Uber Bangkok

Nightcrawler

About a year on and I tried Grab again. A few times. Worked out ok and cash payments too which I FAR prefer. Just one time had a driver pull out of an airport run booking but the p**k did it within the 2 hour time frame for advanced bookings so had to chance my luck closer to the time.

Uber I've still not tried again. Sounds appealing for the times you might want a classy ride but I have this dread of an outfit like that having my credit card details. I'm not keen on messing about trying to get refunds if you get ripped off or scammed. And certainly no way I'd register a European card with foreign currency transaction charges and rubbish conversion rates. I also, may be wrongly, have less confidence in the protection b that would be afforded to holders of Thai cards.

One option I guess may be too use one of these Thai virtual credit cards, tied to a rarely used account with just 500 baht in it. At least that way if they try and take over the agreed fare, tough. My obligation is to make sure there's funds to cover only the rate we agreed. Like I say, just not sure Uber will take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moo Uaon

^ you can add payment methods to your Uber account. i have 2 CC's on mine and a 3rd (Thai bank) i don't think would be a problem.

MarcTwoSix

I booked a hotel on Soi 2 and didn't realize how far up the Soi it was.
I really should have just booked into Aloft on Soi 11

I didn't want to make the trek to Soi 11, thought I'd just stay in
Then remembered there was Uber.....
Nice kid in a beautiful Honda Accord picked me up and a nice comfortable ride to Soi 11

Cippy

Moo Uaon;309063 said:
^ you can add payment methods to on your Uber account. i have 2 CC's on mine and a 3rd (Thai bank) i don't think would be a problem.
I think that is the strength of the system that both riders and driver's like. No Cash, stop, jump out and off you go.

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;309067 said:
I think that is the strength of the system that both riders and driver's like. No Cash, stop, jump out and off you go.
It's a huge plus.
I go on business, get back and just print out my receipt page for expenses
Before.....I'd have all these stupid little receipts or a taxi gives you one to fill out yourself.
I'd lose half of them

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;309064 said:
I booked a hotel on Soi 2 and didn't realize how far up the Soi it was.
I really should have just booked into Aloft on Soi 11

I didn't want to make the trek to Soi 11, thought I'd just stay in
Then remembered there was Uber.....
Nice kid in a beautiful Honda Accord picked me up and a nice comfortable ride to Soi 11
A taxi from Soi 2 to Soi 11? You could walk it quicker surely? Walk off all that food you seem to be eating while in Bangkok... 55

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;309076 said:
A taxi from Soi 2 to Soi 11? You could walk it quicker surely? Walk off all that food you seem to be eating while in Bangkok... 55
Not when I am all dudded out in nice clothes 555
I walk everywhere but if dressed to go out night and it's a decent walk, I take a taxi/Uber

My hotel was probably further up Soi 2 than the walk from Soi 2 to Soi 11

Quarky

Administrator
Past Aspen Suites?

How hot is it at present? Two years ago I was in Bangkok this time of year... and it was quite cool in the evening...

Cippy

I don't think I have ever taken a Taxi whilst on the Suk. Even Carrying a baby. If it is two BTS stops away we'll Jump on the train. Of Course, I have shown up at Doctor's appointments soaking wet. 555 But people usually give you a pass for that in BKK.

I did take a MB taxi back to my hotel once when forgot some important paperwork. Never again! I could feel car bumpers brush my pant legs at times. 55

bacwaan

^ I love MB Taxis in BKK....so quick to get around and so cheap...pretty much the same ride from that Paulie was talking about from soi 11 to uppers soi 2 for me and a TG cost 50 baht and took about 5 mins....40 baht alone...you could never do it quicker or cheaper...the woman taxi bike rider is safe and sure...i have used her many times...she sits outside Fraser Suites on Upper soi 11...always a big smile when she sees me and she pats the back of the seat beckoning me...I think I love her...555
Attached files

Cippy

bacwaan;309123 said:
^ I love MB Taxis in BKK....so quick to get around and so cheap...pretty much the same ride from that Paulie was talking about from soi 11 to uppers soi 2 for me and a TG cost 50 baht and took about 5 mins....40 baht alone...you could never do it quicker or cheaper...the woman taxi bike rider is safe and sure...i have used her many times...she sits outside Fraser Suites on Upper soi 11...always a big smile when she sees me and she pats the back of the seat beckoning me...I think I love her...555
555, When I approached the MB taxi I am talking about his eyes got wide. He tested his suspension by jumping on it a couple of times, shrugged and motioned me to get on.

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;309081 said:
Past Aspen Suites?

How hot is it at present? Two years ago I was in Bangkok this time of year... and it was quite cool in the evening...
It is very nice and yes past Aspen Suites

I dont mind walking home but hate being even a bit sweaty when dressed nice and going out

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;309123 said:
Ao had a doctor's appointment in Silom, I went up to Siam Center and back with MB

MarcTwoSix

Cippy;309121 said:
I don't think I have ever taken a Taxi whilst on the Suk. Even Carrying a baby. If it is two BTS stops away we'll Jump on the train. Of Course, I have shown up at Doctor's appointments soaking wet. 555 But people usually give you a pass for that in BKK.

I did take a MB taxi back to my hotel once when forgot some important paperwork. Never again! I could feel car bumpers brush my pant legs at times. 55
You were talking about your daughter in Thailand
In Luang Prabang, the rental MB are crap

There was a French couple with about a 3 yr old, renting one and all 3 jumped on it......and I heard they were riding the 40km to the waterfall
I'd never put my kid on a MB

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;309147 said:
There was a French couple with about a 3 yr old, renting one and all 3 jumped on it......and I heard they were riding the 40km to the waterfall
I'd never put my kid on a MB
i felt the same but asians will do as asians do and there's not too much you can do about it. try and stop them taking him and he'll cry too as he loves it. always has. thank god nothing has ever happened to him on one.

MarcTwoSix

Moo Uaon;309150 said:
i felt the same but asians will do as asians do and there's not too much you can do about it. try and stop them taking him and he'll cry too as he loves it. always has. thank god nothing has ever happened to him on one.
I think a bit different to a Thai whose been riding MB since early teens than a tourist couple with a 3yr old
Although I'd forbid my child to be on a MB, regardless if Thai or not.
Too many things can go wrong

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;309151 said:
I think a bit different to a Thai whose been riding MB since early teens than a tourist couple with a 3yr old
Although I'd forbid my child to be on a MB, regardless if Thai or not.
Too many things can go wrong
it's certainly not a good place for a baby to be,no matter who is riding....things can happen. the silly accidents they have with each other,wrong side of the road,pull out in front of moving traffic without looking etc
i'm sure his (and most asian kids) first experiences of MB riding came in the womb. the motion,vibration... just second nature to asian kids.
he and her would've been stuck at home if i'd forbidden him being on one. sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow!

Cippy

Moo Uaon;309150 said:
I did and do something about it. My kid has never been on one. Just no reason to risk that. Maybe when she is older in certain circumstances, like across the sleepy southern end of Samui.

I had breaks fail on a hill in Samui on a crappy rental (not Baccy's guy (Kim?)) and I luckily was able to stop the wife and I.

MarcTwoSix

Moo Uaon;309153 said:
it's certainly not a good place for a baby to be,no matter who is riding....things can happen. the silly accidents they have with each other,wrong side of the road,pull out in front of moving traffic without looking etc
i'm sure his (and most asian kids) first experiences of MB riding came in the womb. the motion,vibration... just second nature to asian kids.
he and her would've been stuck at home if i'd forbidden him being on one. sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow!
It's not an Asian thing......"It's a poor Asian thing" and since most of us are not poor and can afford a car.......it's an unnecessary risk, IMO

Moo Uaon

my GF can't drive a car and would kill someone for sure....been there tried that. she can ride a bike but in no way can drive a car/1.5 tonne deadly weapon.

even bought the car but she freezes at the wheel and can't turn it while using the peddles.