Uber Bangkok

Quarky

Administrator
Dupree;279462 said:
Even if he did drunkenly accept the ride cost before hand. Its obvious that the driver ripped him off. I'm surprised the article didn't address that. Journalism blows.
Drove the long way home... they must get away with it... if they do it...?

Dupree

Distantpeak;279465 said:
Drove the long way home... they must get away with it... if they do it...?
Sounds like a flaw in the app. Uber rides are priced before accepting. I would think any edits would have to be accepted as well.

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;279466 said:
Sounds like a flaw in the app. Uber rides are priced before accepting. I would think any edits would have to be accepted as well.
The price is not right there..............it just shows the rate, normal to x2(example)
There is Fare Estimate that you can hit that will give you an estimate but it's only an estimate, which I actually never have done

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;279467 said:
The price is not right there..............it just shows the rate, normal to x2(example)
There is Fare Estimate that you can hit that will give you an estimate but it's only an estimate, which I actually never have done
I've only done it a few times. The quoted price matched the final. But then again it was expensed. So I probably didn't scrutinize it. But it should be pretty close.

MarcTwoSix

So we actually been using Uber in Bangkok and it is really good....

We use Uber Black which is always high end new Camrys.
The only thing is you need to give enough time for them to get to you.....so say you going out, request it 20mins in advance even if it says 6mins away

But the cars are beautiful, the drivers very professional.
Costs about 150baht for what a 50-60baht taxi ride would be....

For me......I think that's worth it.
Especially for my wife, when she goes out with friends......safer to get an Uber alone

Cippy

I drove for Uber for a month, they suck. Worst company I have ever worked for. They really screw over their drivers. They wanted to raise my service fee out of the blue to 25%, but that wasn't my real issue. My issue was that as a driver, I had no way of contacting them except through the help section of the App. When I did get a hold of them they just played dumb and acted as if they didn't understand what I was asking even though I was speaking in very clear English, so I stopped driving for them. They only start contacting me after I stopped driving for them, so I explained my situation then. They still played dumb and directed me to the page the outlined the service fees when I clearly stated that I would not drive for them at 25%. After about 15 communications they actually addressed my complaint. They basically said, we don't care. Too many people are stupid enough to not complain and just take it. As is their right, Same as mine to move to their competitor.

I went to drive for Lyft, a much better company to work for. I only pay 5% to 15% service fee for them because I qualify for bonuses. They also have a tipping system. Some people don't get a lot tips, but I do. I made an extra $60 one day, but I am an excellent driver ad I engage anyone who wants to talk, most do. I have taken a few rides back on forth to the airport and I have never had a driver as good as me. 555

Lyft is a friendlier company by far, they actually care about their drivers. Here is one main difference I can tell you about. Uber will just look at your car, signals work, no dents, off you go! Lyft will have a small class, teach you about their app, give you tips and suggestions and warnings. Takes about 15 minutes in all. Their are a few things that are critical, like airport regulations, at LAX you have to have TNC license that is sent through the mail after you watch a video and take a quiz on the pick up process. Don't have the permit and you get towed and get $1000 fine. I have seen a few Uber cars on tow trucks, but never Lyft. Not that is doesn't happen. Some airport you can drop off, but not pick up, some you have to pay to get in the parking structure and get reimbursed through the app.

Lyft also insures me on the way to pick up as well as with a fare. The insurance for Uber has improved because they had to, Lyft because they wanted to.

It's works out well for me because I get up around 5am and the wife and daughter get up around 10am. So I go out and get home around 12 when they are having breakfast. After service fees, tax, mileage, I make an extra $500 - 600 a week. Its not much, but it covers my bills and I have all day to spend with my family and take my wife to school.

Lyft is available in BKK By the way:

Indonesia - Bali - Jakarta

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur

Singapore

Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket

The Philippines - Manila

Vietnam - Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh City

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;308732 said:
I drove for Uber for a month, they suck. Worst company I have ever worked for. They really screw over their drivers. They wanted to raise my service fee out of the blue to 25%, but that wasn't my real issue. My issue was that as a driver, I had no way of contacting them except through the help section of the App. When I did get a hold of them they just played dumb and acted as if they didn't understand what I was asking even though I was speaking in very clear English, so I stopped driving for them. They only start contacting me after I stopped driving for them, so I explained my situation then. They still played dumb and directed me to the page the outlined the service fees when I clearly stated that I would not drive for them at 25%. After about 15 communications they actually addressed my complaint. They basically said, we don't care. Too many people are stupid enough to not complain and just take it. As is their right, Same as mine to move to their competitor.

I went to drive for Lyft, a much better company to work for. I only pay 5% to 15% service fee for them because I qualify for bonuses. They also have a tipping system. Some people don't get a lot tips, but I do. I made an extra $60 one day, but I am an excellent driver ad I engage anyone who wants to talk, most do. I have taken a few rides back on forth to the airport and I have never had a driver as good as me. 555

Lyft is more friendly company by far and they actually care about their drivers. Here is one main difference I can tell you about. Uber will just look at your car, signals work, no dents, off you go! Lyft will have a small class, teach you about their app, give you tips and suggestions and warnings. Takes about 15 minutes in all. Their are a few things that are critical, like airport regulations, at LAX you have to have TNC license that is sent through the mail after you watch a video and take a quiz on the pick up process. Don't have the permit and you get towed and get $1000 fine. I have seen a few Uber cars on tow trucks, but never Lyft. Not that is doesn't happen. Some airport you can drop off, but not pick up, some you have to pay to get in the parking structure and get reimbursed through the app.

Lyft also insures me on the way to pick up as well as with a fare. The insurance for Uber has improved because they had to, Lyft because they wanted to.

It's works out well for me because I get up around 5am and the wife and daughter get up around 10am. So I go out and get home around 12 when they are having breakfast. After service fees, tax, mileage, I make an extra $500 - 600 a week. Its not much, but it covers my bills and I have all day to spend with my family and take my wife to school.

Lyft is available in BKK By the way:

Indonesia - Bali - Jakarta

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur

Singapore

Thailand - Bangkok, Phuket

The Philippines - Manila

Vietnam - Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh City
I would definitely do Lyft/Uber driving if I was in a position like yourself with downtime.

You mention your reasons for driving Lyft.....

Ao was talking to the Uber driver who took us to the airport(1k baht)
He said he does it when his wife is driving him crazy 555

Cippy

MarcTwoSix;308735 said:
I would definitely do Lyft/Uber driving if I was in a position like yourself with downtime.

You mention your reasons for driving Lyft.....

Ao was talking to the Uber driver who took us to the airport(1k baht)
He said he does it when his wife is driving him crazy 555
I am going to have to reevaluate when it comes to tax time and see how it all works out. I can deduct mileage but I am already at a much higher tax bracket than drivers who work full time. I went from putting 500 miles a month on my car to 5000. Luckily I have a diesel engine and can find really cheap gas.

Moo Uaon

Geez Cippy you do it or you don't 55

They are in it for themselves...surprise surprise?

Part time is the only way you'll make it work. ..surge time.

Cippy

Moo Uaon;308779 said:
Geez Cippy you do it or you don't 55

They are in it for themselves...surprise surprise?

Part time is the only way you'll make it work. ..surge time.
Seems like you missed a few points there. Specifically, that I don't drive for Uber anymore, I stopped immediately. Now I am out to increase the market share of Lyft anyway I can. I just put in a CV in with Lyft for a position that does exactly that. They lose, I am a 4.98 star driver.

It's exactly the opposite for me, part time doesn't work. I don't drive unless I can full time. My service fee with Lyft is lowered significantly be getting numbers of rides. 75/week gets me %20 discount, 45 gets me 10%. That is huge.

Edit: They just raised those #s to 80 and 50.

Ubers surge is a rip off. It has paid off for me, getting $90 dollar rides, but it doesn't sit well. If they get high demand for a specific area the raise the price of areas around it too, getting lower and lower as you get further away from the area. The put a honeycomb structure in the map that only drivers can see when not on a ride that makes it pretty plain.

I found that chasing surge prices doesn't work either, it goes away by the time you get there and you just wasted gas. The only formula that works for me is only move the car when I am on a ride and go wherever it takes me. While it benefits the driver to over do their surge prices, it doesn't sit will with an honest driver. Again, Lyft's prime time is much more fair.

The one downside for Lyft is more downtime, but, the tips more than make up for that.

There are other things about Uber I don't like. Like supporting the Militarization of Police for one.

Moo Uaon

I think theres merit in doing it Friday and Saturday nights and holidays around where i live. Bigger cities. .different.

Cippy

^ Bigger than Los Angeles? 555

Sure, I drive a few weekend nights here or there when I need to get my ride count up because its mostly short trips.

I get a lot of commutes and Airport rides in the mornings.

Moo Uaon

Yeah, 1/2 mill where i am. Mainly made up of retirees and holiday makers and service staff.
Like i said. ..Friday and Saturday nights, holiday times are when it works there. It's just too small and there too many cars and cabs looking for the work.

Cippy

Moo Uaon;308787 said:
Yeah, 1/2 mill where i am. Mainly made up of retirees and holiday makers and service staff.
Like i said. ..Friday and Saturday nights, holiday times are when it works there. It's just too small and there too many cars and cabs looking for the work.
Ah, I get it, I thought you were saying you lived in a city bigger than LA. 555 I was thinking we are a few million shy of the Population of OZ in the greater Los Angeles area. Good for business, bad for sanity. Taxi drivers can't compete really, rideshare is half the price.

We have commute peak times and Dinner and Drinks peak times, Pick up after a piss up peak times and the Church Crowd peak times.

Minder

MarcTwoSix;308709 said:
So we actually been using Uber in Bangkok and it is really good.... ....
Have you noticed some taxis have a "Grab Taxi" logo on the window?

Mrs M installed the app and used it on our last trip. It has a useful feature where you can program a pick up time, such as early the next morning to go to the airport. Just a standard BKK green and yellow taxi turns up but there was no add on fee for the service that I can recall.

MarcTwoSix

Minder;308813 said:

Mrs M installed the app and used it on our last trip. It has a useful feature where you can program a pick up time, such as early the next morning to go to the airport. Just a standard BKK green and yellow taxi turns up but there was no add on fee for the service that I can recall.
Yup and looks good.
But I don't mind paying 150baht for a very nice Camry

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;308828 said:
Yup and looks good.
But I don't mind paying 150baht for a very nice Camry
We don't have Camry's in the UK... or Europe either I don't think.... so always nice to experience one...

Minder

Minder;308813 said:

Mrs M has just corrected me that there was/is a standard 20 or 25 baht additional charge for using the Grab Taxi service ...
Attached files