Train travel expert.

Rockitt

I also passed the new building work of Bang Sue. I have not seen it since April but it is coming along nicely now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Forbes

Rockitt;419918 said:
I extended my 30 days today and had to go to Bangkok immigration. Staying in the Ratchada area, I got the MRT to Chatuchak Park then jumped on the number 52 bus which goes past the Government building. 12baht metro and 30 baht bus.
But nothing is as cheap as the mainline trains. After getting my extension sorted I walked to Lak Si station, which is two stops south of Don Mueang station and rode the train all the way in to Hua Lamphong for the grand sum of 4 baht. 555
Reports like yours is where this forum comes in handy for new travelers, or those who are new to an area (bus stations, train depots, airports etc). A little bit of local knowledge can save you some grief and extra time and cost.

mechime

I also passed the new building work of Bang Sue. I have not seen it since April but it is coming along nicely now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do hope they have managed to connect ground and interservices this time ; the Suvarnabhumi - Makkasan line is such a missfit.
Years back I did a #34 bus trip from my hotel The Royal Bee, near Lak Si to Monument, it looped, doubled and then joined the already jammed express-way what a journey, don't know if the BTS is complete for that region?

Cuzzy

2006 our niece and her hubby to be arranged a 'Thai' style wedding in Chiang Mai. Ruth, being a Kiwi and hubby to be Neville was from England, decided Thailand was roughly 1/2 way between the two countries and made Chiang Mai the venue.

Me and the ex and the grooms parents parents were the oldest on the trip. Most of the others, about 30 people in total, were in their late 20's to early 30's.

We all arrived in BKK over a three day period and spent 8 days there. Did the usual tourist stuff although I did sidetrack some of the guys and took them to the usual bar haunts when the women wanted to do women stuff.

We made our way to CM on the overnight train. The Journey started about 2 hours late due to some problem with a couple of the carriages but mai bpen rai.

As one would expect, we pretty much partied all night.

One of the most memorable things on that trip was the prolonged absence of my niece, the bride to be.

Someone asked... 'where's Ruth?'
A friend replied.. 'She's gone to the dunny'
Someone else said.. 'she's been there for ages'

So, 3 or 4 of us went to see what had happened.

Ruth, who was very slim at that time had got herself stuck in the squat toilet. She was squatting on the toilet and slipped off with her butt going down the toilet pan when we hit a turn or something. She ended with her legs up in the air unable to extract herself and had been waiting for someone to come find her.

I wanted to take a photo but noooo... 55

Rockitt

Last weekend I spent time in Kanchanaburi. I caught the morning train from Thon Buri to Wang Pho. From there on to Nam Tok which is a beautiful part of the trip.
Stopped off at Tam Krasae to get a few pictures of the trestled section of track. I was shocked at some of the tourists that were standing in front of the slow moving train, just to get a selfie. Horns blasting but no real urgency to get out of the way.45351C9E-2119-4580-9B0C-56EAA67C9276.jpeg024F7B82-E7C7-4A79-80D0-6AEE58360838.jpeg4C37D0F2-9A54-4E0E-8DEB-39524A92A3D9.jpeg7BDA0066-C741-48EE-B02D-7C631BD98DF2.jpegFB99B1CA-BE0E-4A12-9C71-70E398EA5AD3.jpeg45351C9E-2119-4580-9B0C-56EAA67C9276.jpeg

MarcTwoSix

My wife and I enjoyed our brief stay in Kanchanaburi this last time

And since the new house is much closer we may head up there a bit more

Moo Uaon

I thought the cable car up was better than the train....nice old train though and the obligatory shot over the waterfall was awesome.

1-Skyrail-Hero-Lead-Image3.jpg

Kuranda-Scenic-Rail-experience.jpg

Rockitt

I looked in on the new station at Bang Sue yesterday. Renamed Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal Station to make things easier 555.

It’s more like an airport terminal with different levels for different services. It’s still not fully functional yet but they are getting there.
C664312B-27A8-42E2-AA94-BF4CE0149EF9.jpeg9396AED9-B3D4-4A82-A88D-2EDEB759DF21.jpegD1913269-37EB-4670-866F-D172A571313B.jpegD48A3822-5423-4641-8246-5A3D2955A781.jpeg450B7649-7EB1-4458-8C0F-C9A3788693A6.jpeg
I’ve also seen a few of the new Chinese built locomotives running on the long distance routes. I believe they have 20 new locos and another batch arriving next year.
I took these pictures in June before they entered service.

MarcTwoSix

Last weekend I spent time in Kanchanaburi. I caught the morning train from Thon Buri to Wang Pho. From there on to Nam Tok which is a beautiful part of the trip.
Stopped off at Tam Krasae to get a few pictures of the trestled section of track. I was shocked at some of the tourists that were standing in front of the slow moving train, just to get a selfie. Horns blasting but no real urgency to get out of the way.View attachment 5197View attachment 5198View attachment 5199View attachment 5200View attachment 5201View attachment 5197
Always enjoy your Train posts Rockitt

MarcTwoSix

Cheers mate.
Tomorrow I’m going to Prachuap Khiri Khan, a couple of hours south of Hua Hin.
5.5 hours by train from Bangkok. Staying a couple of nights.
there is a nice little section of restaurants on the beach there, I am sure you will find it