Today's "crackdown" - overstayers

M

meese

Ian Forbes;346740 said:

If you are in the country and contributing to Thai society, either directly or indirectly, I don't see much harm in it. It doesn't matter if I contribute 100 baht or 5 million baht to Thailand, I'm still contributing and taking nothing away from the country.

It is entirely different with foreigners on welfare in Canada. They contribute nothing and yet are a drain the economy. There is very little welfare for foreigners in Thailand.. if any. It's only when they die destitute in Thailand that taking care of the remains costs something.
i often wonder if you ever stop and read what you have written....what makes you think you are are contributing to thai society(has any one noticed) and those in canada are not contributing to canadian society..it always strikes me that people accept things in thailand that they would never do in there home country's...

Ian Forbes

meese;346817 said:
i often wonder if you ever stop and read what you have written....what makes you think you are are contributing to thai society(has any one noticed) and those in canada are not contributing to canadian society..it always strikes me that people accept things in thailand that they would never do in there home country's...
So what you are saying is that all tourists do not contribute to the Thai economy.

I pay rent in a Thai hotel for 5 months. I buy food here the 5 months. I bought a motorbike here and pay insurance here, and buy fuel here. If I go to a doctor or dentist I pay up front. I help support 3 families in Thailand. If that is not contributing then I don't know what is.

At this point in my life I contribute more to the Thai economy than I do the Canadian economy.

Ian Forbes

it always strikes me that people accept things in thailand that they would never do in there home country's...
What are we accepting in Thailand that we don't accept in our own countries?

I can think of a few things such as proper police traffic control. A bit less corruption in real estate. Far fewer traffic accidents. Cleaner water. A bit less garbage. Good building codes that are adhered to.

And, men in Canada are required by law to be responsible for any children they father. That is not the case in Thailand, and consequently there are hundreds of thousands of unwed young mothers with no means of support.

Ian Forbes

Cuzzy;346825 said:
CRACKDOWN.....

Not overstayers but still... a crackdown on Taxis.

Tourist Police vow crackdown on taxi drivers’ scams
I think all of us got scammed at some point by taxi drivers. It's only until you've been here a while that you begin to understand the price of things and what it should cost to go from point A to point B.

However, I'm not sure how the police would be able to check if a taxi was scamming someone unless the policeman looked like a foreigner.

M

meese

Ian Forbes;346821 said:
So what you are saying is that all tourists do not contribute to the Thai economy.

I pay rent in a Thai hotel for 5 months. I buy food here the 5 months. I bought a motorbike here and pay insurance here, and buy fuel here. If I go to a doctor or dentist I pay up front. I help support 3 families in Thailand. If that is not contributing then I don't know what is.

At this point in my life I contribute more to the Thai economy than I do the Canadian economy.
the thais will be forever gratefull ian ....unlike the canadians 55555....

M

meese

Ian Forbes;346823 said:
What are we accepting in Thailand that we don't accept in our own countries?

I can think of a few things such as proper police traffic control. A bit less corruption in real estate. Far fewer traffic accidents. Cleaner water. A bit less garbage. Good building codes that are adhered to.

And, men in Canada are required by law to be responsible for any children they father. That is not the case in Thailand, and consequently there are hundreds of thousands of unwed young mothers with no means of support.
canada wants you back 555555....

Ian Forbes

meese;346855 said:
canada wants you back 555555....
Not bloody likely, meese. At my age I begin to become a dredge on society. Old folks have to visit doctors and hospitals more often. Our politicians would be happier if we just died shortly after retirement. They HATE paying out all that pension money we contributed to over 50 years of working. 5555

Ian Forbes

meese;346854 said:
the thais will be forever gratefull ian ....unlike the canadians 55555....
Actually, I think most Canadians are thankful for living where they do. There are flaws in all societies, but for the most part, Canada is a pretty good place to live.

The Thais I am friends with know what I do for them. The friendship goes both ways.

P

phaisan

Hatari;346694 said:
Even small NZ has a problem with overstayers, 10,894 as at October 2017 (that Immigration know of) despite catching/sending back 2184 in last 12 months
I met a recently returned overstayer from NZ, she had been their 22 years as an illegal.

P

phaisan

meese;346709 said:
the overstayers somehow think they are being harshly treated..like the thais are being unreasonable 5555555...
Sometimes they are, with the example I gave above, the lady has 3 children under 18 who are NZ citizens, she has worked (illegally but self employed with husband) all that time, never committed a crime, been in trouble with the police etc. Her kids are top of their class (or near to it) In fact her oldest is head girl in her year 12 class. She never received welfare or any government services or directly cost the NZ government anything.

She has lived longer in NZ then Thailand. She accepts she did the wrong thing, but didn't know how to fix it.

But NZ are still happy to deprive 3 NZ children/citizens of their mother.

Harsh or not?

Ian Forbes

phaisan;346925 said:
Sometimes they are, with the example I gave above, the lady has 3 children under 18 who are NZ citizens, she has worked (illegally but self employed with husband) all that time, never committed a crime, been in trouble with the police etc. Her kids are top of their class (or near to it) In fact her oldest is head girl in her year 12 class. She never received welfare or any government services or directly cost the NZ government anything.

She has lived longer in NZ then Thailand. She accepts she did the wrong thing, but didn't know how to fix it.

Harsh or not?
That is where common sense should factor into the equation... but often doesn't. There should always be a "Get out of jail free" card available for such situations.

MarcTwoSix

phaisan;346925 said:

Harsh or not?
Sorry if you go 22 years without properly gaining residence than it's her own fault

People should take their immigration serious......if for no other reason it messed it up for future immigrants if enough people abuse the system

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;346939 said:
That is where common sense should factor into the equation... but often doesn't. There should always be a "Get out of jail free" card available for such situations.
Funny you complain about Canadian immigration all the time but want to give someone who abused the system for 2 decades a "get out jail free" card
It doesn't work that way

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;346954 said:
Funny you complain about Canadian immigration all the time but want to give someone who abused the system for 2 decades a "get out jail free" card
It doesn't work that way
I don't call what she did..."abusing the system". She contributed to the country and didn't ask anything in return. I know a few similar cases in Canada where some leniency should have take place. I don't "quite" burn everyone at the stake.

And, we can make a comparison...

Right now, Canada is inviting back some former ISIS terrorists who left Canada to cut the heads off infidels and rape little children. I think they've already let back into Canada about 200 of these "model" citizens. These creeps "supposedly" are being "watched". What a joke that is. Canada is full of mental case men who were tried and convicted of violent crimes, and yet are walking around free with the understanding that they will take their medication. About once a month some over worked social worker comes by and asks the axe murderer if he is taking his meds, and then leaves.

My complaint about Canadian immigration is they are too strict with one group of people and yet go over board with leniency for others. I'm all for immigration, but I would put in a 10 year waiting period before someone could become an actual citizen. If they screw up within that time frame they get kicked out.

Cuzzy

Ian Forbes;346957 said:
I don't call what she did..."abusing the system". She contributed to the country and didn't ask anything in return.

My complaint about Canadian immigration is they are too strict with one group of people and yet go over board with leniency for others. I'm all for immigration, but I would put in a 10 year waiting period before someone could become an actual citizen. If they screw up within that time frame they get kicked out.

I agrre with you on this...

The same standards, or should I say double standards, are applied in NZ.

How's this... from earlier in the year. A recidivist sex offender, an immigrant from Afghanistan allowed to stay.

https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2017/04/sultan_ali_abdul_ali_akbari_must_go.html

There are so many cases of double standards applied in most western countries. The people like the ones phaisan highlighted are given no chance. It is a shame she didn't go through the proper process at the start.

P

phaisan

MarcTwoSix;346953 said:
Sorry if you go 22 years without properly gaining residence than it's her own fault

People should take their immigration serious......if for no other reason it messed it up for future immigrants if enough people abuse the system
Things aren't as black and white as you state, granted I didn't tell you all the facts.

Gaining proper residence isn't easy, especially for someone who only finished primary school and doesn't understand the system or the language (and listens to NZ Thai's to much), the lady in question has been controlled and abused (physically) by her NZ husband for the last 10+ years because he knew she couldn't (or more accurately wouldn't) go to the police.

Going to the police/immigration would mean being deported with the possibility of never seeing her kids again.

It took her a long time to convince her and for her get the courage to go to them for help.

Yes they deported her, but because she came forward, was upfront and honest about everything, paid for her return fare to Thailand, (all things most people wouldn't understand that are important) they didn't ban her from applying for a valid visa and returning.

She understands she did the wrong thing, but dug a whole so deep she didn't know how to get out.

P

phaisan

Ian Forbes;346957 said:
I don't call what she did..."abusing the system". She contributed to the country and didn't ask anything in return. I know a few similar cases in Canada where some leniency should have take place. I don't "quite" burn everyone at the stake.
To the credit of NZ immigration the officers involved treated her with respect and fairly, they had certain rules they have to follow but understood the reasons, so exercised discretion where they could.

Ian Forbes

phaisan;347011 said:
To the credit of NZ immigration the officers involved treated her with respect and fairly, they had certain rules they have to follow but understood the reasons, so exercised discretion where they could.
I like the fact that she can apply for immigration through normal channels, and is likely to get it considering the circumstances. Staying in abusive relationship was just not a wise decision.