Traveling a bit further with Ted

Quarky

Administrator
What's wrong with the colour? Looks a metal colour? Silverish... ..55

So which house will finish first? Yours or Weitlings...

C

Changone

Depends if he's offering his workers an "Early completion" bonus...555

No bonus for anything, they are getting paid well as it is and the contractor is being very well paid for his contribution. He told me 65 days to completion and I think he could do it however, I asked him to get the house to lock-up stage and then stop work while I get some more cash together. It wouldn't surprise me if he just finishes the project in 65 days to prove a point, Architects... they are a weird mob.

Its a funny way to have a house built but I have no idea what anything is costing. Sure every thing will sort itself out, the price you pay for not being hands on 55

The wife will be shopping for fittings and fixtures tomorrow, hopefully she has a reasonable budget and doesn't get the cheapest of everything. She knows I do not want Thai style crap, an interesting time and I am looking forward to seeing the little lady shine.

retdent

Hi 1080,

Good Luck with the build, hope all goes well. I too am just starting to build, and find it hard to get my head around things. I was ready to start 3 weeks ago, but got stopped in my tracks, 'not good luck, have to wait until May 8 for blessing'. Anyway pegged out and some steel has arrived.

"Not good luck", yep heard that one before 55
Have a good team of relatives on the job and I think it will turn out good enough.
I just remind myself not to stress out too much, just pay the bills.

The house build is moving along at a rapid pace and the construction fairy is keeping a close eye on things.

Sydney

The seems a constant with these building theads .... the pace of construction in pretty impressive ...

I am actually looking forward to the photo with the roof and walls up ... as i can't make my mind up about the roof color ... you didn't sound to chuffed, is there others in the bahn that looked no good with that colour ?

MarcTwoSix

I appreciate you putting the costs in your thread
I understand if most like to keep that private but I am always curious to know what these cost

I have no idea of the cost of things apart from the workers are on about 400 baht a day, family, so really I am paying a good rate but that is OK with me. Most of the crew I know and they are doing a good job and are looking out for my wife and myself.
The less I ask of the contractor the more I get in return, he is still learning the business and is putting in a solid effort as far as I can see.
700000 baht should bring the house up to lock-up stage and we will take things from there.

Fon is managing well also, she has a lot on her plate at the moment, raising 12 pigs, looking after the fish ponds, marketing the fish and not to mention a 21 month old baby to raise on her own. All things considered I would have to say that I am rather happy with the outcome.

The actual cost of materials does not differ greatly from Australian prices but we have had no administration costs such as Local Government fees for permits, no costs regarding work place health and safety, stamp duty etc, etc it just goes on and on. As an aside I live on a rural property of 400 acres with my closest neighbor 1.5 klm's away, the boss has to pay $1200.00 for the septic system to be inspected per year, now that's just taking the piss.

W

weitling

1080;283222 said:
The actual cost of materials does not differ greatly from Australian.
Wow! i'm impressed i believed Australien was more expensive. Material cost for our house is very much cheaper compared to Denmark. Only electronics i can find cheaper in Denmark. I also pay 400 Bath / Day and it works out fine. By the way i see you use the same brick as i do. Good luck with the project.

If you were to look at like for like on materials the costs would be comparable weitling. The costs involved with the build are what astounds me in Australia, for a start you need engineering plans for the structure to apply for a building permit, soil tests, environmental assessment plan, building inspections at various stages of construction, temporary fencing around the building site full scaffolding on site and it goes on and on.

I do not think I could build a shed using single skinned walls or use the gauge of roofing iron I am using in Thailand. Fire ratings and insulation ratings all come into play.

All the above restrictions and regulations give a lot of people a job and helps to protect the end consumer but its not for me. I could not afford to build this house in Australia.

Then there is the labor component, trades start at 10000.00 baht per day per worker and up to 15000.00 baht for plumbers, electricians etc.

The build is into the 17th day now so I will put up a few photos of the progress.

Sorry no can do on the photos as my internet connection is too slow, might have to wait until Sunday. Seems I have used my monthly quota of 20 GB of data already.

W

weitling

I see then you have some quit high extra cost. Good luck with the project and please post pictures, when you can do. The "labor components", is that money go to the union?

Just got a call from the village, a huge storm went through the place, quite a few homes un-roofed including the wife's family house, looks like the budget is a little shaken. No one in the village was injured but a few families will be sleeping under my new roof tonight, bless em.

The house might not be built to earthquake standard but it appears to be undamaged.

The first photo is the wife's home and the second is the neighbors home, a coconut tree almost demolished their place.

MarcTwoSix

It's good you seem to know a bit about building

I don't have a clue.

When we build a house, it will strictly be for my MIL and to Thai standards the way she wants it.
So just set a budget and let them deal with it.

Trying to post some photos but am having some trouble with the advanced settings?

Done a little building in my time M26 and yes Thai style is best left to the Thai's. They seem to be doing a decent job.

Work on the house has been going along quite smoothly, no accidents or catastrophes that I am aware of.
Still not sure about the Photo bucket idea so I will just post some snaps in the usual fashion.

Looks much better this week as the render goes on and the doorways are in place.
We have the youngest sister and dad in one photo, they are all getting stuck into it.

Seems there is no stopping the crew now, bathroom tiles, kitchen, decorating. I think I am going to be reasonably happy with the place.
Think I mentioned before that the boss wants to have it all wrapped up in 65 days, I think he is going to do.
On Budget and on time.

Rivo

The 3 x feature windows at the front look great Ted..............................Is that the finished colour on the colomns ?.................goes well with the roof colour if it is.