Thai Road toll

Moo Uaon

Mick;244640 said:
I have done more than 160,000 km on motorcycles on Thai roads, and a few more in a car, without a ticket or an accident.
you should buy a lottery ticket 55

it's not just all about awareness...there's also the being in the wrong place at the wrong time factor when one of locals can knock you down a like a bowling pin.

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;244655 said:

it's not just all about awareness...there's also the being in the wrong place at the wrong time factor when one of locals can knock you down a like a bowling pin.
That is pretty much it in a nutshell, Lew. Being aware 100% of the time helps your odds a lot, but there are too many other factors that come into play to list them all. But, that is true what ever country you drive in. There is a huge difference between driving a car and riding a motorbike. Each has its own set of problems. Hit gravel or oil on a corner on a motorbike and you can be on the ground in seconds. In a car you might just slide around a little and recover.

If you meet on coming traffic in your lane on a blind corner while driving a car you can't avoid an accident. But, if you are riding a motorbike, and not going too fast, you can sometimes squeeze by on the outside. On every single long distance (500KM+) ride I've taken in Thailand I've met vehicles coming at me in my lane on blind corners. It scared me at first, but now I just expect it and don't go around corners as fast as I could. When following fast moving traffic I've continually seen trucks, vans and even busses pass slower vehicles on blind corners. I just back off and try to keep some distance away if suddenly there is an accident up ahead. Drivers who pass on blind corners are just trusting in luck that someone is not coming the other way. Eventually, your good luck runs out.

Chob

Mick;244640 said:
I have done more than 160,000 km on motorcycles on Thai roads,,,,,,,,without ,,,, an accident. The only time my motorcycle has been involved in an accident was when I was parked (legally) using an ATM 10 metres away.

I don't waste my time ,,,,,,,, remembering them.
5555 Oh, I see !
Ive managed to buy my way out of any tickets as well

The "Stroke my Own Ego" Thread is on Level 2 Ive been told

Mick

Moo Uaon;244655 said:

So…… Is it just that a few folks just have rotten luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, many times more often than others…… or what?

Moo Uaon

^ not me.

but traffic fines...yes....had maybe 5 in 8 1/2 years now and 130k km's all over the place by bike and car. 500 baht being the biggest 200 baht a few times the smallest. that's were the wrong place and time has come into it. know many that have got them/part and parcel of using the roads here....or so i thought!

no biggie but getting wiped out on the roads would be.

Ian Forbes

Mick;244867 said:
So…… Is it just that a few folks just have rotten luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, many times more often than others…… or what?
I think a lot has to do with the roads you drive and the locations. Some places are much worse than others. In Chiang Mai you get to know where the police have their road checks on a regular basis, and at what time of the month. There are also roads that are much worse than others when it comes to accidents, road construction and policing.

I try not to ride at night on any Thai highway, but don't mind the city traffic in Chiang Mai. I might feel different if I was riding in Bangkok, though. Oddly enough, I don't mind riding in the Pattaya area where I'm told it is supposed to be crazy. It's just like congested traffic in any Asian city and you learn to deal with it. Hitting oil on a corner on any highway in Thailand is a distinct possibility and it's just the luck of the draw. Dealing with Poorly maintained vehicles is just normal in Thailand. The same is true of riders and drivers on their cel phones while supposedly controlling their vehicle. Most western countries have banned that, but it's common practise in Asia.

Moo Uaon

dumb or drunk thai has no problem doing the improbable when it comes to collisions 55

looks like the western,river market, end and hit the ramp maybe too fast,lost control and into a bridge support and turned it over.

hopefully no structural damage....to the bridge that is.

Rivo

Obviosly stayed to long at the DUP then attemted to drive home 555

Just joking 555...................I agree with Moo hes approached that ramp as you enter the bridge too fast, then slightly corrected and presto your on the side.

jontymate

As with songkran, when Thai's travel home for NY I cringe. We are not going back this year to KK. That did not stop the exchange I will describe on a hypothetical situation if we were.

If we go together we fly from BKK to KK. If Dao goes alone I suggest strongly she flies to lessen the risk on the road but she will catch a bus. Now the logic.

If she catched the bus the money saved will buy a feast for the family. My counter is. There is no restriction, you spend what you want on your family.

If I come with you it's okay to waste money on a flight because you're farang.

These are the sort of real difficulties. The perceived face of managing money well trumps my desire for a safer option of transport.

Ian Forbes

Although it is dangerous at any time I trust my own abilities on my motorbike before I will trust bus drivers in the cheaper bus companies. Besides, on a bike I can usually get out of the way of some idiot passing on a blind corner in my lane. In a car, bus or truck there is no room if some idiot is coming at you.

justcruzing1

Rivo;245392 said:
Obviosly stayed to long at the DUP then attemted to drive home 555
One of the guys on PA has posted.."according to some Thai news reports, if you fail the breathalyzer now, it's 10,000 baht, plus a month in jail."

I don't know if it is correct or if it is being enforced but may be worth bearing in mind during the busy season.

Ian Forbes

justcruzing1;265330 said:
One of the guys on PA has posted.."according to some Thai news reports, if you fail the breathalyzer now, it's 10,000 baht, plus a month in jail."

I don't know if it is correct or if it is being enforced but may be worth bearing in mind during the busy season.
Do you actually have to been drinking alcohol to not pass a Thai breathalizer machine? Judging by all their other made up schemes to fleece unsuspecting tourists it wouldn't surprise me if they got you to breath into an empty milk container and say you failed..

kaptainrob

Administrator
I've seen 2 marked and supervised road blocks in last few days around CM and the TV anti-drink driving ads are hard to miss, some deliberately funny to watch. But it's the young kids without helmets who create the worst stats. Next in line, overloaded pax vehicles and poorly control of coaches. Bus companies with unsafe vehicles and drivers improperly trained, if at all. The 14 Malaysians last week another avoidable tragedy.

Ian Forbes

kaptainrob;265397 said:
I've seen 2 marked and supervised road blocks in last few days around CM and the TV anti-drink driving ads are hard to miss, some deliberately funny to watch. But it's the young kids without helmets who create the worst stats. Next in line, overloaded pax vehicles and poorly control of coaches. Bus companies with unsafe vehicles and drivers improperly trained, if at all. The 14 Malaysians last week another avoidable tragedy.
Well said kaptainrob. I see it all the time. In the slightly rural areas just out of the city there are 12 to 14 year old kids on scooters coming and going to school with 3 or more on the bike and nobody wearing helmets. When I got my fine last year for being a farang on a motorbike, I passed one bus going down the road crab-tracking (wheels out of alignment), an old pickup spewing smoke and hauling a trailer with the contents dragging on the ground, and god knows how many side car bikes with wheels wobbling. They all passed through the check point with no stops. Meanwhile, Mr Farang (me) with a valid license, insurance and all my papers in order, had to pay a 400 baht fine on the spot for passing all these road hazards.

I just consider it a road tax that is arbitrarily handed out indiscriminately, but focused at foreigners.

Ian Forbes

A lot like rural Thailand where the locals grow up with bicycles and graduate to scooter as they aquire more wealth. Then, when they can afford a car or truck, they drive it the same way they would a scooter... weaving in and out of traffic, paying little attention to traffic laws, and park anywhere and everywhere they like. Only in the past few years have I seen more Thais wearing helmets.

Moo Uaon

Ian Forbes;278698 said:
Only in the past few years have I seen more Thais wearing helmets.
i noticed many of them didn't have them buckled up though....even MiB!

of course they avoid a fine that way but it does absolutely nothing when they fall off.