Thailand confirms new 6-month visas for tourists

supmate

this is awesome bump this post...im hella excited...even though my flights feb 6th to may 6th i might leave in november in 2 months

Z

Zablive

I guarantee on Nov. 14th no Thai consulate or Embassy will know how to process this new Visa ...

mechime

How true is this, seen on ThaiEmbassy.com :-
Under the new provisions of the Visa Exemption Rule (VER), visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period. Just keep in mind that under the VER, you are allowed 30 days maximum on each visit.

dave01

mechime;254059 said:
How true is this, seen on ThaiEmbassy.com :-
Under the new provisions of the Visa Exemption Rule (VER), visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period. Just keep in mind that under the VER, you are allowed 30 days maximum on each visit.
The 90 days in 6 months provision. I think that was the case, but that was relaxed some time ago. Visa Exemptions can also be extended under newish rules. Costs 1900 baht in country at immigration.

supmate

dave01;254267 said:
The 90 days in 6 months provision. I think that was the case, but that was relaxed some time ago. Visa Exemptions can also be extended under newish rules. Costs 1900 baht in country at immigration.
So your saying if i come as an american with no visa...every 30 days i can extend it another 30 days for 1900 baht twice adding up to 90 days total without a visa?

dave01

supmate;254269 said:
So your saying if i come as an american with no visa...every 30 days i can extend it another 30 days for 1900 baht twice adding up to 90 days total without a visa?
No not at all.. I should have made it clearer... U can only extend the Visa Exemption ONCE... sorry for that. If you want to stay 90 days, get a tourist visa, it too, can be extended ONCE for 1900 baht and that will give you a total of 90 days.

Z

Zablive

"Maximum stay of 60 days" so still border hops at least every 60 days.

C

Changone

So more of a multi entry, short stay variant than a true six month stay visa then..

N

NeedHoliday

As expected - the *VISA* (entry into the kingdom) covers a 6 month period (multiple entry), but will only cover 60 days stay.

What still isn't clear is if you can extend for 30 days in country (like a normal tourist visa). I'll be really surprised if you can't, because that will be a massive baht hit for Immigration.

Mr. Smiley

NeedHoliday;257199 said:
As expected - the *VISA* (entry into the kingdom) covers a 6 month period (multiple entry), but will only cover 60 days stay.

What still isn't clear is if you can extend for 30 days in country (like a normal tourist visa). I'll be really surprised if you can't, because that will be a massive baht hit for Immigration.
Well I think you can only extend on your final entry (once the visa has expired). So you should be able to get 9 months out of it... still pretty useless as you can only apply for it in your resident country and in terms of paper work you have to show min $7000 (in the bank for 6 months prior to application), a letter of employment, return airplane ticket and proof of hotel stay (for your first entry).

MarcTwoSix

Mr. Smiley;257201 said:
Well I think you can only extend on your final entry (once the visa has expired). So you should be able to get 9 months out of it... still pretty useless as you can only apply for it in your resident country and in terms of paper work you have to show min $7000 (in the bank for 6 months prior to application), a letter of employment, return airplane ticket and proof of hotel stay (for your first entry).
To be honest......it is what a lot of countries expect from people granted visas
Gets rid of the riff raff and that's a good thing
Thailand has had to put up with way too many losers for far too long trying to stay in their country

N

NeedHoliday

MarcTwoSix;257227 said:
To be honest......it is what a lot of countries expect from people granted visas
Gets rid of the riff raff and that's a good thing
Thailand has had to put up with way too many losers for far too long trying to stay in their country
Define losers / riff-raff? Those without enough money to support themselves? Criminals? Whatever your definition, this change also hurts those staying here that are beneficial for the economy (bring money into the country and spend it here).

MarcTwoSix

NeedHoliday;257234 said:
Define losers / riff-raff? Those without enough money to support themselves? Criminals? Whatever your definition, this change also hurts those staying here that are beneficial for the economy (bring money into the country and spend it here).
I think it is pretty clear who the losers are when you are in Thailand
Obviously guys like yourself are not..........but I wouldn't call spending a few thousand a month huge benefit to the country either
But certainly not a loser.............which there are way too many of

S

Suttoh

MarcTwoSix;257279 said:
I think it is pretty clear who the losers are when you are in Thailand
Obviously guys like yourself are not..........but I wouldn't call spending a few thousand a month huge benefit to the country either
But certainly not a loser.............which there are way too many of
obviously the losers are anyone in your estimation not affluent enough to be staying at the mecure or Bjork sky Mark??

Rockitt

I can't see why Thailand should be exempt from taking in losers. My country has been doing that for years.