Time to return to LOS

MarcTwoSix

Finally made it home to Tauranga. We started this journey 7 years ago and it was disrupted by the death of Au's father, then the company I worked for went under so I ended up working on minimum wage for a while until I secured reasonable paying work. Then the Mother in Law had a stroke, then Covid arrived.

We are here now and things are just fine.
I really like this post @Cuzzy

You guys have your little life (like we all do) and overcame whatever you had to

To be honest
I'm a bit jealous
My wife is a veteran of living in the West now

I miss her being like a puppy. 😀

Cuzzy

Sooo.. after being back home for a week now here are some things that have changed that you guys will relate to

Long black hair everywhere
Hot water consumption through the roof with at least two showers a day
Electricity consumption as per above
First grocery shop o_O
Girls stuff everywhere
How many types of rice do we really need lol

The benefits of course are immense

Cuzzy

Bit of an update.
2 Months on and the girls have settled in well. Au has done the rounds of the Asain shops and found a supply of Isaan essentials for eating. Most are frozen imports so not as nice as fresh unfortunately.

Phaeya has started school last Thursday. First day in the new year for many schools here.
There was a welcome ceremony with a Powhiri (pofiry) which is a greeting and blessing in our Maori language by one of the local Kaumatua ( elders ). Quite a large number of new entrants to the school from a diverse ethnicity. 38 in total. The most they have had, ever. Philipines, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, England and of course their first Thai student.
She is realy enthusiastic about school, although language is an issue but that will soon change. Making friends is a big bonus as she was getting pretty bored hanging around with adults mostly.

Bought Phaeya a 2nd hand bicycle. I get to accompany her on many short rides after work which is good for me as my job is fairly sedentary - meaning I sit on my fat ass most of the day. Also bought her a Bodyboard for when we hit the beach at the Mt.
mount-maunganui-summit.jpg
mount-maunganui-summit.jpg
She loves the surf and it's quite a task to get her out of the water at times.
Top left corner of the pic is a rock outcrop that many people gather mussels from. There is also and abundance of juvenile sea life there. Got her a wetsuit and associated gear and we go for a snorkel and look occasionally. Again, getting her out of the water is a mission.
Such a big learning curve for her with so many new things that she has not before seen or experienced.

Can't remember if I mentioned this previously so will do it again. On our trip to BKK Inoticed to cockpit door was open as we boarded. I asked one of the FLs if Phaeya could have a look. She said that she would come and get her after we were seated. True enough, a short time later Phaeya was taken up front and shown the works and even sat in the big seat. She was really excited about that.

A short distance from home we have the local hospital with a helipad adjacent to the carpark. There is a resident helicopter that attends emergencies and patient transfers etc. It is quite busy at times. Phaeya has learnt to recognise the sound of them coming in. Often she grabs me and we are off on our bikes to watch them land. She's fascinated with them and tells me she wants to 'drive helicopter'. We'll see what happens lol. Plenty of things to get in the way of that idea although I will promote that as much as I can.
UWV5YPYU2TNQ6JAYFEICY4IYXU.jpgUWV5YPYU2TNQ6JAYFEICY4IYXU.jpg

She has had plenty of time to explore her drawing which is another quirky thing with her along with dancing, everywhere, including shops, the surf lol.

MarcTwoSix

Bit of an update.
2 Months on and the girls have settled in well. Au has done the rounds of the Asain shops and found a supply of Isaan essentials for eating. Most are frozen imports so not as nice as fresh unfortunately.

Phaeya has started school last Thursday. First day in the new year for many schools here.
There was a welcome ceremony with a Powhiri (pofiry) which is a greeting and blessing in our Maori language by one of the local Kaumatua ( elders ). Quite a large number of new entrants to the school from a diverse ethnicity. 38 in total. The most they have had, ever. Philipines, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, England and of course their first Thai student.
She is realy enthusiastic about school, although language is an issue but that will soon change. Making friends is a big bonus as she was getting pretty bored hanging around with adults mostly.

Bought Phaeya a 2nd hand bicycle. I get to accompany her on many short rides after work which is good for me as my job is fairly sedentary - meaning I sit on my fat ass most of the day. Also bought her a Bodyboard for when we hit the beach at the Mt.
View attachment 9934
View attachment 9934
Top left corner of the pic is a rock outcrop that many people gather mussels from. There is also and abundance of juvenile sea life there. Got her a wetsuit and associated gear and we go for a snorkel and look occasionally. Again, getting her out of the water is a mission.
Such a big learning curve for her with so many new things that she has not before seen or experienced.

Can't remember if I mentioned this previously so will do it again. On our trip to BKK Inoticed to cockpit door was open as we boarded. I asked one of the FLs if Phaeya could have a look. She said that she would come and get her after we were seated. True enough, a short time later Phaeya was taken up front and shown the works and even sat in the big seat. She was really excited about that.

A short distance from home we have the local hospital with a helipad adjacent to the carpark. There is a resident helicopter that attends emergencies and patient transfers etc. It is quite busy at times. Phaeya has learnt to recognise the sound of them coming in. Often she grabs me and we are off on our bikes to watch them land. She's fascinated with them and tells me she wants to 'drive helicopter'. We'll see what happens lol. Plenty of things to get in the way of that idea although I will promote that as much as I can.
View attachment 9935View attachment 9935

She has had plenty of time to explore her drawing which is another quirky thing with her along with dancing, everywhere, including shops, the surf lol.
That is an awesome update!!

You can see how happy you are in your writing

I'm thrilled for you

Last edited:

bacwaan

^ I'm thinking you mean "Awesome" there don't you?..55

I will say it for you..."bloody spellcheck"....

Quarky

Bit of an update.

View attachment 9934
View attachment 9934

View attachment 9935View attachment 9935

I miss that beach terribly..

Cuzzy

I miss that beach terribly..
Yeah it's choice.
Don't know when you were here last, lots of shit going down with the Tauranga City Council and the previous Labour Government installed Commissioners who replaced the elected City Councilors.

Regardless of that, there's still heaps to do and being by the sea is a big bonus.

Nomad

Much to PJs annoyance you can't take mussels and other shellfish from our beach. As a kid, the Greeks and Italians would strip it bare, then followed later by the Vietnamese.

Cuzzy

Much to PJs annoyance you can't take mussels and other shellfish from our beach. As a kid, the Greeks and Italians would strip it bare, then followed later by the Vietnamese.
Auckland has had the same issues with Islanders and Asians. And then there's the black market.

Bacon

Administrator
Sucks when the pillaging happens the other way around eh?

Cuzzy

School has been going well. Phaeya is happy and that's good. Her English is coming on better than Au. We were having a laugh yesterday when me and Phaeya took a walk to the local supermarket... 'honey, anything you want?' It took a couple of minutes to figure out she wanted sprouts, not sprrrrrats or splats, for the salad and soup. Another 55 moment for us.

Phaeya's fascination with helicopters continues. Surfing as she calls it almost every day when I get home, off to the beach again.

The school Phaeya is going to has been advised by the Department of Internal Affairs that all immigrant students need a Study Visa if they aren't Residents or Citizens or can provide proof that an application is in progress.

Au asked me why it has taken nearly 2 weeks to resurface 200 mtrs of road when Thailand can do it in a day. You know New Zealand, 10x the price, 10x the time.

Day off tomorrow, tides and moon phase are perfect for a fish off the beach surfcasting.

MarcTwoSix

School has been going well. Phaeya is happy and that's good. Her English is coming on better than Au. We were having a laugh yesterday when me and Phaeya took a walk to the local supermarket... 'honey, anything you want?' It took a couple of minutes to figure out she wanted sprouts, not sprrrrrats or splats, for the salad and soup. Another 55 moment for us.

Phaeya's fascination with helicopters continues. Surfing as she calls it almost every day when I get home, off to the beach again.

The school Phaeya is going to has been advised by the Department of Internal Affairs that all immigrant students need a Study Visa if they aren't Residents or Citizens or can provide proof that an application is in progress.

Au asked me why it has taken nearly 2 weeks to resurface 200 mtrs of road when Thailand can do it in a day. You know New Zealand, 10x the price, 10x the time.

Day off tomorrow, tides and moon phase are perfect for a fish off the beach surfcasting.
So what does the need for a visa mean for your daughter?

kaptainrob

Administrator

Beware of sinkholes when driving around town Cuz.

Cuzzy

Our daily cycle to the hospital helipad and skate bowl is our daily exercise.
Phaeya is starting to get bored and wants to get back to add school.
We walk the 1/2km at 3pm and walk back with a couple of her classmates.

Summer is officially over last week and the weather has definitely taken a cooler change at 20c or thereabouts. Both the girls are commenting on the cold 555. It ain't cold yet.

Had not of a spend up. Toyota Corolla hybrid and a pair of older Celestion hifi speakers. I'm very happy with both. The Toyota is returning 20 - 22km per litre around town and on our last 500km round trip to Auckland.

The Celestions are a retro trip for me as I foolishly sold a pair of DL10s some years ago. I'm currently running a Harmon Kardon HK980 amp and a $5 USB Bluetooth receiver streaming local radio and a subscription to Tidal via my Oppo A78 phone. All this going into Celestion DL4 bookshelf speakers which are sitting atop the very substantial Wharfedale stands that came with the Jade 1s I bought last year.
Hifi has been bit of a journey over 45 or so years.

MarcTwoSix

Downstairs to the Airport Link and at Solitaire in under 2hrs has to be a world record.
That seems a long time by the train time calculations??

I am thinking about doing the airport link for 1st time

I land at 6am so have plenty of time plus traffic might get crazy by the time I get out of airport

But I would be doing a lot of transfers

Airport link to Phaya Thai
BTS to Siam, change there to Saphan Taksin

Then the Chao Phraya bost from Saphan Taksin to Wanglang

But from my calculations I am thinking s/b about 90mins

Moo Uaon

Airport link to Phaya Thai
BTS to Siam, change there to Saphan Taksin

Then the Chao Phraya bost from Saphan Taksin to Wanglang
I use the train from the airport to Ibis Riverside all the time.
There are some changes but one of them is from one side of a platform to the other by memory.

Might be Phaya Thai there is a little bit of a walk but if you don't have a heap of luggage it's fairly easy.