' style at the moment and I think its style could not be more unsuited to Thailand than anything.

Fixed widows should not happen , eaves should be extra wide to shade the walls , doors should open extra wide to bring the indoors outdoors and catch breezes , shady verandas at door level are needed.
No idea on prices sorry .

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;440063 said:
^ you can buy kit homes very similar to the ones you have pictured...might be a good alternative as then its assembly only and then possibly disassemble/reassemble on the new land...
My BIL would build it and it could be moved

I'd only agree to it if it can moved and then used as a guest house
I'm not wasting 300k that can be used in the actual build

But I am already thinking that guest house can be the "garang away from Thai" house in the future 5555

MarcTwoSix

Chob;440076 said:
The last pic is a 'trend' style at the moment and I think its style could not be more unsuited to Thailand than anything.

Fixed widows should not happen , eaves should be extra wide to shade the walls , doors should open extra wide to bring the indoors outdoors and catch breezes , shady verandas at door level are needed.
No idea on prices sorry .
I like the look if it was going to get modern

But anything that I build will have vast open spaces to the outdoors
I like the big doors that slide into the wall that open up the whole wall to your backyard

My friend has it in Hawaii and we rented a place a couple times in Hua Hin with similar doors and it gets utilized constantly

People in the back while others cooking in the kitchen

MarcTwoSix

I read a 2009 WSJ article about a German guy that owned an old mansion/compound on Suk Soi 23

He loved it but the maintenance was crazy keeping up all the wood, he said

Buksida

I couldn't build a teakhouse but built a concrete one in Bangkok years ago and tried to include a lot of the ideas from the old Thai houses, which in many ways are similar to a "Queenslander". I had 3 metre verandahs all around the house for shade and used big doorways and windows wherever possible. I also had full flow ventilation between the roof and ceiling and hardly ever had to use air-conditioning. The Regatta Pub in Brisbane was my inspiration.

Must have had that house for about 15 years but would not have spent more than a total of year in it as I wound up mostly working in northern Thailand and moved the family up there with me.

Chob

^Shading those outside walls and allowing the heat inside to rise and get away is instrumental ... you even thought of the drip line near the slab..I like it .

Chob

Cashpoint;441483 said:
"Urgent Sale - Super Discount" BHT9.99 million reduced from BHT14 million - I suspect that there will have to be a lot more pain before much stuff sells in Thailand.

Are you seeing any sales in Phuket?
Some claim Covid Sales but its always been overpriced here.

Buksida

I know a bloke in Kamala trying to sell his house. I think he wants about 9 million for it (and he says he is losing at that) but he is not getting any takers. Nice house though with pool and covered barbecue area, bar etc.