To live in Thailand or The Philippines.

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;425565 said:
My wife loves Vancouver but loves Thailand more
She would also very much prefer we had family around us
Do you think eventually you'll move back to Boston? Or are you quite happy to stay in Vancouver well into old age?

I love Vancouver and could happily live there I'm sure. Even without family. Do you have good friends there who are almost like family?
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Quarky;425567 said:
Do you think eventually you'll move back to Boston? Or are you quite happy to stay in Vancouver well into old age?

I love Vancouver and could happily live there I'm sure. Even without family. Do you have good friends there who are almost like family?
I doubt I will ever live in Boston full time
I love it but it's so "small minded" that it gets to me quickly
Plus my family drives me nuts, even though I'm extremely close to them

But I'd like to start spending more time there
I am going to try and work out where I can work from Boston for 3weeks/month at a time

I have pretty good friends in Vancouver. I'm very lucky.
The thing is I have so many lifelong friends at home, no one I met in life after Boston will.never be as close

Except my best friend from NYC(his wife and him from Massachusetts though 555)
They are family along with their two kids
 

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;425569 said:
I doubt I will ever live in Boston full time

I love it but it's so "small minded" that it gets to me quickly

Plus my family drives me nuts, even though I'm extremely close to them



But I'd like to start spending more time there

I am going to try and work out where I can work from Boston for 3weeks/month at a time



I have pretty good friends in Vancouver. I'm very lucky.

The thing is I have so many lifelong friends at home, no one I met in life after Boston will.never be as close



Except my best friend from NYC(his wife and him from Massachusetts though 555)

They are family along with their two kids
That's the thing, it always seems your oldest friends are the best. Maybe because they knew you as a kid so you are completely transparent to them. Hard to beat the trust that comes with knowing you as a kid...
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;425569 said:
I doubt I will ever live in Boston full time
I love it but it's so "small minded" that it gets to me quickly

555 I had that very same conversation about 4 weeks back with my FIL and he gave the same reasons about Boston.

As they are getting older they are spending more time in the US, just not Boston...

I guess as you age spending more time in your country is important too.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
OZZYGUY;425573 said:
555 I had that very same conversation about 4 weeks back with my FIL and he gave the same reasons about Boston.

As they are getting older they are spending more time in the US, just not Boston...

I guess as you age spending more time in your country is important too.
If I lived back in Boston or decided to spend say half the year there
I would buy a place in downtown Boston
Probably the North End or South End

My neighborhood is literally a 7min and 10min drive from those 2 neighborhoods but a completely different world.....
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
OZZYGUY;425573 said:
I guess as you age spending more time in your country is important too.
I've run into so many expats in Thailand that bash their homes and brag about not being back in X years

I just feel sad for them
I don't know why you can't have both

I think some people feel the need to bash where they are from to justify living where they live

I haven't lived in Boston full time in 28 years
And I still love it

I've been gone from NYC for 16 years now and still love it

And will feel the same way about Vancouver and always come back here for visits if I move away from here
 

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;425577 said:
I've run into so many expats in Thailand that bash their homes and brag about not being back in X years

I just feel sad for them
I don't know why you can't have both

I think some people feel the need to bash where they are from to justify living where they live

I haven't lived in Boston full time in 28 years
And I still love it

I've been gone from NYC for 16 years now and still love it

And will feel the same way about Vancouver and always come back here for visits if I move away from here
I still love NZ, I guess the sad... or maybe it's good(?) thing is that I hardly know anyone in NZ any more... most people I grew up with have left.. and live overseas... and I can't think of one friend that still lives in the same neighbourhood we all grew up in... not helped because it's a bit of a rough area now compared to when I was a kid...
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;425577 said:
I've run into so many expats in Thailand that bash their homes and brag about not being back in X years

I just feel sad for them
I don't know why you can't have both

I think some people feel the need to bash where they are from to justify living where they live

I haven't lived in Boston full time in 28 years
And I still love it

I've been gone from NYC for 16 years now and still love it

And will feel the same way about Vancouver and always come back here for visits if I move away from here
Yeah If I lived outside of Aust at a guess at least every six months I would fly home. I have thought I would sell my house and buying a small place up in the city close to the airport. Put the kids in it and a place to stay when I come home.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Quarky;425580 said:
I still love NZ, I guess the sad... or maybe it's good(?) thing is that I hardly know anyone in NZ any more... most people I grew up with have left.. and live overseas... and I can't think of one friend that still lives in the same neighbourhood we all grew up in... not helped because it's a bit of a rough area now compared to when I was a kid...
Got home in December

Within 2 hours of landing I was with friends I've known for 45yrs, 42yrs, 40yrs and a few of the guys just a mere 35yrs....
 

justcruzing1

Active member
OZZYGUY;425573 said:
555 I had that very same conversation about 4 weeks back with my FIL and he gave the same reasons about Boston.

As they are getting older they are spending more time in the US, just not Boston...

I guess as you age spending more time in your country is important too
.
I'd say it depends on what you have done. How much of your own country you have seen when younger.

I never had any interest in visiting another country and spent my time seeing Aust. Didn't get a passport till I was 43 and that was just to go to NZ for my 2nd marriage.

My sisters are/were the same, but now they are visiting 3-4 different countries a year, now they are in their mid and late 50's.

I would think if you were living in another country and hadn't seen much of your own country, you might feel like you missed out on seeing your ground zero/roots etc.
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
justcruzing1;425604 said:
I'd say it depends on what you have done. How much of your own country you have seen when younger.

I never had any interest in visiting another country and spent my time seeing Aust. Didn't get a passport till I was 43 and that was just to go to NZ for my 2nd marriage.

My sisters are/were the same, but now they are visiting 3-4 different countries a year, now they are in their mid and late 50's.

I would think if you were living in another country and hadn't seen much of your own country, you might feel like you missed out on seeing your ground zero/roots etc.
it only takes me an hour or so to drive around my Island.... :)
 

justcruzing1

Active member
Stillearly;425605 said:
it only takes me an hour or so to drive around my Island.... :)
55555555 .....Now I understand why you travel ..:)

I think it takes about 12-13 days to drive my island if you don't get off the main road :)
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
justcruzing1;425604 said:
I'd say it depends on what you have done. How much of your own country you have seen when younger.

I never had any interest in visiting another country and spent my time seeing Aust. Didn't get a passport till I was 43 and that was just to go to NZ for my 2nd marriage.

My sisters are/were the same, but now they are visiting 3-4 different countries a year, now they are in their mid and late 50's.

I would think if you were living in another country and hadn't seen much of your own country, you might feel like you missed out on seeing your ground zero/roots etc.
Yeah I guess, I have seen a bit of Aust but more of Asia. Although since I been working the last few years have been getting out and about a bit more.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
justcruzing1;425604 said:
I'd say it depends on what you have done. How much of your own country you have seen when younger.

I never had any interest in visiting another country and spent my time seeing Aust. Didn't get a passport till I was 43 and that was just to go to NZ for my 2nd marriage.

My sisters are/were the same, but now they are visiting 3-4 different countries a year, now they are in their mid and late 50's.

I would think if you were living in another country and hadn't seen much of your own country, you might feel like you missed out on seeing your ground zero/roots etc.
I don't know how Australia is

But people really should enjoy parts of their own country they haven't seen

Us travelers always want to go to next place we never visited in foreign countries

But there is so many places in your own country

I'm fortunate that I travel all over the US for work
And I will usually try and tack on 2-3 days after biz to to a city I've never been that's in the region I'm in

Some of these smaller mid-sized cities in America are so cool
Blow away the bigger cities
 

Ian Forbes

New member
The last few days when I went out for meals I met men who had done a lot of traveling all over the globe. It was fascinating listening to their stories. Travel gives people a broader view of the world that you don't get any other way. This one fellow, Mike had spent a fair time in Africa and he had a good understanding of the problems there.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;425624 said:
I don't know how Australia is

But people really should enjoy parts of their own country they haven't seen

Us travelers always want to go to next place we never visited in foreign countries

But there is so many places in your own country

I'm fortunate that I travel all over the US for work
And I will usually try and tack on 2-3 days after biz to to a city I've never been that's in the region I'm in

Some of these smaller mid-sized cities in America are so cool
Blow away the bigger cities
The problem in Australia is its cheaper for us to holiday in Asia than our own back yard.

I can get a return flight to most places in Asia cheaper than return to any Australian city. And then add food, hotels etc a Australian holiday is expensive.

And Bali is even closer to fly.
 

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;425595 said:
Got home in December

Within 2 hours of landing I was with friends I've known for 45yrs, 42yrs, 40yrs and a few of the guys just a mere 35yrs....
I think Kiwis are travellers by nature... we are so far from anywhere else... where I grew up there was no sense of community really.. just a big suburb... with one pub... I think I know one person from school days who still lives in the area...
 

justcruzing1

Active member
Quarky;425649 said:
I think Kiwis are travellers by nature... we are so far from anywhere else... where I grew up there was no sense of community really.. just a big suburb... with one pub... I think I know one person from school days who still lives in the area...
Reminds me of the old saying....last one out of NZ turn out the lights!! 5555555
 

justcruzing1

Active member
As Aussie points out, overseas travel is often cheaper than domestic. It is crazy.

I can fly from here on the east coast, to BKK return, for the same or less price to fly to Perth. So a 9.5hr flight compared to 4hrs, each way.

I think that is one of the things that give the younger generation the ability to travel so much. We never had low cost airlines, they were all full service and prices set, no discount.

In 1977 when i was in Perth, it was $1,300 to fly to Sydney. Basic wages were $250pw.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
justcruzing1;425656 said:
As Aussie points out, overseas travel is often cheaper than domestic. It is crazy.

I can fly from here on the east coast, to BKK return, for the same or less price to fly to Perth. So a 9.5hr flight compared to 4hrs, each way.

I think that is one of the things that give the younger generation the ability to travel so much. We never had low cost airlines, they were all full service and prices set, no discount.

In 1977 when i was in Perth, it was $1,300 to fly to Sydney. Basic wages were $250pw.
That is mostly true in Canada. I can fly to Asia cheaper than flying to eastern Canada.
 
Top