Traveling a bit further with Ted

Hopefully she will also have a career as an Aged Care Worker... I am very proud of the work she has done and all our family for that matter.
Has to be the easiest house build i have been involved in.

Our builder has been a treat and should get some good mileage out of the build also. Thanks cousin.

"Mmmh... garden looking good but is that a baby bump or someone getting pompouy? 55"

Your not saying my wife is fat are you 5555

Home cooking Rob, she's happy. I hope that's what is is.

weitling;288096 said:
Looking very good. How much did you pay for the gras
2000 baht for the grass. We will wait and see if it grows before I think about getting a mower.

Been awhile, I went over home last month and spent three weeks in the new house, 48 kms out of Korat. Three weeks was no where long enough, I will say that from the start.
I arrived after an uneventful drive from BKK, well apart from the usual madness of some road users, to the view of our new home in the back roads of Nong Ban Mak, felt relieved as it didn't look at all ostentatious.

The wife and family, Mom, Dad two sisters and my beautiful daughter greeted me on arrival with smiles, hugs and kisses, I felt good.

The last time I was in the village we had some some pegs in the ground and some string lines outlining the proposed house and whilst I have had a photo- documentary of the build this was my first view of the actual house and finished product. Fon was beaming and so she should be, the clan had done an outstanding job.

Anyway, after the greetings I picked up my wife and carried her over the threshold into the house, as you do, and pointed her to the engine room, doh, sorry not yet, that came later. We did a quick look around and I was OK with most of what I saw. I was not going to spoil the moment with what I regarded as obvious flaws in the workmanship of the build. We then settled in to some food and duty free grog and enjoyed the sunset. I did get to set up my laptop and watch the Moto GP race in Brno, not bad internet out in the sticks. Thanks for thinking of me Lew.

This will be a slow retrospective TR and I will be focusing mainly on the aspects of the house build but then again I might just ramble on. I have steered away from social media over the past month or so and I think it has done me some good, lets see.
Cheers

Bacon

Administrator
Good stuff mate, congrats. I take it pics of the house are to follow.

Sorry I haven't kept up closely here. So what's the future plan?

retdent

Welcome back, look forward to what happened. I will bet that we have some similarities in the process of the build.

First night back in the village and my first nights sleep in our new home.
Hot was my first impression, no screens on the windows or doors and with everything closed up to keep the insects out, well you can imagine it. We only have a couple of fans for cooling but with everything closed that doesn't help much. Oh and no bed yet only mats to sleep on.

Up bright and early and away we go to Korat for a spot of shopping, Do Home was the place we went to and that was where we spent a few hours getting the essentials for the house.

I asked for same day delivery and a discount as I was spending a fair amount of cash, this was agreed to but then the pressure was on to select everything before noon for the delivery side of things.

TV, washing machine, fridge, bed, kitchen cupboard, nick-nacs, sofa, pillows, bathroom accessories all purchased at a frenetic pace only to be informed that delivery would be in two days time. By now the outlay had reached 70.000 baht so I looked at the wife looked at our sales lady and said " delivery today or I go to Home Pro" it took about three minutes and a phone call, delivery at 3.00 pm sir. Monkeys...

All in all a good result, even had time to whip over the road to Makro for some grocery shopping.

The goods turned up on time and with the help of a few of neighbors all was unpacked, assembled and cleaned up by beer o'çlock.

The satellite guy turned up in the mean time and did his thing, dish on the roof, TV mounted on the wall. Every thing worked, a good days work.

Still very basic and we need another bed and wardrobes, shit loads of stuff really but the house is filling up and doesn't have such an echo to it now. All in good time.

The first thing that I really noticed was the shower installation. Poor to pathetic was my reaction. The jokers tried to seal the shower base to the tiles with grout, like about three inches up the tiles, what a mess. It looked like the daughter had done it after a finger painting class. Sorry I did not take a before photo but I was too disgusted. Mentioned it to the builder, you know water leaking over the floor because of the lack of a seal so he showed me that the floor waste would take care of the overflow. TiT moment.

I used an old knife and a paint scraper to clean the grout off the tiles and went and bought some silicone and a mastic gun from the local hardware and fixed it all over the next couple of days. Must have been a first for the crew ( shower cabinet) because fair dinkum, it was a mess.

I think it was Zab who mentioned that he bought a spirit level for his renovating crew, wish I done the same. No photos but old mate electrician could have used one when mounting power and light switches the walls. At least they all worked.

retdent

1080;300672 said:
I think it was Zab who mentioned that he bought a spirit level for his renovating crew, wish I done the same. No photos but old mate electrician could have used one when mounting power and light switches the walls. At least they all worked.
I noticed the same thing here with a new build not far away, range hood, air cons crooked, (perhaps the ceiling was not level). Power outlets were crooked and gaps between them and the walls, ie, covers did not go all the way over hole. I think that I will follow the Kaptain's lead and mark everything with a laser level for them.

We have a new Du Home here. Excellent range of products, staff that actually help instead of running away and good pricing.

All the best and enjoy it.

Yer any sort of level would have been handy 55 The block work and general construction seems to fine but the joker with the level must have cleared out before the finishing stage.

I do envy the man who has the time to be able to supervise his build in Thailand because there are definitely things I would have done differently instead of taking short cuts as the locals seem to do.

The plumbing works but why the shower is plumbed into the septic when the kitchen sink is not has me perplexed, gray water is just that and could have been diverted to the back gardens, makes your choice of cleaning products in the bath room difficult as you just can not put things like bleach into your septic and expect it to work as it should. Then again I was looking for an expiration trench and there is none. Later I spose.

This out door area out the back is well used. Laundry, BBQ and its cool in the evening.

MarcTwoSix

1080;300676 said:
Yer any sort of level would have been handy 55 The block work and general construction seems to fine but the joker with the level must have cleared out before the finishing stage.

I do envy the man who has the time to be able to supervise his build in Thailand because there are definitely things I would have done differently instead of taking short cuts as the locals seem to do.

The plumbing works but why the shower is plumbed into the septic when the kitchen sink is not has me perplexed, gray water is just that and could have been diverted to the back gardens, makes your choice of cleaning products in the bath room difficult as you just can not put things like bleach into your septic and expect it to work as it should. Then again I was looking for an expiration trench and there is none. Later I spose.
It's a big reason I have always been reluctant to buy a place or better said......would be.
I look at the quality of builds and it just never that great.

I'd be more into an apartment or a nice moo bahn.
Nicer apartments in Bangkok are the same as here in Vancouver and the build quality doesn't come close.
Development with build qualities akin to Western standards seem to way overpriced, IMO

That being said......if I got a good deal on the sort of house we rented in Hua Hin(4-5m baht range) for a pretty decent build and gorgeous looking house......I'd buy it and deal with the small issues