Today's "crackdown" - overstayers

kaptainrob

Administrator
Cuzzy;348809 said:
^^ yes I was being facetious.

I call them plastic buddhists as well although that is in comparison to my friends from Bhutan.

Long gone, and rightfully so, are the days of riding helmetless. When on my first bike, a Honda 125, I remember the breeze through my hair. It wasn't long after I first started riding helmets became mandatory. Sh1t that was in 1971. Had a mini also 555. We could do Bucklands Beach to North Head in Devonport in about 40 minutes. Not a chance now.
Flat out doing Queen St to North Head in 40 mins. 55 I remember when city bars were closed on Sundays, (I think it was lunch trading maybe all day?), and we'd head up north to Puhoi in a mate's ute. Mattress in back for comfort and all pissed as on the way home late arvo ... similarity with Thailand very strong!
 

Cuzzy

Active member
Ahhh the good old days mate.

Puhoi was a favourite for us to. A mates uncles used to play the accordians outside on the weekends. They lived over the hills behind at Ahuroa. We would spend the night there and knock over a couple of sheep to tske home the next day.

Miss those times...
 

kaptainrob

Administrator
^We took girls with us, didn't have to knock over any sheep. 55

Puhoi pub looked like this back then (~1970), now has terraced areas in front for tables and special event marquees.

 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kaptainrob;348786 said:
Tch tch Cuz ... Thailand is certainly NOT a 3rd World country. Google the cliche and see what it really means (or once meant).
Last time I went out I saw roads, electric poles, hospitals, schools and even modern cars ... 55

Thai road carnage is very high although stats published by various media often fail to discern between motorbike and other vehicular deaths. The education process is happening, albeit too slowly, and Thailand lags ~ 40 odd years behind the West. Unfortunately for Thai's, modern engine technology = higher speeds, compared to when I was running around NZ helmetless, 1st on a 50cc DKW, later on a Norton Dominator, or doing 100mph past Meremere in my worked Mini 1000. Far less traffic too!
What would you call Thailand, I'd imagine a Developing country or an emerging market (although that has stalled a bit, IMO)

As you say i wouldn't call it 3rd world.
And actually the only criteria it might meet to be lumped in as 3rd world is a middling HDI index ranking but even that is not that bad.

I remember when I lived in Thailand.
Thinking I was roughing in a "3rd world country " and then I went yo Cambodia and definitely decided Thailand wasn't 3rd World 5555
 

Ian Forbes

New member
I was talking to a smart businessman in Chiang Mai who has run a successful café/restaurant for at least the 15 years I've known him. He mentioned that the parameters have really changed over the past 10 years.

He said that at one time it was Thailand that was THE destination country, and tourists stayed for weeks or months. But that has changed with the opening of nearby countries and an their improved tourist sector. Now, Thailand is just a short time stop off to somewhere else. That kind of backs up what I've noticed over the past 10 years.

From personal friend's information, there are lots of men who now spend more time in Vietnam and Cambodia, than Thailand. Even Myanmar is opening up.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Ian Forbes;348845 said:
I was talking to a smart businessman in Chiang Mai who has run a successful café/restaurant for at least the 15 years I've known him. He mentioned that the parameters have really changed over the past 10 years.

He said that at one time it was Thailand that was THE destination country, and tourists stayed for weeks or months. But that has changed with the opening of nearby countries and an their improved tourist sector. Now, Thailand is just a short time stop off to somewhere else. That kind of backs up what I've noticed over the past 10 years.

From personal friend's information, there are lots of men who now spend more time in Vietnam and Cambodia, than Thailand. Even Myanmar is opening up.
I don't know why anyone would support Myanmar with what is going on there with the Rohingya
I really wanted to go and see it but not with that sort of shit going on
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Ian Forbes;348845 said:
I was talking to a smart businessman in Chiang Mai who has run a successful café/restaurant for at least the 15 years I've known him. He mentioned that the parameters have really changed over the past 10 years.

He said that at one time it was Thailand that was THE destination country, and tourists stayed for weeks or months. But that has changed with the opening of nearby countries and an their improved tourist sector. Now, Thailand is just a short time stop off to somewhere else. That kind of backs up what I've noticed over the past 10 years.

From personal friend's information, there are lots of men who now spend more time in Vietnam and Cambodia, than Thailand. Even Myanmar is opening up.
I still think Thailand is still far ahead as the choice destination for new travellers to SEA....maybe even 1st time travellers to all of Asia
 

PeteGill

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;348849 said:
I still think Thailand is still far ahead as the choice destination for new travellers to SEA....maybe even 1st time travellers to all of Asia
Most that I know will have done LOS first and then branched out to the other SEA destinations over time. And I am more talking families and couples here.

The demographics have changed tourism wise, they always will. Up North the big groups are Chinese and back packers. My little GH has opened a second place across the road that just caters for the back packer crowd. You just have to keep one step ahead of changing trends.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
I agree, Pete. It is the demographics that has changed. You don't see the long term stayers (and OVER-stayers) as much any more. And, the place seems over run with Chinese. I didn't seem to notice them so much 10 years ago. The night market area in Chiang Mai has been full of them, and most travel in groups and stay in the same hotels.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
MarcTwoSix;348848 said:
I don't know why anyone would support Myanmar with what is going on there with the Rohingya
I really wanted to go and see it but not with that sort of shit going on
The leaders in Myanmar haven't changed much in the 20 years I've been coming to Thailand. 20 years ago the Burmese army were hunting down the hill tribe people and murdering them under the guise of who knows what reason.
 

Quarky

Administrator
kaptainrob;348831 said:
^We took girls with us, didn't have to knock over any sheep. 55

Puhoi pub looked like this back then (~1970), now has terraced areas in front for tables and special event marquees.

Never even knew it existed... I only went past that area en-route to Wenderholm... 55
 
Top