The Thaiger - an excellent news site

kaptainrob

Administrator

I now turn to Thaiger for local and National news in Thailand as most other English language sites are severely lacking and/or clogged with advertising.

The ThaigerTalk Forum may be accessed via a link at the bottom of each article, just above the comments section. I joined up to help populate and post articles but as with most Forums, it's pretty slow at the moment.

Hopefully TT won't go the way of Thai Visa, now in severe decline, with its over-the-top advertising.

Oh AND .... any Visa, Covid Insurance or travel advice via The Thaiger is very good, I tested it for a mate recently.

bacwaan

I watch their evening news bulletin every day now..it has certatinly improved greatly over the past year and is my go to place for dissemimanetd "thai for farang" covid news...I note that they have started up a more conversational styled "good morning thailand" service...which I have only watched fleetingly as yet

Their "ask the thais" series is kinda fun sometimes when they have a fairly candid group of Thais on...its a bit amateurish but its interesting to hear these young thais views on Farang issues...

Their content is starting to evolve into a more mature "at home" service now with a few Thais and Leuk Kreung presenters and personalities starting to contribute

Last edited:

Cippy

Been my go to new for Thailand for years now. Used to be called something else didn't they? Anyway, I even stopped reading Khaosod English.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Been my go to new for Thailand for years now. Used to be called something else didn't they? Anyway, I even stopped reading Khaosod English.
Yes been around a while, Singapore media co, with Thailand site much improved recently. I stopped reading most other English sites a long time back, Farcebook news sites, especially the Chiang Mai one, provide up to the minute news, not last weeks!

bacwaan

For me it was very Phuket-Centric and a tad amateurish at first but has grown and developed its coverage to include a more Thailand wide outlook...over the past year or so it has started to do that pretty well imo..particularly its covid related reporting....and it has certainly benefited from the addition of new staff so Tim isn't spread so thin, plus new premises and a more professional cameras/broadcasting focus provided by an obvious recent injection of funds...

I find myself trusting it more and not fact (or fiction) checking its content against The Nation or BKK Post so much now

MarcTwoSix

That forum has got to be the most miserable, negative forum I have ever taken part in.

Just post after post of miserable c×nts over and over

I love the concept...... where news stories drive the forum
I find that extremely interesting

But fxuk me most of those guys SUCK!

I lasted probably a month too long

I need a hobby 5555

kaptainrob

Administrator
^ well most of the regulars got their training on tvf so it's nothinge new. You seemed to enjoy stirring them.

MarcTwoSix

^ well most of the regulars got their training on tvf so it's nothinge new. You seemed to enjoy stirring them.
Yeah I did but it is just too negative

I gave you a good shout out in my last post over there
And it's deserved
People like you and Nels enjoying your life there
Not whining and moaning
And still understanding the warts and all.
That's how it should be, guys like you two

I couldn't imagine living in a country and having such virtirol towards it

MarcTwoSix

By the way Bacon
I don't know if you could incorporate something like that where news stories are posted

It does drive conversations...

I liked that aspect of that miserable forum

kaptainrob

Administrator
Yeah I did but it is just too negative

I gave you a good shout out in my last post over there
And it's deserved
People like you and Nels enjoying your life there
Not whining and moaning
And still understanding the warts and all.
That's how it should be, guys like you two

I couldn't imagine living in a country and having such virtirol towards it
I saw the 'message', thanks.

The members I engage with are all +ve and well educated but seldom get involved in the shit-fights. You've engaged with one, SD, actually UK-based, another is in Tokyo. Those who do complain and cause most strife are generally US based or stranded here temporarily. I won't name them as it's not the right thing to do but you'd be surprised.

On the other hand, those you obviously rubbed the wrong way with your brusque charming manner have lived here for up to 30 years and are very happy with their family lifestyle but complain (they're not "moaning" as you call it) about the ridiculous hurdles placed on tourists in a so-called "no-quarantine opening".

Thaiger has it's faults but like any forum it's a battle to grow membership in such depressing times. Look at TD, no new members in how long? If not for Jokes and Sport we'd be like the Dodo.

MarcTwoSix

I saw the 'message', thanks.

The members I engage with are all +ve and well educated but seldom get involved in the shit-fights. You've engaged with one, SD, actually UK-based, another is in Tokyo. Those who do complain and cause most strife are generally US based or stranded here temporarily. I won't name them as it's not the right thing to do but you'd be surprised.

On the other hand, those you obviously rubbed the wrong way with your brusque charming manner have lived here for up to 30 years and are very happy with their family lifestyle but complain (they're not "moaning" as you call it) about the ridiculous hurdles placed on tourists in a so-called "no-quarantine opening".

Thaiger has it's faults but like any forum it's a battle to grow membership in such depressing times. Look at TD, no new members in how long? If not for Jokes and Sport we'd be like the Dodo.
But you don't see my point?
And it would be good for others to add their opinions on it

Sure three are hurdles
A) there is a pandemic that Thailand is still recovering from
B) it's Thailand, people want to live/go to Thailand because it's not like the west
But then it wants it to run like the west

My overall point is stop whining and do it
Go or don't go

There are thousands that have done the process
So you can do it if you really need to go

Or wait until things clear up

I've entered 3 countries during Covid
Granted none were as challenging as Thailand

But when I left Canada I thought we'd still have to quarantine in hotel on way back for about 35k baht

Luckily we didn't

But I wanted to see my family so made the choice to do whatever I needed to

That's just been my whole point all along

MarcTwoSix

Nomad just posted he's thinking of going but may hold off a bit to see how things shake out

That's rationale thinking
He's not whining and moaning

He's going to go when it works for him
And I'm sure if he really needed to go, he would have made it happen with the Sandbox

kaptainrob

Administrator
Nomad just posted he's thinking of going but may hold off a bit to see how things shake out

That's rationale thinking
He's not whining and moaning

He's going to go when it works for him
And I'm sure if he really needed to go, he would have made it happen with the Sandbox
Oh I see your point, it's the interpretation of 'whining and moaning' that's incorrect IMO. Those of us living here have seen the poor decision making and flip-flop of rules which has lead to many people like Nomad deciding it's not worth the hassle. Members are complaining or discussing those issues, not whining. You tend to wade into debates with the wrong members. I could send you a list of those to avoid though a shorter list is those you should engage with .... :p

The whole Government covid response, tourism handling and TAT's plans, projections, propaganda etc are a total disaster. A revolution may be Thailand's only (eventual) salvation unless a nut in manages to gain power, he's a mr T supporter and one of the main anti-prayut factions. I try and stay out of the political debates as there's nothing farangs can do that will change things. New Zealand's got almost as many problems and now heading in a similar direction to Lithuania but I don't enter debates on Kiwi forums to complain (or moan) though plenty of people are doing exactly that. Bugger all to like about current affairs, anywhere.

MarcTwoSix

Oh I see your point, it's the interpretation of 'whining and moaning' that's incorrect IMO. Those of us living here have seen the poor decision making and flip-flop of rules which has lead to many people like Nomad deciding it's not worth the hassle. Members are complaining or discussing those issues, not whining. You tend to wade into debates with the wrong members. I could send you a list of those to avoid though a shorter list is those you should engage with .... :p

The whole Government covid response, tourism handling and TAT's plans, projections, propaganda etc are a total disaster. A revolution may be Thailand's only (eventual) salvation unless a nut in manages to gain power, he's a mr T supporter and one of the main anti-prayut factions. I try and stay out of the political debates as there's nothing farangs can do that will change things. New Zealand's got almost as many problems and now heading in a similar direction to Lithuania but I don't enter debates on Kiwi forums to complain (or moan) though plenty of people are doing exactly that. Bugger all to like about current affairs, anywhere.
This guy in charge is a crook and an idiot
I said that from the start

But the same people up in arms about him would call the dead guy "His M" while the that guy amassed a fortune unseen by any other royal family while presiding over a poor country

I guess he bad better PR 55555

kaptainrob

Administrator
This guy in charge is a crook and an idiot
I said that from the start
P went off the rails when his mentor passed away and the factions began behind scenes manoeuvres. The most recent example is the complete about face of anutin since the leadership challenge. Prior, anutin was quiet as a mouse in regard to any health or other major issues, probably relishing the mistakes being made by P. Immediately after, he's not only outspoken but contrary to all statements made by prayut.
They're all crooks and any good that was begun after 2014 has been overtaken by recent events.

Nomad

Those of us living here have seen the poor decision making and flip-flop of rules which has lead to many people like Nomad deciding it's not worth the hassle.
My view is that rule changes are inevitable, so not a big consideration, and they are much more likely to get easier than harder. I just don't particularly want to go to the effort and then find that everything is pretty much on its knees and a depressing environment.

Nomad

^^ By the way, not expecting it to be in party mode, but a decent variety of live music and lay-back bars would be worth it for me.

PeteGill

^^ By the way, not expecting it to be in party mode, but a decent variety of live music and lay-back bars would be worth it for me.
A few beers in Country Roads listening to the band and you never know who you may bump in to 555

Aside from he fact that we (SA) are not yet on the Green List, I am still thinking of moving my Feb trip to a few months later. alow things to settle and more places to open up. My favourite music venue in CM is closed Hopefully by the time I get there they will have either reopened or found a new venue.