Thai Road toll

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;424503 said:
^ 55..they say that you never really know someone until you have ridden in a car with them driving in traffic...55
My BIL is just about the coolest guy you will ever meet
About 6'4" great looking guy and was the #1 cop in Massachusetts
With the best personality you could imagine

But his last few years on the job he was committing in traffic 1hr to and 2hrs back home every day

Man he turned into a lunatic in traffic!
It was like seeing the exorcist!!!

bacwaan

who remembers the Goofy characters Mr Walker vs Mr Wheeler...

[video=youtube;uIW542XnfJ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIW542XnfJ4[/video]

Chob

I know people like Mr Wheeler.
Lindy was a attractive and pleasant Num 2 of Tourist Marketing in my city when I had a fling with her after I finished with my missus.
We had no reason to travel in cars together as she turned out to only live a couple of blocks away , so I'd walk round to her place every second evening or so.

But a couple of months later I went to Phuket as planned and she called and suggested I join her on her holidays with her 2 sons and I agreed.
Well she picked me up at Noosa Airport and she was one hell of an aggressive driver in her new Mazda 3.
She loathed bicycle riders and kept driving right up behind them , I mean really close , and saying stuff like "Get the fcuk off the road !" , and "These dickeheads shouldnt be allowed here!" and stuff like that.
I rode with one hand pressing against the dash , incredulous.
She didnt blow the horn , but man was she an aggressive driver !

I didnt let it get in the way of our 'reunion' of course , and and bit my tongue , but next day and every day after , I took her up on her offer for me to to drive.
Bloody scarey...

Ian Forbes

I'm back in Chiang Mai after the crazy long ride up to the border and back. I ALMOST made it a safe trip... until pulling into a gas station at the south end of Chiang Rai. A guy in a pickup came out the entrance just as I was pulling in. He redirected my motorbike into the ditch instead of the station, and he was gone in a flash. A few guys came over and lifted the bike off me. Serves me right for not stopping for gas sooner. One banged up knee that I had to bandage when I got home, a torn and blood soaked pair of jeans, and a ruined carry bag that melted when it landed on my hot exhaust.

It is no longer a pleasant ride like it used to be. They are tearing up hwy118 from where it starts to climb into the hills north of Chiang Mai, and almost all the way to the hotsprings. There are LOTS of rough gravel sections and its all you can do to keep a bike upright. Spraying it with water doesn't help much. I keeps the dust down, but the mud and gravel turns into ruts. Even the paved section section from the hotsprings to the border is a patchwork of broken pavement, and grooves that pulls a motorbike this way and that.

Actually, the crazy drivers trying to kill me, or force me off the road was a pleasant distraction. I can always count on them to liven up the day. 55

What I did learn is in the future I'll make it a two day trip. At the age of 80 a 12 hour trip is too exhausting on a motorbike. My butt is sore. My wrists are sore, my back aches, and I won't even include the damaged knee.

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;424544 said:
I'm back in Chiang Mai after the crazy long ride up to the border and back. I ALMOST made it a safe trip... until pulling into a gas station at the south end of Chiang Rai. A guy in a pickup came out the entrance just as I was pulling in. He redirected my motorbike into the ditch instead of the station, and he was gone in a flash. A few guys came over and lifted the bike off me. Serves me right for not stopping for gas sooner. One banged up knee that I had to bandage when I got home, a torn and blood soaked pair of jeans, and a ruined carry bag that melted when it landed on my hot exhaust.

It is no longer a pleasant ride like it used to be. They are tearing up hwy118 from where it starts to climb into the hills north of Chiang Mai, and almost all the way to the hotsprings. There are LOTS of rough gravel sections and its all you can do to keep a bike upright. Spraying it with water doesn't help much. I keeps the dust down, but the mud and gravel turns into ruts. Even the paved section section from the hotsprings to the border is a patchwork of broken pavement, and grooves that pulls a motorbike this way and that.

Actually, the crazy drivers trying to kill me, or force me off the road was a pleasant distraction. I can always count on them to liven up the day. 55

What I did learn is in the future I'll make it a two day trip. At the age of 80 a 12 hour trip is too exhausting on a motorbike. My butt is sore. My wrists are sore, my back aches, and I won't even include the damaged knee.
Why don't you just fly somewhere on AirAsia that isn't that costly and make a nice weekend of it?

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;424546 said:
Why don't you just fly somewhere on AirAsia that isn't that costly and make a nice weekend of it?
I actually wanted to see the changes in the highway. There is a "newish" bypass around Chiang Rai that goes out to the airport and circles back to hwy 118 north to the border. From what I make out it seems to have alleviated some of the congestion in the city, but there are still the dozens of traffic lights.

Scottie

justcruzing1;424276 said:
I did the bus, Pattaya to Korat with the TGF 9 years ago as well ( we may have been on the same bus by the sound of it).
We were upstairs, WC downstairs, I had to go, couldn't wait for the midway stop, man what an exercise that was, toilet full and overflowing, 2ins of piss on the floor etc. all the time bouncing on bad suspension on rough road and sudden breaking, swerves of lane changing.

The total horror was the mountain range south of Korat. I lived a lot of my life on the edge but felt hopeless sitting there with no control of a crazy driver on what seemed like a suicide mission.
At least twice we had all wheels on one side off the ground.
I am sure he was freewheeling 1/2 way down most hills.
When he decided to overtake a truck while going uphill and with no vision of oncoming traffic, I felt sick but when he got alongside the truck, went for a gear change and missed i really thought ...this is it.
I hear ya mate, I forgot about the habit's until you mentioned that, but none the less, they were the same,, maybe both our drivers was the same person or at lease trained at the same driving school.

I can't remember where we stopped off for the midway stop,, I just remember needing a cigarette and a piss followed by some food.

I wish I could have slept through it all, but the plane wins every time, I flew back to Don Muang airport with Nok Air in a prop plane, better than the bus though.

Nowadays Air Asia fly to Issan for cheap.

The funny thing was the village I went to (which was closer to Nahkon Phanom, just not easy to get there) but the kids there hadnever seen a farang other than on TV, so when we went shopping is Si Songkram the kids followed us around the town.

I just remember drinking the local 7/11 in the village out of beer as the locals don't drink much and the 7/11 only had beer on the off chance someone was driving through and fancied a beer.

Not many farangs, in fact none in the village up at that part of Issan,, not like Udon Thani. (which allegedly had more farangs there)

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;424549 said:
I actually wanted to see the changes in the highway. There is a "newish" bypass around Chiang Rai that goes out to the airport and circles back to hwy 118 north to the border. From what I make out it seems to have alleviated some of the congestion in the city, but there are still the dozens of traffic lights.
As you said you are 80yrs old
I know you are very fit

But AA has some very good prices
And you can find decent priced hotels

I'm good at finding good hotels
If you do it next time I will help you find a decent hotel

I just found this hotel for Ao in Cha Am for 25cad!

https://www.google.com/search?q=oyo...coCZoQ_AUoAnoECBMQAg&biw=412&bih=678&dpr=2.63

MarcTwoSix

Scottie;424550 said:
I hear ya mate, I forgot about the habit's until you mentioned that, but none the less, they were the same,, maybe both our drivers was the same person or at lease trained at the same driving school.

I can't remember where we stopped off for the midway stop,, I just remember needing a cigarette and a piss followed by some food.
I took one of those small vans from Ao Nang to Phuket
My wife was skeptical if I'd like it

The driver was a lunatic and the 1st time he stopped I told him to get our bags and we just asked around for someone that knew a taxi

Had to wait about 20mins to find one but wasn't getting back in that van

Ian Forbes

Scottie;424550 said:
The funny thing was the village I went to (which was closer to Nahkon Phanom, just not easy to get there) but the kids there hadnever seen a farang other than on TV, so when we went shopping is Si Songkram the kids followed us around the town.

I just remember drinking the local 7/11 in the village out of beer as the locals don't drink much and the 7/11 only had beer on the off chance someone was driving through and fancied a beer.

Not many farangs, in fact none in the village up at that part of Issan,, not like Udon Thani. (which allegedly had more farangs there)
That reminds me of my first trip to Sakhon Nakon to meet a Thai lady in about 1998. I think I told the story before, but I'll repeat myself. The lady got her dates mixed up and wasn't there to greet me. In those days there was only one flight a day at 7AM and they closed the airport after the plane left. I had no clue where I was in the flat landscape. Luckily, I had my Lonely Planet book with me that mentioned the name of a hotel. A second bit of luck was a late arriving taxi that I flagged down and said "Duset Hotel". He nodded and drove me there. The lady at the hotel didn't speak a word of English but gave me room 202... for 400 baht. Then I took a LOOONG nap after traveling non stop for about 3 days.

Then, I had to figure out how to contact Kung. I wrote a short letter to Kung in Thai using a Thai language translator and said I would wait 3 days for her. I took it to the hotel receptionist and pointed where the stamp goes. She called a motorbike guy who took it to the local post office.

Then I just went for a walk around the small city. It was just like you said... small kids following me and a few running up to touch me. They had never seen a white guy with white hair before. There were one or two young ladies in the fruit market who had learned a "bit" of English in school and wanted to try and converse with me. It was a totally unique experience for me.

The next thing that amazed me was how good the postal service was in that area. Kung had got my arrival time mixed up and came to the airport the next day. She returned home to find the letter I had written to her already delivered. ONE DAY DELIVERY! In Canada your are lucky to receive a letter a week after it's mailed. Kung turned around and took a bus back into town and was knocking on my door by 2 PM.

We spent a week touring around Sakhon Nakon and then we flew to Bangkok, and went from there to Hua Hin by bus, and took the night train down to Koh Samui. Altogether we spent about a month together. All trips creating long lasting memories.

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;424574 said:
That reminds me of my first trip to Sakhon Nakon to meet a Thai lady in about 1998. I think I told the story before, but I'll repeat myself. The lady got her dates mixed up and wasn't there to greet me. In those days there was only one flight a day at 7AM and they closed the airport after the plane left. I had no clue where I was in the flat landscape. Luckily, I had my Lonely Planet book with me that mentioned the name of a hotel. A second bit of luck was a late arriving taxi that I flagged down and said "Duset Hotel". He nodded and drove me there. The lady at the hotel didn't speak a word of English but gave me room 202... for 400 baht. Then I took a LOOONG nap after traveling non stop for about 3 days.

Then, I had to figure out how to contact Kung. I wrote a short letter to Kung in Thai using a Thai language translator and said I would wait 3 days for her. I took it to the hotel receptionist and pointed where the stamp goes. She called a motorbike guy who took it to the local post office.

Then I just went for a walk around the small city. It was just like you said... small kids following me and a few running up to touch me. They had never seen a white guy with white hair before. There were one or two young ladies in the fruit market who had learned a "bit" of English in school and wanted to try and converse with me. It was a totally unique experience for me.

The next thing that amazed me was how good the postal service was in that area. Kung had got my arrival time mixed up and came to the airport the next day. She returned home to find the letter I had written to her already delivered. ONE DAY DELIVERY! In Canada your are lucky to receive a letter a week after it's mailed. Kung turned around and took a bus back into town and was knocking on my door by 2 PM.

We spent a week touring around Sakhon Nakon and then we flew to Bangkok, and went from there to Hua Hin by bus, and took the night train down to Koh Samui. Altogether we spent about a month together. All trips creating long lasting memories.
I wondered for a second. How'd you have white hair 22 years ago
(Wasnt questioning your story)

I forgot you are 80yrs old 5555

22 years ago was your white hair stage!
Attached files

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;424577 said:
I wondered for a second. How'd you have white hair 22 years ago
(Wasnt questioning your story)

I forgot you are 80yrs old 5555

22 years ago was your white hair stage!
My first few year in Thailand I still had hair, but with a bald patch on top. I was blonde as a child and my hair went white in my twenties. I blame some of it on having to wear a restrictive hard hat when I was working in the woods. That is also when I went bald. When I first started visiting Thailand I cut off my beard because a friend said Thai women didn't like beards. It was a few years later that I said "Fuck it" and shaved my head totally bald and grew back my small beard. I can thank Michael Johnson (basketball star) and Yul Bryner for making TOTALLY BALD popular with men who are growing bald naturally.

kaptainrob

Administrator
[video=youtube;-7oO3Gtz56Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7oO3Gtz56Q[/video]

Farang tourist knocked down our local BigC set of lights and rolled over. He was unharmed. 2 Phuket bikers, were not so lucky.

Scottie

kaptainrob;424757 said:
[video=youtube;-7oO3Gtz56Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7oO3Gtz56Q[/video]

Farang tourist knocked down our local BigC set of lights and rolled over. He was unharmed. 2 Phuket bikers, were not so lucky.
He now lives in a world of hurt, either he comes up with a shit load of money but regardless he will be fooked like a Soi 6 bar girl. especially if they ship him up to Bangkwang (Bangkok Hilton).

If he was pissed then there will be further problems. Just wish there was subtitles.

MarcTwoSix

Whenever my wife heads to Suphanburi or Petchaburi she leaves at ungodly hours.

Yes for Songkran, sure
But doesn't matter
She wakes up and is on the road at 3am usually

This weekend is a bit busy with Chinese New Year but don't think she needs to be getting on the road at 3am
Crazy....

kaptainrob

Administrator
No fatalities at the scene, this time, yet another level crossing accident in our local area. Last one saw 8 ppl killed.

Looks to me as if the car was first hit in the rear by train, spun around and hit in front. Parents taking kids to school failed to notice barrier down...???

Ian Forbes

All I can say is YIKES! They were bloody luck to have survived.

The guy who was tailgating me on my way through Chiang Rai just tipped the back of my motorbike as I was slowing to turn into a gas station and put me in the ditch. The tailgater took off, but the gas station jockies lifted the bike off me. I'm still nursing a bum knee and ankle.

kaptainrob

Administrator
3 young bikers killed in a senseless incident which shows the absolute stupidity of some people.

Returning home in convoy from a merit-making ceremony, the three lead riders ran straight into an almost invisible and excessively long wire tow rope stretched taut across the highway in Suphanburi province.

The bus, having run out of fuel was being towed and as the video below shows, the towing truck had slowed before turning/entering the highway's opposing lanes. The illegal and unmarked 'tow rope' caused instant death 2 whilst the 3rd rider died en route to hospital.

Story here > https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392729?

MarcTwoSix

^ I worry so much about Nut with this shit and have no clue the answer

I don't want him in those vans locals take
I think a MB is too dangerous

I think car is the safest option.....

kaptainrob

Administrator
^ I worry so much about Nut with this shit and have no clue the answer

I don't want him in those vans locals take
I think a MB is too dangerous

I think car is the safest option.....
Those silver vans are death traps. Pax sitting on top of LPG cylinders might survive initial collision only to be fried if any fire. :(

A sedan car with airbags is safer, even a small hatch-back can be ok for front seat pax. Heavier vehicles often travel far too close behind smaller cars resulting in some nasty accidents though far more survivable than MB or vans.