Uber Bangkok

Stillearly

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/21/ube...57-million-users-and-drivers-report-says.html

[h=1]Uber hid a hack that exposed data of 57 million users and drivers for more than a year[/h][FONT=&quot]
  • Hackers stole data from 57 million Uber users and drivers in 2016.
  • The hackers stole names and driver's license numbers of around 600,000 drivers in the U.S., as well as rider names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers.
  • According to Bloomberg, the company paid hackers $100,000 to delete the data and keep the breach quiet, and did not report the incident.

[/FONT]

Moo Uaon

Uber certainly bleeds money. Their legal battles add up to a small fortune.
New driver's are being hit up for closer to 30% by them now. Up from 20%.

MarcTwoSix

Going to get Lyft when I am in LA this week.

A few weeks ago in NYC, we requested Uber but cancelled and my friend did Lyft for the same big SUV and it was about 10usd cheaper

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;346802 said:
Going to get Lyft when I am in LA this week.

A few weeks ago in NYC, we requested Uber but cancelled and my friend did Lyft for the same big SUV and it was about 10usd cheaper
Competition tends to do that in a true business world.

Quarky

Administrator
Pretty bad that Uber tried to hide the hack... instead of warning their customers/ drivers to change their passwords etc.. hackers had access to personal details including driver's licence details...

Dupree

So what's the deal? Can I use the Uber App on my US phone in Thailand? Or do I have to DL the Thai version in Engrish?

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;347394 said:
So what's the deal? Can I use the Uber App on my US phone in Thailand? Or do I have to DL the Thai version in Engrish?
Well I used it in Thailand
I don't remember if I had to switch something but I do know it fxuked up my account when I tried to use it the next time in Minneapolis

Had to call Uber and get it fixed

I Will read up on it because will be using it next month

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;347410 said:
I don't remember if I had to switch something but I do know it fxuked up my account when I tried to use it the next time in Minneapolis

I'm concerned about credit card fraud in the LOS.

Stillearly

MarcTwoSix;347410 said:

Try Grab taxi , similar to Uber , apparently slightly cheaper

Moo Uaon

Dupree;347467 said:
I'm concerned about credit card fraud in the LOS.
use a local taxi or tuk tuk....not like they'll ever rip you off ;fight;

actually Uber is based in the US (or is it the Netherlands?) so no local will get a chance to pinch your CC details. you can also add other forms of payment to your Uber account.PayPal?

Moo Uaon

Distantpeak;359812 said:
Any idea how many self-driving cars are on the road and whether the law of averages applies?

I don't know the answer by the way...
I guess people are always going to walk out in front of moving traffic. Will be interesting to find out exactly what happened.

Quarky

Administrator
Moo Uaon;359816 said:
I guess people are always going to walk out in front of moving traffic. Will be interesting to find out exactly what happened.
Especially since there was a person in the autonomous car at the time...

Hatari

Uber out of Asia

Uber to sell Southeast Asian business to regional rival Grab
26 Mar, 2018

Ride-hailing giant Uber is selling its business in Southeast Asia to regional rival Grab in its latest withdrawal from a daunting overseas market.
Grab provides services in Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar and Cambodia. It says it offers access to five million drivers and agents and handles over a billion transactions a year.
The deal was dismaying to many in Asia who have often compared the rival apps in search of the best deal.
The release said Uber drivers will switch to the Grab online platform. The Uber app will stop working in Asia in two weeks, it said.

OzzyDamo

I use Uber here in Brisbane, they are around 30% cheap then a metered taxi.
In Thailand, I usually have a family car available and the wife driving, so I can have a few without worrying about the brown shirts.