Uber Bangkok

RakThai

Frankfurt court bans Uber taxi services across Germany

(Reuters) - A German regional court has issued a temporary injunction against Uber, the fast-growing, U.S.-based online chauffeur service which is no stranger to legal challenges from taxi-cab rivals and regulators around the globe.

In its ruling, the Frankfurt Regional Court said the company could no longer offer its phone apps to connect drivers with passengers, stating that Uber's network of drivers lacked the necessary commercial licenses to pick up passengers.
Frankfurt court bans Uber taxi services across Germany | Reuters

Stillearly

Seems like a crazy charge ...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/an-uber-halloween-horror-story?bffb

I live in Baltimore and went out with my friends to celebrate my birthday at midnight. When 3 AM rolled around, I suggested we take an Uber home to avoid drunk driving (#responsibility/#MADD). I live 22 minutes, tops, from the party I was leaving.
When I awoke this morning, I heard a friend talking about how outrageous Uber rates were the night before (9x original rate). I checked my bank account when, unbeknowst to me, I see a charge for $362. Not only is it my 26th birthday, it is rent day. My rent is $450 and I can no longer pay it today due to this completely outrageous charge.

Wonder how much she should have tipped ;)

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;193511 said:
Seems like a crazy charge ...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/an-uber-halloween-horror-story?bffb

I live in Baltimore and went out with my friends to celebrate my birthday at midnight. When 3 AM rolled around, I suggested we take an Uber home to avoid drunk driving (#responsibility/#MADD). I live 22 minutes, tops, from the party I was leaving.
When I awoke this morning, I heard a friend talking about how outrageous Uber rates were the night before (9x original rate). I checked my bank account when, unbeknowst to me, I see a charge for $362. Not only is it my 26th birthday, it is rent day. My rent is $450 and I can no longer pay it today due to this completely outrageous charge.

Wonder how much she should have tipped ;)
Just another case of how young people are now coddled and nothing is their fault

I don't condone Uber Surge pricing but it is as clear as day how much you are likely to be charged during Surge Pricing on the app

It will say the avg fare as 30usd and then in HUGE print, it will say it is now 5x, 6x more than that and you have to confirm

So she ignores that......then gets retards to give her money

Stillearly

MarcTwoSix;193624 said:
Just another case of how young people are now coddled and nothing is their fault

I don't condone Uber Surge pricing but it is as clear as day how much you are likely to be charged during Surge Pricing on the app

It will say the avg fare as 30usd and then in HUGE print, it will say it is now 5x, 6x more than that and you have to confirm

So she ignores that......then gets retards to give her money
Surge charging does seem like it is taking the piss though ... our regular taxis have set tariffs for time of day / public holiday etc , they go up by a max of 50% , not multiples ...

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;193625 said:
Surge charging does seem like it is taking the piss though ... our regular taxis have set tariffs for time of day / public holiday etc , they go up by a max of 50% , not multiples ...
It is ridiculous but their explanation is that is how they can get enough drivers
And you just can't complain about the fare when it is clearly stated

To be honest, I was a bit down on Uber last month in Washington DC and Chicago
It seems they are just taking on any driver, and the drivers barely know the area

I would still use it over taking a NYC Taxi but it was just not as good as it was before......when I thought it was incredible

Stillearly

UBER taking advantage of the siege in Sydney ..

03:09: Uber Sydney tweets: "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

justcruzing1

Stillearly;199912 said:
UBER taking advantage of the siege in Sydney ..

03:09: Uber Sydney tweets: "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."
Latest is Uber is giving free rides to get everyone home from the CBD. The rumor was Uber had put up fares to over $100 a ride.
They denied it and have set the free rides in place.

jontymate

Uber X (Aussie) now legal in some states.

This is really a doubled edged sword for me. I feel very sorry for people that have heavily invested in taxi plates believing they were protected. Especially late in life.

Times change with technology and with any investment there is risk. I have supported the guys that have done things the correct Legal way until i had to wait an hour for a taxi and uber was 5 mins recently.

To go further. Now Uber have done the hard yards and copped the fines etc. until its made legal. Now opens it up for others in the market place and that hardly seems fair also.

I'm sure there is a happy equilibrium some where. I'm happy to compete in a free market. Though when government regulations are so great, they also need to take some responsibility by not addressing quick enough a paradigm shift.

MarcTwoSix

jontymate;263991 said:
Uber X (Aussie) now legal in some states.

This is really a doubled edged sword for me. I feel very sorry for people that have heavily invested in taxi plates believing they were protected. Especially late in life.

Times change with technology and with any investment there is risk. I have supported the guys that have done things the correct Legal way until i had to wait an hour for a taxi and uber was 5 mins recently.

To go further. Now Uber have done the hard yards and copped the fines etc. until its made legal. Now opens it up for others in the market place and that hardly seems fair also.

I'm sure there is a happy equilibrium some where. I'm happy to compete in a free market. Though when government regulations are so great, they also need to take some responsibility by not addressing quick enough a paradigm shift.
For me it depends on where I am
I feel absolutely zero sympathy for NYC taxi drivers
They keep their cars like crap and dirty and are always on their phones back to Pakistan
They had a monopoly for decades and provided the least service they could.

But Vancouver all the taxis are maintained well and the drivers are all nice and professional.

But I will also say.....Uber is not as good as when I started using it when it 1st started.
Back then most of the drivers were ex-limo/car service drivers so they knew where to go.
Now it's every Muhammad with a Camry and doesn't have a clue.

Although I had a great driver from Kenya in a Mercedes

Nomad

I used Lyft in the US. The drivers generally drove for Uber as well as Lyft. They all preferred Lyft. Most referenced genuine driver background checks and had stories about mates that drove for Uber but were rejected by Lyft.

MarcTwoSix

Nomad;264075 said:
I used Lyft in the US. The drivers generally drove for Uber as well as Lyft. They all preferred Lyft. Most referenced genuine driver background checks and had stories about mates that drove for Uber but were rejected by Lyft.
I used a rideshare app in Manhattan this week.

VIA.....5usd anywhere point to point in Manhattan.....they pick you up and drop you off within 2 blocks from your preferred pick up and drop off
Brand new SUV's

For that price you can't beat it
And I'd imagine if you were in your 20's and 30's there could be some good pick up opportunities

Sydney

As a side note, i now use a company called PPost which is the courier company equivalent of Uber, only instead of carrying people they carry parcels ..55

only just new here in AUS, and it works really well ..... NO legal issues for this company as its just boxes ... but you get these random Asian dudes rocking up to my factory and collecting what i need to send..

I had a VIP delivery i needed to make for a South Korean company that needed their disc on in the city within 2 hours, in was 10.00 in the morning and i rang my old normal company, it was last friday and they had already closed all bookings for the day .... screw that..

So i booked online with PPost, and a lovely young moslem lady shows up, it needed to be in the city by 12.00, she got there by 11.53 AM ..

Also when you book it you can track the drivers movements who accepted the job, and see exactly where they are... brillant

chelski

Sydney;264386 said:
As a side note, i now use a company called PPost which is the courier company equivalent of Uber, only instead of carrying people they carry parcels ..55

only just new here in AUS, and it works really well ..... NO legal issues for this company as its just boxes ... but you get these random Asian dudes rocking up to my factory and collecting what i need to send..

I had a VIP delivery i needed to make for a South Korean company that needed their disc on in the city within 2 hours, in was 10.00 in the morning and i rang my old normal company, it was last friday and they had already closed all bookings for the day .... screw that..

So i booked online with PPost, and a lovely young moslem lady shows up, it needed to be in the city by 12.00, she got there by 11.53 AM ..

Also when you book it you can track the drivers movements who accepted the job, and see exactly where they are... brillant
Sounds like a good service, just out of interest how much was the cost of the delivery if you do not mind me asking.

Also have you tried the Courier Service that Office Works offer now

Sydney

chelski;264532 said:
Sounds like a good service, just out of interest how much was the cost of the delivery if you do not mind me asking.

Also have you tried the Courier Service that Office Works offer now
$ 54.00 on a two hour call ... that is for a 22km distance as i am on the fringe of Sydney and it had to go all the way into the city center ..

A three hour call would have being $ 45.00, when booking online there is several options and prices depending how quick you want it there ...

They are competitive compared to other carrier's ... i have used PPost about 10 times now, and not once let me down

Didn't now OW offered a courier service, will have to check that out as i buy a lot of OW products online and have it delivered free .... that's also a great service and saves me heaps of time

Nightcrawler

I tried Uber, Grab Taxi and Eazy Taxi all in BKK and found them a complete waste of time tbh, unless you're doing s journey of some considerable distance (where the drivers thus think it worthwhile to respond).

I prefer Grab Taxi to the others and sometimes use its Malaysian counterpart MyTeksi. I prefer it because I'm not keen on pre-entering credit card details to get scammed over.

Countless times tried Grab Taxi and got no response. One time tried to pre book a taxi with them at 10 to go to the airport at 11:40 only to get the response that to pre-book it must be at least 2 hours in advance. Forget it. Delete.

Uber again no response for any short runs and way OTT prices and Eazy Taxi would hardly ever load.

Deleted the lot. Useless in my opinion. YMMV. I'll stick to ordering from condo reception or grabbing off the street for 10-15 minute runs. Never had a problem with using the meter so can't see the point to waste time with these apps.

Sent using Tapatalk

MarcTwoSix

Nightcrawler;265552 said:
I tried Uber, Grab Taxi and Eazy Taxi all in BKK and found them a complete waste of time tbh, unless you're doing s journey of some considerable distance (where the drivers thus think it worthwhile to respond).

I prefer Grab Taxi to the others and sometimes use its Malaysian counterpart MyTeksi. I prefer it because I'm not keen on pre-entering credit card details to get scammed over.

Countless times tried Grab Taxi and got no response. One time tried to pre book a taxi with them at 10 to go to the airport at 11:40 only to get the response that to pre-book it must be at least 2 hours in advance. Forget it. Delete.

Uber again no response for any short runs and way OTT prices and Eazy Taxi would hardly ever load.

Deleted the lot. Useless in my opinion. YMMV. I'll stick to ordering from condo reception or grabbing off the street for 10-15 minute runs. Never had a problem with using the meter so can't see the point to waste time with these apps.

Sent using Tapatalk
I started the thread because my wife fears being in Taxis alone so I figured Uber would he a good alternative since the driver can be tracked.

Nightcrawler

Understand. But personally found that the apps just don't live up to expectations in BKK, at least not yet.

Sent using Tapatalk