What are you eating ?

MarcTwoSix

What a crap article! 555

Supposed to be written by a Thai? Who does not know Lao Khao means "rice whisky" instead of "white spirit"??
And in one article protests the stuff for having methanol in in, but advertises the small home brewery and bashes the large distilleries... Just ridiculous!
I guarantee that if you ask any of Ao's Thai friends in Vancouver that grew up in Bangkok
They would have no idea what Lao Khao is

kaptainrob

Administrator
What a crap article! 555

Supposed to be written by a Thai? Who does not know Lao Khao means "rice whisky" instead of "white spirit"??
And in one article protests the stuff for having methanol in in, but advertises the small home brewery and bashes the large distilleries... Just ridiculous!
You are wrong Erik. The correct translation is as stated, white spirit. (I always thought it was rice spirit.) The common name is rice whiskey although calling it a whiskey is misleading because the rice grain is not malted as in true whiskeys.

Chob

As theres no obvious header ... i keep posting things in the wrong place on this new TD ! 55

Ah well ...

Moo Uaon

Yeah one of those raw prawns could equate to a nice pan size bream at the nearby river where I am.
No "disco prawns" for me.

kaptainrob

Administrator
IMG-8f93d12decef39e32cb614c68944f9d4-V.jpg
Tassie salmon dinner by my son, in Oz, had us salivating and we nearly bought a couple of Aud $21 per kg fillets at Makro .... until I noticed the other label ....
20201028_114458.jpg

I alerted the store Manager who was to investigate the discrepancy and I will check labels again next visit .... be nice if it was Tassie salmon, especially at 477bt a kg.

Bacon

Administrator
not sure I could eat a raw prawn , always thought you could get food poisoning from them
Surely you've had it with sushi before.

I've had the little live ones. They mix then with herbs and lemon and chili which starts to cook them alive. Never tried it again. Mostly cause it wasn't even tasty. I've never found any of these sort of trendy or shock value dishes to actually be any good.

Stillearly

I've had the little live ones. They mix then with herbs and lemon and chili which starts to cook them alive. Never tried it again. Mostly cause it wasn't even tasty. I've never found any of these sort of trendy or shock value dishes to actually be any good.
not really a big sushi fan , and never been tempted by the dancing shrimp ... seem similar with tiny crabs

kaptainrob

Administrator

I had them once and came to the same conclusions.

Years later I watched local fishermen wading thru chest deep river water and netting baby shrimp ... immediately down river and within 20m of the filthiest, most polluted, black and foaming khlong outfall into CM's Ping river. We often see them fried in a batter mix at local markets.