Uber Bangkok

MarcTwoSix

There has been articles how NYC cab drivers can't make money because of Uber

Fxuk them.....they provided the shittiest service for decades and something came along that is better

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;360781 said:
There has been articles how NYC cab drivers can't make money because of Uber

Fxuk them.....they provided the shittiest service for decades and something came along that is better
Kind of like the new busses in Phuket after taxis songtows and tuk tuks ripped off tourists for ages.

supersub

Ian Forbes;361358 said:
Kind of like the new busses in Phuket after taxis songtows and tuk tuks ripped off tourists for ages.

What are the routes of these buses Ian and where can I find more info? The taxi and tuk tuk prices there are terrible. In fact I'd say they are on par if not more expensive than England for the same distance. 600 bhat for patong go Kata 555

Moo Uaon

^ local golf course memberships aren't cheap so the local tuk tuk owners have got to keep up with the Jones's so charge exorbitant prices for their tuk tuk's 55

Quarky

Administrator
Seems to be a lot of hate out there against Uber.... exploitation etc. Will this be the end of them?

Some comments I picked up along the way...

Uber have lost their third appeal about whether or not their drivers are their employees. This should screw them in so many ways. Not least that they now will owe about £5billion back VAT to HMRC. And in theory corporation tax.

Good. This business model beloved by silicon valley VCs of using capital to subsidise a company undercutting an old industry (while pretending it's all about new technology) is a fucking disgrace, and another tool that's used to concentrate capital assets in the hands of a small number of people. It's effectively asset stripping an industry sector.
People primarily like the price. That price isn't supportable by the business model and includes fucking over those that work for the company. If you can't provide a service without screwing the workforce then you deserve to be shut down.

Consumers who aren't in solidarity with this need a healthy dose of class consciousness and to stop being so selfish.

It's true also that the app/digital infrastructure is more user friendly than the traditional alternatives, but, again, that doesn't trump exploitative labour practices. Pressure the traditional carriers to do better on that score.

This case has potential implications for other areas of the gig economy and I welcome it.
That, and the fact that it's a deliberate loss making model underwritten by massive capital to deliberately drive competition into the ground and establish a monopoly. Prices won't stay low after that.

MarcTwoSix

Seems to be a lot of hate out there against Uber.... exploitation etc. Will this be the end of them?

Some comments I picked up along the way...

In cites where it is more regulated, taxi licenses and such.....
The pricing isn't any different

I prefer Uber when traveling for work because I can come back and print out my receipt in one page
And also, some cities, taxis are dirty

In Vancouver I don't take Uber because our taxis are nice and clean with friendly drivers