Village house deal???

MarcTwoSix

Understood your reluctance; my story spent 2 years just visiting her house, not sleeping there as no suitable room, eventually built our own, separate on-suite, seemed ideal, old lady neighbour super but got moved out for Son of other neighbour, this young couple are nice but husband keeps 6 cocks; then this neighbours Daughter has new partner, his business looking after cocks for sale ! 2 plots away a small family furniture yard, owner dies Grandson expands and cuts down adjacent Teak woods now we have a large saw mill with resultant dust and traffic on small Soy, smell of wood varnish etc. Wifey says lets buy some land, 2 rye in low rice fields and build our own house, big enough for me to stay inside with a/c. The only English speaker in the village is her and in local Town a couple or so shop owner can a little; at home it is Lanna Thai except for the Kids who speak Thai for school. For me prefer hotel rooms, apartments or perhaps a rental allowing changes to different areas when I get bored.
Good info, thanks

I had a vision of building a nice resort style villa(nothing huge but higher end) on a decent sized lot so no issues with neighbors for $250-300k cad

But the more I hear and think about it
It may just be too much hassle
Upkeep
Having to have discussion with wife on when family can come and can't

I still don't care for this house
But if we found a decent plot of land and built a suitable place for 2mil baht where I can be comfortable when visiting

That may be best

I honestly don't think the social aspect would bug me
Lots of people speak English in her village
And I'd do trips down to tourist areas

I just would need a man cave with blackout blinds to watch sports.....

OZZYGUY

Would Ao life out of the village?

The place we want to go is a island away from family and about 3hrs drive. Easy to get to but far enough away that we would have visitors every day. I really get on well with the family but from past experience no way would I live in the same place.

My 1st wife was Indian, on our street all within 200m was the parents house, brothers house, and the grand parents place. It drove me nuts, no privacy and we always had them over. Like every day they would come and stay for hrs. It was us that first moved into the area then they followed.

MarcTwoSix

Would Ao life out of the village?

The place we want to go is a island away from family and about 3hrs drive. Easy to get to but far enough away that we would have visitors every day. I really get on well with the family but from past experience no way would I live in the same place.

My 1st wife was Indian, on our street all within 200m was the parents house, brothers house, and the grand parents place. It drove me nuts, no privacy and we always had them over. Like every day they would come and stay for hrs. It was us that first moved into the area then they followed.
There isn't that much family in her village
Really just her favorite Aunt and some cousins that she doesn't really associate with

And I guess you can add her best friend, who is absolutely family to her(us)

I'd say both the Aunt and best friends are positives not negatives

Her mom would live in any house which I'd have no issue with
But with her Mom comes the brothers

And if we were away her mom would be "lonely" so brothers stay there

Before you know it, they live there as well

I wouldn't allow it but just wouldn't want the headache

Family stuff isn't that hard because Ao knows I love my family but would never live with them or next to them!

Hell if I spend 2 months in Boston this year I will end up renting a place
Will cost me 10k cad but would rather pay than stay at my sisters

OZZYGUY

If you dont feel the family will be a issue I say get it, plenty of land to build your condo, put a jungle in for some privacy. Its cheap.

And what this "loan" thing? its your wife buy the girl a house.....55

MarcTwoSix

And what this "loan" thing? its your wife buy the girl a house.....55
She married the wrong guy, poor girl 😀

This whole "buying a house for your girl" is bizarre to me, quite honestly
Maybe because "it's only 60-65k cad"
To me, that's a lot of money anywhere in the world

Plus I am just against an able bodied girl in her 30's(just barely still there 555) not contributing
And in the long run, I think she will appreciate contributing

And I will still be the bulk contributer

OZZYGUY

It's bizarre to me in almost all cases.
If you live there no issue, if you been married for a while and it's a place to stay when in town no issue as long as you spend a fair bit of time each year not just a week or two.
Also you would want to pay cash. If you have to borrow I personally wouldn't do it.
And myself I would only spend a small amount like the one you are looking at plus some Reno. Wouldn't go blowing all my money on a house that's out of my control. (Not in my name) spend what you can deal with if all goes belly up.

Just my 2c

MarcTwoSix

A swipe of a credit card or two! Just don't do corporate entertainment for a year and you will have that and more. Oh, wait, that was 2020.
That is savings!
Miss it

Actually Ao is looking at the PTT spin-off IPO next month 555
I was shocked at how much she knew
So maybe she will buy her own house 😀

(She LOVES Amazon Cafe so it piqued her interest)

Nomad

That is savings!
Miss it

Maybe she has a few bitcoins lying around!

kaptainrob

Administrator
That is savings!
Miss it

Amazon [pr: amaze-on by Thai's] is the most reliable of all coffee chains for quality and all of the PTT outlets are superbly landscaped. Big malls and other retailers are also installing Amazon Cafe's. @~50c per share it would be a pretty safe investment. No flies on that girl!

MarcTwoSix

Amazon [pr: amaze-on by Thai's] is the most reliable of all coffee chains for quality and all of the PTT outlets are superbly landscaped. Big malls and other retailers are also installing Amazon Cafe's. @~50c per share it would be a pretty safe investment. No flies on that girl!
Yeah I did some research last night
And Ao did say they are expanding into malls

Amazon revenue is bigger than Starbucks in Thailand
Which isn't that surprising

I do think it's a good buy
She has it set up in Kasikorn

The only thing was I explaining to her that it may be oversubscribed and open about 18baht
But she was steadfast that it would stay at 18baht

Obviously she's not that well versed

But maybe the SET has different rules on IPO's??
Does anyone know

Happy she thought about it herself

And I do think it's a good buy into the 20's also....

kaptainrob

Administrator
Yeah I did some research last night
And Ao did say they are expanding into malls

Amazon revenue is bigger than Starbucks in Thailand
Which isn't that surprising

I do think it's a good buy
She has it set up in Kasikorn

The only thing was I explaining to her that it may be oversubscribed and open about 18baht
But she was steadfast that it would stay at 18baht

Obviously she's not that well versed

But maybe the SET has different rules on IPO's??
Does anyone know

Happy she thought about it herself

And I do think it's a good buy into the 20's also....
It could go higher than the 15-18bt range and possibly be oversubscribed by institutions.
What really makes Amazon/PTTOR attractive is the captive market within all the PTT Service Centres which usually also comprise a 7-11, OTOP/Import shop, food court etc. They are always busy. You can even drive in and have an oil/filter change and tank filled [at no charge for labour by PTT staff] while you enjoy a coffee in an Amazon rain forest setting.

MarcTwoSix

It could go higher than the 15-18bt range and possibly be oversubscribed by institutions.
What really makes Amazon/PTTOR attractive is the captive market within all the PTT Service Centres which usually also comprise a 7-11, OTOP/Import shop, food court etc. They are always busy. You can even drive in and have an oil/filter change and tank filled [at no charge for labour by PTT staff] while you enjoy a coffee in an Amazon rain forest setting.
I've told her to buy it into the 20's if she likes it

I think the retail spinoff is a good buy

Moo Uaon

Buy on the dips... surely PTTs sales and profits down during the pandemic?
Electric cars are going to be the thing of the future but probably further off in LoS.
There's a general push away from fossil fuels but Thai will rely on diesel for a while yet.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Buy on the dips... surely PTTs sales and profits down during the pandemic?
Electric cars are going to be the thing of the future but probably further off in LoS.
There's a general push away from fossil fuels but Thai will rely on diesel for a while yet.
To my surprise, EV charging stations are popping up all over. ThaiWatsadu/DoHome [hardware stores] already have them installed and PTT are reto-fitting their sites. You are correct in that fossil fuels will be used in Thailand, if not most of SEAsia, for a long time yet.