MarcTwoSix;281205 said:
I rented a car at Don Mueng and drove to Sukhumvit Soi11
Landed at 10:40am
Was in my hotel at 11:25am

It took me 15mins,if that to get from DMK airport to Sukhumvit Soi11
Sometimes I was the only car on the tollway
And Sukhumvit is DEAD!
I've never seen this as quiet before....hardly a soul walking down lower Suk
Maybe they've all migrated to the popular Songkran areas?

Moo Uaon

just after songkran it is the same in CM...deserted and really easy to get around.

thais are on the move,holidaying and visiting family.

Cuzzy

Distantpeak;281138 said:
What I like about NZ is it's like going back 20 to 30 years in time... don't knock it!
Fuck off.... what a load of sh1t 555
Attached files

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;281206 said:
Maybe they've all migrated to the popular Songkran areas?
Yup
I didn't think it would be that bad because most people travelled last night since today is the 1st day off in Bangkok.
But I didn't think it would be that dead

And I think tomorrow to Hua Hin in the morning will be easy enough

Quarky

Administrator
Cuzzy;281208 said:
Hey it is compared to the UK... it's always been a running joke about NZ being like the UK in the 1950s... and that's what I like about it... that old slow paced feel... it's a good thing! Hard to find that in the UK any more...

Ian Forbes

Distantpeak;281294 said:
Hey it is compared to the UK... it's always been a running joke about NZ being like the UK in the 1950s... and that's what I like about it... that old slow paced feel... it's a good thing! Hard to find that in the UK any more...
Not only that but the people down there are actually polite... unless you step in front of them in the water they are fishing. 5555

I have too many great memories while just bumming around New Zealand in a rental car in search of fishing waters. The people were all generous and reminded me of the prairie farmers in Canada. If you took the time to listen to there stories you were treated like a member of the family.

Sydney

Distantpeak;281138 said:
What I like about NZ is it's like going back 20 to 30 years in time... don't knock it!

More people die on the road in Thailand in one day... than die in NZ in a whole year....
Cuzzy;281208 said:
Its both ... in some things its well advanced ... roll out of technology is often faster, in fact often NZ is used as a testing ground for certain software upgrades or even tech products, its small so if there is issues you are do damage on a small scale ... when i first arrived in Aus ATM machines for example were a mile behind NZ ... geographically its so much easier to roll out these types of technology ...

But if you are talking about the thought process and general ethics of a kiwi who has never being anywhere in his life ..... then yeah 20 years behind ...55555 .... i just use the word Naive to sum it up ....

Hatari

all about focus

Four days of Songkran festival’s “seven dangerous days’’ - 259 people lose their lives in road accidents across the country, up almost 36% from 2015.

kaptainrob

Administrator
^ and ~80% were m/c accidents. Local reports and photos on CM108 tell a sad story of blood and brains spread across many CM roads.

Ian Forbes

That's okay, the local monk sprinkled some holy water on them and said they were good to go because now they are "protected".

Local mentality is bad enough, but when you add a party atmosphere and some booze it is a recipe for disaster. I don't think "smart" phones have helped much either. The phone epidemic is cause for a huge increase in traffic accidents in North America, and that is even with laws against cel phone use while driving. Cel phone users are worse than drunks. A few weeks ago I saw a young woman who would have been killed by a big truck had the lady's dog on the leash not stopped her. I was on my motorbike and watching it almost happen. The gal was so focused on her phone that she was about to step in front of the truck who was moving too fast to stop. The lady's dog stopped as the woman was stepping into traffic. Only the leash saved her when she suddenly looked up to see the truck. It was a very near miss.

Hatari

Taken from an Economist article

More grisly scenes are likely this weekend, when 22m Thais travel back to their workplaces after celebrating Songkran, the Thai new year. Road accidents always spike during the “seven days of death” that encompass the festival. A similar surge accompanies revelries at the turn of the calendar year.

Among countries for which the World Health Organisation (WHO) measures road safety, Thailand is less lethal per head of population only than Libya, whose drivers have to contend, among other things, with rocket-propelled grenades.

Each year more than 24,000 people are killed on Thai roads, a mortality rate well above other South-East Asian countries, even much poorer ones with lousier roads.

Thai roads are busy, testament both to the country’s relative wealth and its limited public transport. They are also packed with vulnerable motorbikes and scooters, which are involved in nearly three-quarters of fatalities. Only half of their riders wear an obligatory helmet, and even fewer of the passengers riding pillion.

Meanwhile, superstitious Thais have taken to placing small zebra figurines at the sites of accidents. The animals are said to ward off the unhappy ghosts of crash victims, lest they cause more pile-ups.

Full article here

Hatari

None of MsH's immediate family have traveled 'home' this Songkran
Her mother has instead gone to Bangkok for a month, staying with each of the two daughters and one son and their families there. Practical, safer, easier than them packing up and traveling with kids.

Tha Mai is very subdued for Songkran, some kids with water guns firing from their bicycles, very low key, just doesn't seem to be a big deal locally, and just the one day.

MarcTwoSix

All of my wife's family leaving directly after the party tomorrow at about 4-5pm.....I think it will be absolutely jammed at that time going back to BKK from Hua Hin but they have to be back at work Monday

kaptainrob

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;281553 said:
All of my wife's family leaving directly after the party tomorrow at about 4-5pm.....I think it will be absolutely jammed at that time going back to BKK from Hua Hin but they have to be back at work Monday
That would be about the worst time to depart, and full of alcohol? Or are you driving them Paul. Hopefully not all travelling in back of a pick-up.

Z

Zablive

As suggested above - take the coast road.
Longer but probably much quicker tomorrow.

MarcTwoSix

kaptainrob;281559 said:
That would be about the worst time to depart, and full of alcohol? Or are you driving them Paul. Hopefully not all travelling in back of a pick-up.
There is no alcohol allowed at the party and yes all in pick-ups
Ao and I are staying at the house for one more night then heading south