Village house deal???

MarcTwoSix

I searched forever and couldn't find the thread where I asked if people thought there would be covid deals

One came up, I suppose, in Ao's village

Says she thinks she can get them down to 1.5mil for the house and 2 rai

We don't ever really argue over money
She's been good at making her own

But she wanted to "borrow " the 1.5mil

I said no, because I'd have to desire to spend time in that house and to me it's a waste of money that can be put to a nicer house

I will say, I was quite pissed off
It was probably the only time in our relationship I felt it was Thai vs farang

I do think she would work and pay me back

But that wasn't the point
It was her being hell bent on getting a house that I have no desire spending time in

It's shortsighted also.....

1611065395808.jpg1611065405470.jpg1611065410280.jpg

Quarky

Administrator
Lime green... my favourite colour...

If it's a good deal.. buy it.. do it up and sell it for a lot more?

Or is that risky in a village?

Tarzan

I have said no to buy/build in wifes village 35km outside Khon Kaen. Cant see i ever get anything back the day we decide to move on. I am more into buying a house in a gated community in Khon Kaen, with possibility to rent it out, and to sell and get money back later.
Might as well add, that i see no reason to buy anything in Thailand until we can spend most of the year there.. So far its better to live at her parents, or rent a house/apartment in KK...

Nomad

This house is for the MIL, and you are building out back. Shortsighted farang. 555

BTW, looks like a good value, although that is not your point.

OZZYGUY

that i see no reason to buy anything in Thailand until we can spend most of the year there.. So far its better to live at her parents, or rent a house/apartment in KK...
And thats my thoughts also. (Although I always said I wouldn't buy overseas but I have changed)

But we are in Covid times, Paulie has been with Ao a long time, if something comes up maybe the time has come.

Paulie would have a better idea of what area to buy in and better to make that call than Ao at a guess.

Tarzan

And thats my thoughts also. (Although I always said I wouldn't buy overseas but I have changed)

But we are in Covid times, Paulie has been with Ao a long time, if something comes up maybe the time has come.

Paulie would have a better idea of what area to buy in and better to make that call than Ao at a guess.
I guess im lucky to be close to a city, and would probably change my mind if i was out in the sticks. I been thinking also, that maybe its better to rent when that day comes. Had some thoughts of having a "homebase" in KK, and then rent a place in Hua Hin, or Rayong, or any place i might find good...

MarcTwoSix

I have said no to buy/build in wifes village 35km outside Khon Kaen. Cant see i ever get anything back the day we decide to move on. I am more into buying a house in a gated community in Khon Kaen, with possibility to rent it out, and to sell and get money back later.
Might as well add, that i see no reason to buy anything in Thailand until we can spend most of the year there.. So far its better to live at her parents, or rent a house/apartment in KK...
Any build we did I would look at it as sunk cost
Not getting anything back or out of it
(Although her Aunt sold her house for a decent price)

And that was a point Ao made
Just build a house that she/her mom is happy with and buy somewhere else in Thailand if we want
(She'd pay for half or even all, depending)

But to be honest, I would have no issues living in her village.
It's 20mins to a decent size city
And I've become a bit of a homebody and sure I will become more of one as I get older

I think it would take 6mil to build something I am happy with
But I think it would take 3mil to build something I can visit and be comfortable in, make a bit of space for myself

MarcTwoSix

This house is for the MIL, and you are building out back. Shortsighted farang. 555

BTW, looks like a good value, although that is not your point.
Haha
To be honest
That may be the way to go, for real

Let her have her Thai house and I build myself a comfortable bungalow in the back

kaptainrob

Administrator
Haha
To be honest
That may be the way to go, for real

Let her have her Thai house and I build myself a comfortable bungalow in the back
Best idea.
But 1st, what is the 2 rai actually like ... flood free, adjacent to a water supply, arable land, good neigbours (not industrial or temple), ... you can possible get some idea from Google pics. The house looks well built, ~15 years old and could be renovated easily/

MarcTwoSix

Best idea.
But 1st, what is the 2 rai actually like ... flood free, adjacent to a water supply, arable land, good neigbours (not industrial or temple), ... you can possible get some idea from Google pics. The house looks well built, ~15 years old and could be renovated easily/
The land is good, "high " she says

Apparently it's a family that has a few houses

But those are all things I might not think about

MarcTwoSix

Not even in the slightest

Land is expensive in Ao's village
Always has been

The 1st time I went there the limo driver was commenting on the land

Look up land prices in SuphanBuri
It's one of the best regions for rice, Ao's village gets 3 crops/yr

And believe me, I'm not bragging on it, it's just reality
I wish it wasn't

Her Aunt sold her house, bigger with a bit more land for 4mil baht

1.5mil for a suitable house and 2 rai is a steal
I just don't want it

MarcTwoSix

That would be a relatively inexpensive alteration to any old house such as Ao is looking at.
Add a private courtyard and loads of trees, palms etc and you could transform the basic house into a real gem.
Yeah it may be the way to go

I worry about upkeep
If we spent the 6mil it would come her mom(which wouldn't bother me)
But with mom comes the brothers

Who I like, I just don't want as roommates!

I doubt I'd ever live in Thailand full time with my sisters approaching their 60's
Will want to spend more time in Boston

Travel around when in Thailand with a little comfortable bungalow to stay in and not have the worries

This thread has been therapeutic 5555

mechime

Understood your reluctance; my story spent 2 years just visiting her house, not sleeping there as no suitable room, eventually built our own, separate on-suite, seemed ideal, old lady neighbour super but got moved out for Son of other neighbour, this young couple are nice but husband keeps 6 cocks; then this neighbours Daughter has new partner, his business looking after cocks for sale ! 2 plots away a small family furniture yard, owner dies Grandson expands and cuts down adjacent Teak woods now we have a large saw mill with resultant dust and traffic on small Soy, smell of wood varnish etc. Wifey says lets buy some land, 2 rye in low rice fields and build our own house, big enough for me to stay inside with a/c. The only English speaker in the village is her and in local Town a couple or so shop owner can a little; at home it is Lanna Thai except for the Kids who speak Thai for school. For me prefer hotel rooms, apartments or perhaps a rental allowing changes to different areas when I get bored.