What are you eating ?

Dupree

This is why I like checking out hotels on TripAdvisor. You get a more immediate sense of what a place is really like cause they allow amature photos.
The thing is. Pictures don't tell the whole story. And Trip Advisor are a bunch of cunts. I reviewed the horrible food at a couple restaurants in an All Inclusive hotel in Cancun.
It turned into WWIII. There were a bunch of self appointed know it alls. That attacked me for an honest review. Little did they know that type of behavior was right in my wheel house...555

kaptainrob

Administrator

OKRA ... I was 1st introduced to this not-so-versatile vegetable (or is it a fruit?) when in Europe in the 70's, used in stews and curries. Nothing flash, not stand-alone. But I liked it.

Fast forward to Thailand and we often enjoy okra stirfried, alone with spices or with mixed vegetables. Several years ago we learnt to cook okra Indian style, as 'bhindi masala' .... very very tasty although authentic recipes required many spices.

Now, I simply stirfry with some onion in oil, covered to sweat the okra, when tender I add garlic and curry powder, cook a few more minutes and splash in some fish sauce .... 10 minutes cooking all up and it's delicious. Healthy too!

bacwaan

^ Okra is nice and cheap here....I use it more in a TexMex style where it breaks down over long slow cooking but have used it a few times in flash spicey wok cooking where it retains a more "al dente" texture and quite like it

MarcTwoSix

Good to see Kalamata olives being used on a 'Greek' pizza instead of the cheap black ones. Both look very tasty.
So we have Greek pizza places in Boston
Pretty much each city has one and they are always called House of Pizza
Not a chain
Just like Boston House of Pizza, etc

This article sums it up perfectly
It's not that great, very distinct taste but we grew up on it so we love it

And it has a distinct look to it also

2020-03-15.jpg

do ron

So we have Greek pizza places in Boston
Pretty much each city has one and they are always called House of Pizza
Not a chain
Just like Boston House of Pizza, etc

This article sums it up perfectly
It's not that great, very distinct taste but we grew up on it so we love it

And it has a distinct look to it also

View attachment 1394
If i had to choose 1 genre of food to survive the rest of my days on if go for Greek .

Kleftiko , moussaka , tzatziki with pitta bread , not to mention their olives .

MarcTwoSix

If i had to choose 1 genre of food to survive the rest of my days on if go for Greek .

I hate olives, my #1 hated food

But agree with you on rest of Greek food

bacwaan

we had a Turkish Pizza (Pide) joint just near my house in Sydney's Surrey Hills back in the day (40+ years ago)..I loved their cheese and mined beef, egg and cheese with parsley and loads of lemon and their xchopped lamb pides..they were like $3 each too so even a struggling student + muso like me could afford to buy a couple to share with a friend...was offered a shot of raki (sometimes way too many 555) with them as well

pide-with-lamb.jpg

kaptainrob

Administrator

You forgot Souvlaki. Took me a while to find really good moussaka in Athens as many restaurants failed with the bechemal sauce. My daily breakfast included a big olive plate with a variety of types grown all over the country.