Thai Road toll

Quarky

Administrator
slampay;186637 said:
Just noticed that your sister introduced you to her friends as 'crocodile Dundee' .....in 1965?? 555
Paul Hogan is based loosely on Ian Forbes... 55

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;243565 said:
how did we end up with guns,knives and trophy kills on here? hmm* 55
That happened when Chob posted something a little off topic about rats and I replied to that. Then, Cilla replied to that about killing cats and off it went. Now, JC mentions a gun thread at Patong hill... and so it goes in most conversations.

But, back on topic, I think there are many factors that lead to a high accident rate and a lot of fatalities in Thailand. Most have already been mentioned:
1. Lack of proper training... if any training at all
2. Thais believing that their faith in Buddha will take care of them. That, or it has all been predestined.
3. Lack of real enforcement of laws, except when the police need to collect some "tea" money.
4. Drinking and driving (or riding)
5. Passing on blind corners is the one that astounds me. I see it happen all the time and now I come to expect it. I also expect people in trucks and cars tailgating me at high speed on the highway when I have no where else to go except to pull off the road to let them take my place in the line.
6. Lack of proper maintenance of trucks, busses, cars and motorbikes. You those vehicles all the time.
7. Over loaded vehicles on mountain roads wobbling all over the road.
8. Drivers of pickup trucks who drive them like they did on motorbikes... weaving in and out of traffic at high speed and not making allowance for other vehicles doing the same thing.

I have a few pet peeves that irritate me all the time (#5 and #8) and most are done by those silver vans and private owners of pickup trucks.

Until the police take an active roll in actually patrolling the highways I don't think anything is going to change. Road blocks are a joke and used for one purpose only... to collect tea money.

Moo Uaon

actually a big problem here is people entering the road on the left without looking or stopping.
this then pushes slow moving traffic on the left of the road to the middle and them to the right side of the road where there's much faster traffic...like a concertina effect.

the problem then,on the roads around here,is if your bore along in the right lane,well away from them,you run the risk of having someone U turn in front of you and clean them up.
U turn breaks seem to have fresh white paint marking a collision applied every day. i always slow at them and treat the person waiting as someone that will turn just at that wrong moment.

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;243611 said:
i always slow at them and treat the person waiting as someone that will turn just at that wrong moment.
Expect the unexpected. That is how you have survived the number of years that you have, Lew.

Although all my accidents in Thailand were not really my fault, they might not have occurred had I expected the person to do something stupid... which they did. For that very reason alone I do not go around corners as fast as I could, or would like to. Too often I have met someone coming at me in my lane, or there is something stopped just around a corner and blocking the lane. Or, there is a portion of the road missing.

Moo Uaon

"expect other road users to not have your best interests in mind"

it's a jungle and you gotta look after yourself!!

C

Changone

^Its a jungle all right, and a lot of the denizens are much bigger and faster than you...

Chob

Two days , two near misses
Im coming down the hill from Kathu , check the mirror and theres only a single white truck well off
Look up again and the truck is 30 metres off and closing rapidly
I indicate quick and pull over to the left and brake , very concerned hes lost his brakes
He rockets passed me maybe 20 metres , then reaches the last crest before the last steep bit and locks his wheels up - smoke starts to pour off of his tyres
I hit the crest , and cars are backed up and stopped in both lanes
I watch in disbelief as he slews left , then right , then out into the oncoming lane
He stops 8 cars down the line - luckily no one was coming up

The moron hadnt lost his breaks at all , he was freewheeling down the hill
He would have head on-ed anyone oncoming , or concertina-ed at least 8 cars

Pull out of Banzhaan carpark today
I wait patiently to cross traffic and go right
The (new ) lights on my left , for Soi Banzhaan , turn red , and a polite minibus sees that , and slows and waives me out
I come out gingerly , checking my left , mainly for red light running scooters , of which there are plenty around Patong
I hear my tg suck in breath , staring right
I look right and a motorbike riding Thai had decided to overtake everyone ( and cross dble yellow lines ) including the polite minibus , and is breaking Very heavily to miss us
I stop ( fearing that if I hurry and he has decided to go around my hood that I will collect him after all ) , and he manages to stop a meter from my door
No expression crosses his face
He returns to racing mode as soon as Im out of the way

RakThai

Driving with Gaed I expressed my displeasure with the scooter drivers "hanging" somewhere in my dead angle..
She had no idea what I was talking about... As many Thais, they drive motorcycles, Gaed even has a licence for that, but have no clue about cars...

So while parking I put her in the drivers seat and tell her to watch the road ahead, and watch me in the mirrors...
I then just walk around the car and stop in the dead angles, to which she starts confusingly looking around her... 55

Pop up at her door (bending low) and open it... "Where did you go? I see you and then you gone.." 555

Ian Forbes

RakThai;243740 said:
Driving with Gaed I expressed my displeasure with the scooter drivers "hanging" somewhere in my dead angle..
She had no idea what I was talking about... As many Thais, they drive motorcycles, Gaed even has a licence for that, but have no clue about cars...

So while parking I put her in the drivers seat and tell her to watch the road ahead, and watch me in the mirrors...
I then just walk around the car and stop in the dead angles, to which she starts confusingly looking around her... 55

Pop up at her door (bending low) and open it... "Where did you go? I see you and then you gone.." 555
Very good lesson, Rak. That is part of the proper training that Thais never get to experience... #1 on my list.

My father taught me to drive, and even though I could have passed the city test long before I took it, my father wanted me to be up to his standards before he would loan me the family car.

And, after riding motorbike in Thailand for about 15 years I have learned to be a better driver in Canada. I'm just more aware of potential dangers than I was before. It has saved me numerous times while riding my motorbike in Canada.

Cuzzy

Ian I agree with what you say in your post #84...

I haven't done as much driving in LOS as some of you guys but being a motorcycle rider since I was 9 has honed my pereiferal vision and anticipation of what could happen.

Simply amazing that Thai people get away with what they do on the roads. A couple of years ago friends joined me for a trip to BKK, KK, CM and on to meet with Au. We picked up a friends Toyota in Chachoensao and drove from there around the country. They were horrified at the driving habits, the seeming total disregard for courtesy and above all safety. Still, no worse than some other countries of course.

I believe there will only be a change in attitudes if it is started at the bottom and driven upwards. Education of children on basic safety, both personal and road safety. Make it a fun topic, drive it and re-inforce it everyday until it becomes 'normal' as it has been done here and in other western cultures. Make the young kids aware of the dangers and tragedies around road accidents. They have all experienced it probably with a family member.

Au's niece Aommy, 4yo, will now not go anywhere without being buckled into her carseat. She tells the adults about wearing seatbelts and how she doesn't want them to die. I started driving this message home with her about 18 months ago when I got angry about the families routine visits to Chumphae and KK without seatbelts and taking the kids with them. One of Au's nephews died in a motorcycle accident when I was there in 2013. It would have been non fatal if he had been wearing a helmet...

I often am the one who does the driving when I'm in the village. Nobody goes anywhere until they have their belt on, that includes the adults.

Change of course is slow but it will happen. I believe political change will only happen with a shift in attitudes. Not from those in power or those who have influence at present, but from the younger generations who see what happens in their country and who desire a more fair and eqaul society that looks down on corruption and encourages sharing of power and affluence. They are the ones who will drive change in Thailand, not the endless 'Committees', Meetings etc that go nowhere other than providing a forum for those that can talk with little substance or conviction.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Cuzzy, Thai's don't always get away with it - stats show majority of deaths and severe injury is m/b riders like you've seen. And I've seen a few dead ones lying on the tarmac.

Car drivers may often be to blame, though seldom proven, as they'll change lanes without indication just as lane-splitting scooters roar up behind. That's a daily occurrence around here.

All round dark or mirrored tinting on cars make it impossible to see the occupant(s), usually the worst drivers, but how can they see out at dusk and later at night?

Nearly every line hogging or lane weaving car we see has a mobile phone stuck to drivers ear. Couple all the dangerous driving (and loading)practices with a massive increase in vehicles sold recently and road carnage is not slowing any time soon.

I drive aggressively yet defensively, always looking for a clear space or escape route, hanging back when none exist. I'll let some idiot roar past only to see him lock up the wheels when he realises the lane is blocked at U turn ahead and he's hemmed in.

Ian Forbes

What a LOT of people (the world over) are guilty of is NOT planning ahead, or reading the road traffic ahead of them. I see it all the time in Canada when I'm driving my big truck and camper, but don't notice it as much when riding my motorbike. On the bike I'm usually just flying along and reacting to what I see up ahead. I'm usually going faster than the traffic and I try to find those big open sections between clumps of vehicles. When driving my truck and camper I don't drive nearly as fast and I'm often under the speed limit. But, I don't want to impede other vehicles, so I'll often signal for others to pass me when it is safe to do so. I'll pull into the curb lane to let them know I'm aware of their presence. The good drivers will pass quickly and give me a blink of the lights as a thank you However, what pisses me off are the ones who will pull up right up behind me, but then just sit there and not pass even when it is safe. That means the ones behind them cannot pass unless taking a risk.

Chob

"What a LOT of people (the world over) are guilty of is NOT planning ahead, or reading the road traffic ahead of them"

Says it all to me
I used to drive a lot of minibuses , and they while the werent the best at braking , which taught me to look out way up ahead , they had a height advantage and great vision
Thats not the case for me anymore , there are so many trucks/pickups with 'lift' packs etc here , that I rarely have any height advantage so have to be even more vigilant

But what sh!ts me to distraction is that half of Thai drivers cant even stay in their own lanes!
They see you coming but still come out from the left , then meander over two lanes , or drive with the road stripes dead in the middle of their car while they try to decide which lane to take
But most deadly is when they straighten out all the bends going over to Surin
I have a mate who holiday rents one of NEs bikes and Im always telling him not to ride out in the middle of the lane ( or the RH side of it )
He says he keeps wanting to because he fears getting 'cleaned up' by all the idiots who pull out without looking from the left
Fat women in veils always do that around here

justcruzing1

I reckon everyone should be made to spend 20-30hrs in a heavy truck as part of their drivers test.

Having driven a concrete truck that with a full load was 22 ton, you would not believe the idiot's that jump in front of you as your trying to break up to lights etc. Hit the horn and they flick you the bird ...Grrrrrrr

These things don't stop on a dime!!!

Ian Forbes

Thais not staying in their own lane is a common occurrence. They often straddle two lanes to give themselves a choice in traffic. Taxis do it all the time. Fuck the people behind them. Even when passing me at 140 km/hr they won't use a whole lane. They will be half in my lane and half in the passing lane.

Moo Uaon

justcruzing1;244084 said:
I reckon everyone should be made to spend 20-30hrs in a heavy truck as part of their drivers test.

Having driven a concrete truck that with a full load was 22 ton, you would not believe the idiot's that jump in front of you as your trying to break up to lights etc. Hit the horn and they flick you the bird ...Grrrrrrr

These things don't stop on a dime!!!

^ lights with timers ala LOS would be great in that situation instead of being given a split second to decide whether to stop or accelerate when they turn amber.
the area where cars have been stopped at the lights and dropped oil and fluid can be quite greasy and slippery when you're hard on the brakes.
quite dangerous in a big truck and much safer to keep going through if the lights change just at that exact moment when you're not that far away and need the full force of the brakes to pull it up to avoid going through the red..

justcruzing1

Yes Moo I think LOS with the countdown lights are great.

The thing is people don't just jump in front of a truck at lights, they do it all the time. Scream up the outside lane, then cut in front and jump on the brakes to turn left, meanwhile I'm making the Mack stand on it's nose and burning $200 worth of rubber.

But heaven help you if you touch the back of their car...your gone done and dusted!!

Then you get the young idiot's like the two girls my mate killed in the same truck.

He was coming down a hill, two lanes each way, he was empty.

On the other side was two girls on a small motor bike, waiting to turn right, across him.

As he hit the bottom of the hill at full speed, the girls on the bike jumped in front of him, he did all he could but they hosed the bodies off the wheels and axels of the truck.

The rider was 17 and had her learners for 3 weeks, her sister, 14 was on the back, illegally. I believe the girl had the clutch in and was in gear waiting for the traffic to clear but bot an itichy arse?? or a fly in her face?? or whatever and let go of the clutch and it kangarooed into the truck.

He was exonerated by the cops and the coroner but it hit him badly. He had kids the same age and at the Coroners inquest the girls parents went off at him.

It wasn't his fault.

Mick

Ian Forbes;243606 said:
That happened when Chob posted something a little off topic about rats and I replied to that. Then, Cilla replied to that about killing cats and off it went. Now, JC mentions a gun thread at Patong hill... and so it goes in most conversations.

But, back on topic, I think there are many factors that lead to a high accident rate and a lot of fatalities in Thailand. Most have already been mentioned:
1. Lack of proper training... if any training at all
2. Thais believing that their faith in Buddha will take care of them. That, or it has all been predestined.
3. Lack of real enforcement of laws, except when the police need to collect some "tea" money.
4. Drinking and driving (or riding)
5. Passing on blind corners is the one that astounds me. I see it happen all the time and now I come to expect it. I also expect people in trucks and cars tailgating me at high speed on the highway when I have no where else to go except to pull off the road to let them take my place in the line.
6. Lack of proper maintenance of trucks, busses, cars and motorbikes. You those vehicles all the time.
7. Over loaded vehicles on mountain roads wobbling all over the road.
8. Drivers of pickup trucks who drive them like they did on motorbikes... weaving in and out of traffic at high speed and not making allowance for other vehicles doing the same thing.

I have a few pet peeves that irritate me all the time (#5 and #8) and most are done by those silver vans and private owners of pickup trucks.

Until the police take an active roll in actually patrolling the highways I don't think anything is going to change. Road blocks are a joke and used for one purpose only... to collect tea money.
Ian Forbes;243616 said:
Expect the unexpected. That is how you have survived the number of years that you have, Lew.

Although all my accidents in Thailand were not really my fault, they might not have occurred had I expected the person to do something stupid... which they did. For that very reason alone I do not go around corners as fast as I could, or would like to. Too often I have met someone coming at me in my lane, or there is something stopped just around a corner and blocking the lane. Or, there is a portion of the road missing.
Chob;243732 said:
Two days , two near misses
Im coming down the hill from Kathu , check the mirror and theres only a single white truck well off
Look up again and the truck is 30 metres off and closing rapidly
I indicate quick and pull over to the left and brake , very concerned hes lost his brakes
He rockets passed me maybe 20 metres , then reaches the last crest before the last steep bit and locks his wheels up - smoke starts to pour off of his tyres
I hit the crest , and cars are backed up and stopped in both lanes
I watch in disbelief as he slews left , then right , then out into the oncoming lane
He stops 8 cars down the line - luckily no one was coming up

The moron hadnt lost his breaks at all , he was freewheeling down the hill
He would have head on-ed anyone oncoming , or concertina-ed at least 8 cars

Pull out of Banzhaan carpark today
I wait patiently to cross traffic and go right
The (new ) lights on my left , for Soi Banzhaan , turn red , and a polite minibus sees that , and slows and waives me out
I come out gingerly , checking my left , mainly for red light running scooters , of which there are plenty around Patong
I hear my tg suck in breath , staring right
I look right and a motorbike riding Thai had decided to overtake everyone ( and cross dble yellow lines ) including the polite minibus , and is breaking Very heavily to miss us
I stop ( fearing that if I hurry and he has decided to go around my hood that I will collect him after all ) , and he manages to stop a meter from my door
No expression crosses his face
He returns to racing mode as soon as Im out of the way
Dunno why people go on whinging so much about Thai roads and road users. They are what they are, and not likely to change any time soon. Be aware, for sure, but adapt and don't let it get to you.

I have done more than 160,000 km on motorcycles on Thai roads, and a few more in a car, without a ticket or an accident. The only time my motorcycle has been involved in an accident was when I was parked (legally) using an ATM 10 metres away. I watched, amused, as a woman driving a Mercedes Benz backed into it. No, she didn't stop to offer to pay for any damage.

Potential incidents happen all the time. I don't waste my time getting all wound up about them, or even remembering them. I just chalk them up to experience, learn from them and carry on. Let others do their thing, while I get on with doing mine…… All the while keeping aware of what is going on around me, and what my options are, as well as keeping a good distance from others. Just common sense stuff really.