What are you eating ?

Dupree

A little Friday night grub. Watching Peaky Blinders. Nachos Dupree. Guacamole top with chorizo and cheddar. That Pyrat rum is really good sipping too.20200724_174206.jpg

kaptainrob

Administrator
199 bt all you can eat German buffet last night >

Auf Der Au [Saraphi] is normally 299 bt though due to Covid they've cut back the buffet selection, not that it made much difference, and we enjoyed a fine repast of tender roast pork knuckle with crackle, sauerkraut, creamed spinach, potato, and wide variety of salads and cold cuts. I have always enjoyed Udo's dessert cakes - layered apple pie, black forest cake, cheesecake and many other yummy offerings.

We usually take a bottle of red to share with our friends although beer is well priced. No Paulaner or beer Laos in stock last night so I had a Snowy Weizen @ 35 bt .... cheaper than 7-11 price.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Meatloaf with BBQ sauce, all home-made >
Meatloaf.jpg

I usually divide the ~600gr mince into 2 loaves as this allows a larger crust area to form and it cooks quicker. Basting with sauce in the last 20 mins of roasting makes for a nice glaze.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Homemade? What's your recipe?
Meatloaf with BBQ sauce
Serves 4

Simple to make and quick to cook!

Ingredients:
600g Minced beef, regular – NOT diet mince
1 slice White bread, thick
½ cup Milk
1 lg Onion, finely diced
2 tsp Oil
3/4 cup Parsley, finely chopped
Sauce:
½ cup Water
½ cup Tomato sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tblsp Vinegar, cider or malt
¼ cup Brown sugar
1 tsp Instant coffee, heaped (for umami)

Method:
1. Cook onion over low heat until just beginning to caramelise. Remove
from heat and allow to cool.
2. Combine sauce mix in a saucepan and bring to the boil, simmer for a
few minutes.
3. Pre-heat oven to 180c (170c fan-forced). Tear up bread and place in large mixing bowl,
pour over milk and allow to sit a few minutes until milk is absorbed.
4. Add mince, onion and parsley to bowl, season and mix thoroughly by
hand. Divide mix into 2 sausage-shaped loaves.
5. Place loaves in a large roasting dish and cover with foil. Cook for 20
minutes. Remove foil and pour off liquid from pan.
6. Drizzle sauce all over the loaves and return to oven, uncovered, for a
further 30 minutes. Baste loaves with sauce at least once more.
7. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
Note: Sauce may also be used only as a glaze by basting loaves at least
twice in last 30 mins of cooking. The balance of sauce should be reduced to
a thicker consistency in the saucepan and may be served separately.

kaptainrob

Administrator
We decided to test out a well advertised local (home) restaurant run by a farang - moussaka being todays special. Arrived at 1210pm to be advised the special was sold out despite only one other table of 6 (waiting on food). No offer of alternative nor discount for something else off the menu so we walked ....

Our usual go-to bistro at Rimping supermarket is always good.

Chicken cashew and seafood rardna - 165 THB >

Last edited:

kaptainrob

Administrator

Made a cheesecake today, same as above, only difference being mine has little green flecks of lime zest, barely visible, where yellow lemon zest would be unnoticeable.

We have French/Thai couple, 3 doors away, who often provide similar treats so I'll be able to reciprocate with this as they may be tired of pumpkin pie .... can make them in my sleep now.

MarcTwoSix

Ya its a refreshing meal , probably attribute that to the mint .
We go for a high end cut of steak , feel that makes a big difference .
I believe you need to, you can do a lower quality when it doused with some sauce

But something like............quality meat cook rare/med rare
And I like a decent squeeze of lime, I am not a huge fish sauce fan so the lime neutralizes the fish sauce a bit for me

do ron

I believe you need to, you can do a lower quality when it doused with some sauce

But something like............quality meat cook rare/med rare
And I like a decent squeeze of lime, I am not a huge fish sauce fan so the lime neutralizes the fish sauce a bit for me
Ms Do Ron adds a desert spoon of brown sugar , it quells the taste and pungent smell of the fish sauce .