What are you eating ?

kaptainrob

Administrator
Love some of the butchers fat beef sausages here in Oz.
Can't stand Thai sausages. Our friend from CM here on the Goldie makes them and my girl tried them once and was crook as a dog later from the chilli.... gave her a good clean out though 55
Gourmet sausages from an Aussie butcher can be superb. 50 years ago, Billy at Ashmore Plaza was one of the 1st to make them on the GC and whilst he's long gone, his legacy remains. By a strange coincidence we found a 'Billy the Butcher' at Ashgrove on Waterworks Rd and his meat and smallgoods are probably the best you'll get in Qld. His Xmas hams are to die for though I missed out this year due to C19. :(

Your local CM friend obviously doesn't know how to make true Isaan or Lanna style sausages or is perhaps lacking certain ingredients. I've never tried either style with excessive chili, they are not supposed to be too spicy. Some have too high a fat content though. :(

1611225966377.png

bacwaan

I love Victor Churchill's Butchers in Woollhara Sydney..spend a small fortune there every time I go home....their displays are like works of art...

victorchurchills.png

OzzyDamo

Gourmet sausages from an Aussie butcher can be superb. 50 years ago, Billy at Ashmore Plaza was one of the 1st to make them on the GC and whilst he's long gone, his legacy remains. By a strange coincidence we found a 'Billy the Butcher' at Ashgrove on Waterworks Rd and his meat and smallgoods are probably the best you'll get in Qld. His Xmas hams are to die for though I missed out this year due to C19. :(

Your local CM friend obviously doesn't know how to make true Isaan or Lanna style sausages or is perhaps lacking certain ingredients. I've never tried either style with excessive chili, they are not supposed to be too spicy. Some have too high a fat content though. :(

View attachment 1296
Some use too much of the soft cartilage and skin, in the right proportion they are harmonious- its the same as italian sausage recipes, different regions have different ideas and different families tweak them left or right of the basic recipe.
Cross the Adriatic and the sausage looses it skin and is called Cevapcici, they hark back to origin of the sausage and the hamburger; the Persians and their Kofta Kebabs brought to europe via the Parthians who later intergrated with the Slavic peoples. Wood fire using olive or grape vine trimmings are the real deal and add flavour to the final result- these are easy to make at home, the key is like in all food the correct amount of salt and I put a dash of Rakia(wine mash whiskey- grappa) in there to keep the bacterias from growing to quickly. The secret to these is not mincing the meat crushing it, but using a very convex blade to chop it- https://whereismyspoon.co/cevapi-or-cevapcici-recipe-grilled-sausages-croatian-food/

Last edited:

MarcTwoSix

This is probably my fondest memory as a child

Howard Johnson's restaurant
If you are late 40's/50/60 and grew up in the Northeast these restaurants are your childhood!

They were in all the rest stops
Had a game room that you couldn't wait to go play in after finishing your meal

It was a big deal to go to Howard Johnsons!

howard-johnson-s-restaurant.jpgunnamed.jpg

MarcTwoSix

Eventually everything disappears... and soon nothing is left but dementia...
Actually where I am from, they don't.....for the most part

Almost all my favorite places I love, I have been going to my whole life

Now Vancouver? Nothing lasts more than 10 years because the people here are devoid of any emotions.
So they don't care at all about places of the past

As long as their house value goes up

Quarky

Administrator
Actually where I am from, they don't.....for the most part

Almost all my favorite places I love, I have been going to my whole life

Now Vancouver? Nothing lasts more than 10 years because the people here are devoid of any emotions.
So they don't care at all about places of the past

As long as their house value goes up
When I go back to NZ where I grew up it is almost unrecognisable. Shops completely different. It has gone from suburban houses surrounded by bush... to resembling American commercial style properties everywhere as the houses slowly disappear.
No one I knew as kid still live in the same city let alone the same suburb...

If I had grown up in a NZ country town it would probably be much the same as they have hardly changed. If I go back to NZ it would be to a country town... Ideally near the coast...

MarcTwoSix

When I go back to NZ where I grew up it is almost unrecognisable. Shops completely different. It has gone from suburban houses surrounded by bush... to resembling American commercial style properties everywhere as the houses slowly disappear.
No one I knew as kid still live in the same city let alone the same suburb...

If I had grown up in a NZ country town it would probably be much the same as they have hardly changed. If I go back to NZ it would be to a country town... Ideally near the coast...
I can name my top 30, maybe 50 spots right off the top of my head , that are all still there and been there for 40+ years

Also I think there are so many historic buildings in Boston that they can't be redeveloped

Neighborhoods have gotten gentrified and people redo the insides
But not as many big developments go up

Quarky

Administrator
I can name my top 30, maybe 50 spots right off the top of my head , that are all still there and been there for 40+ years

Also I think there are so many historic buildings in Boston that they can't be redeveloped

Neighborhoods have gotten gentrified and people redo the insides
But not as many big developments go up
I think that's much better for dementia too. As long term memory is usually much better so you'll still be able to find your way around Boston even if you can't remember the name of the current US President.

I'd like that... a place to call home that never changes... Like Walton's Mountain.

MarcTwoSix

A new high end Italian restaurant opened in Vancouver that has a strict no phones/camera policy

Let's see how that works.....

MarcTwoSix

Hopefully they have a website with pics.
Prefer amateur photos

By the way, I don't need to do that in Boston or NYC
If say Chicken Parm is on the menu.
I sort of know how it will be prepared

But they make things so different here, that I want to check out how they make a Chicken Parm

Quarky

Administrator
Prefer amateur photos

By the way, I don't need to do that in Boston or NYC
If say Chicken Parm is on the menu.
I sort of know how it will be prepared

But they make things so different here, that I want to check out how they make a Chicken Parm
What did you do before smart phones? Starve?