Thai Road toll

Ian Forbes

Distantpeak;123237 said:
Yeah... but wouldn't they be worried they might come back as a rat?
Next to coyotes, rats are the smartest mammal on the planet. They've survived for centuries with everyone trying to kill them using every method possible.

Cippy

Chob;123260 said:
The 'Rats' I know are lovely girls....555

And in Thai philosophy ( that not all adhere to) everything has its worth and place in the scheme of things.
Nothing is killed for the sake of it - of course , eating it is a different matter...
But dont take unwanted kittens to a vet to be put down. Most wont do it.
Any animal ,presumed as taking only what it needs , can have a happy life.
I wish I hadn't seen a lot of killing for no good reason. A nice lady a couple doors down in the Baan, surprised me when I heard she had killed off the kittens of a feral cat live in the neighbourhood.

Z

Zablive

Ian Forbes;123355 said:
Ah hell, Cippy, feral cats and dogs are how I feed my pet crocodile. 55555
I know you carry a penknife since a kid but Croc Forbes - this is a knife ...

C

Cilla

Zablive;123365 said:
Lets put a bit of action to it Croc Forbes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Ian Forbes

Zablive;123365 said:
That is more true than you know, Zab. Back in 1965, after that movie came out, I went to visit my older sister and brother in law who lived in New York city. At that time I truly was a Crocodile Dundee kind of character: knives, guns, living in the wilderness with no more than I could carry on my back, and eating whatever I caught or killed. I was a total greenhorn in New York and just walked up and talked to everyone. My sister introduced me to her friends as Crocodile Dundee and everyone laughed because they saw it was true. I got a great kick out of the movie because I could identify with so much of it.

I'm still comfortable around wild creatures... and I do have a big collection of knives.

These are only a few of them

jontymate

I have no facts to back this up. So I hypothesise that every Thai family has been touched by the road toll or knows of a family that has. Even the TD "Family" has as many were friends of Nicke.

To me, and happy to be corrected, if I was a politician in LOS at this point. To change the focus / divergence , this would be a perfect topic that has touched the lives of all. IE I will stop your loved ones dying on the roads of this country. Or I am just ting tong with a dream?

billpay

I also have read through this thread and can agree with just about everything. The biggest difference to me in driving these roads compared to the US, is that you can NEVER relax when you are behind the wheel.
On any long drive in the states, you just need to get on an interstate, put it on cruise control, and chill. Not in Thailand. Last week we drove to Bangkok from Phuket and could not relax on any part of the journey. You always have to be on the lookout for something, whether it be a dog, a huge pothole, a motorbike creeping along, someone coming up from behind going about 170kph....just anything and everything.
I've made that same trip quite a few times and can never relax. I feel exhausted after the drive....like it is really an effort.5555
Anyway, made it in 10 hrs. door to door, from Summer Breeze to Majestic Grande on Soi 2.

Ian Forbes

jontymate;123375 said:
I have no facts to back this up. So I hypothesise that every Thai family has been touched by the road toll or knows of a family that has. Even the TD "Family" has as many were friends of Nicke.

To me, and happy to be corrected, if I was a politician in LOS at this point. To change the focus / divergence , this would be a perfect topic that has touched the lives of all. IE I will stop your loved ones dying on the roads of this country. Or I am just ting tong with a dream?
But would it sink home, Jonty? I have personally had two ex-girlfriends who were killed in separate, simple accidents, and only because they failed to wear a helmet. Both girls knew each other at the time and yet the death of one had no affect on the other, other than momentary sadness. A year later the second girl was killed the same way... from a simple head injury... and not wearing a helmet. Other girls also knew the two that died and yet they also continued to ride without a helmet. I'm not sure that there is an answer.

Ian Forbes

billpay;123376 said:
I also have read through this thread and can agree with just about everything. The biggest difference to me in driving these roads compared to the US, is that you can NEVER relax when you are behind the wheel.
On any long drive in the states, you just need to get on an interstate, put it on cruise control, and chill. Not in Thailand. Last week we drove to Bangkok from Phuket and could not relax on any part of the journey. You always have to be on the lookout for something, whether it be a dog, a huge pothole, a motorbike creeping along, someone coming up from behind going about 170kph....just anything and everything.
I've made that same trip quite a few times and can never relax. I feel exhausted after the drive....like it is really an effort.5555
Anyway, made it in 10 hrs. door to door, from Summer Breeze to Majestic Grande on Soi 2.
Oh so true, Bill. Last year I rode my 250 D-Tracker from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi and back. It is a full day and a half ride one way. Top speed on the bike is about 120 km/hr if I lay flat as possible, but normally about 110 km/hr. The main A2 highway was mostly good, but with rough sections. However, it was all the crazies on the highway that kept me alert 100% of the time. I could never relax even a little bit. I have learned to NEVER trust any corner I can't see entirely around. Everything else was exactly as you said. Crazy drivers tailgating me at high speed and I'm stuck behind a slower vehicle with nowhere to pull over or get out of the idiots way.

I'm going to do the same trip again in a few weeks and I'll just trust in fate to protect me. I will not ride at night.

Moo Uaon

I'm hoping they can make wearing a helmet to be seen as being trendy and the kids will all start wearing them and others will catch on that they aren't just for avoiding a fine from the MiB...for my young blokes sake.

justcruzing1

I have said before, I think the best way to tackle it would be to get the Gov. a major chain store and a helmet producer to make a deal.
The store could have their logo on the helmet as advertising and share the costs with the Gov. to provide free to all school children and 2 to each moto taxi.
Then they have to enforce the law, no excuses as the Gov. has coughed up cash.
With the volume involved the helmet maker could do a real special price and have their brand on the helmets as well for advertising as an offset for discount.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ian Forbes

The woman was right in that you have to indoctrinate the children about the importance of helmets when they are young. Teenagers are going to rebel no matter what the program.

slampay

Ian Forbes;123370 said:
That is more true than you know, Zab. Back in 1965, after that movie came out, I went to visit my older sister and brother in law who lived in New York city. At that time I truly was a Crocodile Dundee kind of character: knives, guns, living in the wilderness with no more than I could carry on my back, and eating whatever I caught or killed. I was a total greenhorn in New York and just walked up and talked to everyone. My sister introduced me to her friends as Crocodile Dundee and everyone laughed because they saw it was true. I got a great kick out of the movie because I could identify with so much of it.

I'm still comfortable around wild creatures... and I do have a big collection of knives.

These are only a few of them

Just noticed that your sister introduced you to her friends as 'crocodile Dundee' .....in 1965?? 555

Ian Forbes

slampay;186637 said:
Just noticed that your sister introduced you to her friends as 'crocodile Dundee' .....in 1965?? 555
You are correct, She called me a "bush ranger" (which I was) during my first visit to New York in 1965. It wasn't until a later visit in 1990 that she called me her Crocodile Dundee brother. Those are the only two times I've been to New York city.

You know me, my memory is slipping. 5555