Traveling a bit further with Ted

MarcTwoSix

1080;300677 said:
This out door area out the back is well used. Laundry, BBQ and its cool in the evening.
There is a popular Thai restaurant in Portland that has sort of replicated where the kitchen is in the back outside

kaptainrob

Administrator
1080;300676 said:
Yer any sort of level would have been handy 55 The block work and general construction seems to fine but the joker with the level must have cleared out before the finishing stage.

I do envy the man who has the time to be able to supervise his build in Thailand because there are definitely things I would have done differently instead of taking short cuts as the locals seem to do.

The plumbing works but why the shower is plumbed into the septic when the kitchen sink is not has me perplexed, gray water is just that and could have been diverted to the back gardens, makes your choice of cleaning products in the bath room difficult as you just can not put things like bleach into your septic and expect it to work as it should. Then again I was looking for an expiration trench and there is none. Later I spose.
I'd get that gray water re-directed Ted. Septic systems here are a single tank microbal type without expiration trench. The run-off is usually piped to a storm drain, khlong or field. BigC, homePro and local stores stock the bacteria starter kits which usually require dosing (flushing down the wc) after heavy rains or when a smell comes up from the septic vent.

Yes Rob, you and I know this but the wife said "truck for Khee come every week" and the vent is not above roof level. dohhhhh. Will sort it out at a later stage. Not many things wrong with the house but by Western standards, dumb. Not too worried but will fix a few things when I have more time.

To be fair, I was expecting a lot less so I would have to say that overall, I am OK with 105 square meters at the price.900.000 baht.

kaptainrob

Administrator
1080;300704 said:
Yes Rob, you and I know this but the wife said "truck for Khee come every week" and the vent is not above roof level. dohhhhh. Will sort it out at a later stage. Not many things wrong with the house but by Western standards, dumb. Not too worried but will fix a few things when I have more time.

To be fair, I was expecting a lot less so I would have to say that overall, I am OK with 105 square meters at the price.900.000 baht.
Aha, so a holding tank only? That's very old school/small village style. Concrete-ring tank with lid for pump-out, not a pvc septic one, I assume. Pump out is cheap enough but you don't want to be around when the tanker comes. 555

I live in a small village KR, like I said I will fix things later. As many people have said the Thais have no real concept for the future. As I age I am starting to think the same way, why bother.

kaptainrob

Administrator
1080;300714 said:
I live in a small village KR, like I said I will fix things later. As many people have said the Thais have no real concept for the future. As I age I am starting to think the same way, why bother.
Don't get me wrong Ted. I think Fon has done very well with the build. The house looks great.
As we found out even here in the big smoke, old methods are difficult to overcome. We went thru 2 sparkies and 3 plumbers/pipe-installers to get things right.

Enjoy what you've got. :)

bacwaan

I'm guessing the pink paint on the walls wasn't your colour selection then Ted?....555

Congratulations on the new abode mate...I'm sure you'll deal with those niggling things over time

Cuzzy

A very interesting read... thanks.

Au would like to build once I retire. I mentioned that I might get a couple of mates over to do the build with me doing the interior finish.

I'm quite fussy when it comes to straight and level 555.

Chob

Hey Ted !
Great read , you really cut to the nitty grittys and I like the facade and outside pics.

Good luck with the future and how bout a bubs shot or two?
Im a softy when it comes to Thai kids.

Chob

Hey , she looks just like ya !

I dunno if youve seen the You Tube clip from a Thai gas station security camera where the bloke gets off his scooter for fueling and leaves his baby girl sitting like that?
She clearly leans forward , grabs the grip and her and the bike takes off thru the garage , and crosses a highway with him sprinting after her and her hanging on !

Hilarious but NOT anymore when you think , "What if that was me?"

Anyway , good to read all is going well.

So anyway the first week of the trip was all good even if I did spend most of the time with a paint scraper in my hand, paint on the window frames, doors, tiles oh and did I mention grout 555. I never did mind the little things.

Food vendors! We have a local bloke who drives around the area in his ute laden with all sorts of food from peanuts to pork and its very handy but fuck me, he has a couple of BIG speakers on the roof and he plays the Issan music loud. Wouldn't be a problem but at 6.30 AM you know what I mean. The first day I shouted out to him to turn the music down Cnut along with a bit of finger waving, wife was not impressed but old mate carried on regardless. He comes back down the Soi on his way out gives me a huge grin and a thumbs up, fuck I laughed. He would turn down the volume about 50 mtrs either side of the house after that first encounter and we would wave to each other every morning, although I never bought any thing from him.

Photo of Bub last week followed by Fon and myself five years ago. Some kids sleep in strange positions.

retdent

1080;307902 said:
Photo of Bub last week followed by Fon and myself five years ago.
Cute photo of bub, about 2yo? Pleased to see that 1080 has not adversly affected your appearance, I guess that you may have used it at various times on the farm.

Well Ladies and Gents its that time again, bags are packed and I am ready to go etc, etc. I fly out of Brisbane Friday for a few weeks to my home away from home being, Korat province. I know everybody just loves a good trip report so I will at least try to do a report and hopefully it just may be a good one.

So lately, MIL has had stroke and has been fairly crook, speech has returned but mobility is still a problem. Fon has been the principle carer, not the ideal situation for a return to the baan but life goes on.

Picked the hottest time of the year for a visit home but the WSBK circus hits Town, ( Buriram ) in March so for me its a good time to be in the neighborhood. Hopefully Fon can have a break from the mundane and join me for the bike racing in the big smoke. Should arrive at the village on Saturday and I will take things up from there unless of course something devastatingly exciting happens in the interim.

Fuck me, hope she likes the curtains 5555

kaptainrob

Administrator
Might be a tad warmer here Ted but humidity much less so you'll be ok :D Looks like rain over your way just now?

@ 1900
in Cm it's 29.1c and 34% humidity
In Buriram it's 29c and 38%

Mr. Smiley

Korat's been cool lately (at least in the city), but should start warming up the further it gets into March and boiling by the time April rolls around.

Chob

Do you think the temp differential between March and April in Kho-RAT is somewhat amazing Mr Smiley?

Im not sure theres many places in the world change so radically?

btw .. hows it all going up there? Some of the most beautiful woman in the world, or in Asia at least , between Korat , Burinam and Chaiyapum in my opinion...

Mr. Smiley

Chob;318442 said:
Do you think the temp differential between March and April in Kho-RAT is somewhat amazing Mr Smiley?

Im not sure theres many places in the world change so radically?

btw .. hows it all going up there? Some of the most beautiful woman in the world, or in Asia at least , between Korat , Burinam and Chaiyapum in my opinion...
Can't complain. Thanks to the new Terminal 21, the old (now) renovated Mall in Korat is probably one of the best malls in Thailand. Plus a new Central World is opening in the fall. If the high speed train ever gets built, Korat to Bangkok will only be an hour away.

As for the weather, it does get the odd cold snap around Jan-Feb which has everyone out wearing jackets and sweaters which is a bit odd to see, 5555