What are you eating ?

obes

Battered, fried, fresh scallops were bloody near impossible to top when I was a young bloke.
One bite, the juices and unforgettable flavour would smack you right where you wanted it - freakin yummmmmo...

Bacon

Administrator
Battered, fried, fresh scallops were bloody near impossible to top when I was a young bloke.
One bite, the juices and unforgettable flavour would smack you right where you wanted it - freakin yummmmmo...
Food in general was a whole different thing back then though.

Stephen King touches on this in his novel about that time traveler that goes back to the 60s to stop the JFK assignation. The guy sits in a diner and takes a bite of some bacon and eggs or something real simple, and his jaw drops.

The quality of food has gone down at such a steady rate that most people haven't realised.

There's an old lady nearby with a chicken coup that brings me a dozen eggs every week. That and the goats I shoot myself which isn't often, barra and veggies from nearby aquaponics(when I can get it) is all something out of this world. Decent bacon I have no access to except the shops unfortunately.

You'd be hard pressed feeding raw scallops to a kid though. I wouldn't eat cheap ones, especially these days, and anything really worth the money you pay for shouldn't be treated like that. That's strictly my personal taste though. Each to their own. I'm sure it was a treat.

kaptainrob

Administrator
^ That's just a waste of oysters to me, but each to their own 55.
Ah but the the secret is in the beer batter and 10 seconds of fry time which puffs out the batter while barely warming the oyster thru to release that rich metallic flavour. I usually eat 2 dozen raw to a dozen deep fried or kilpatrick.

NZ premium bacon, wet or dry cured, always tastes better than the Aussie supermarket crap, not sure why unless from a different breed of pig or better feed quality perhaps. I used to be able to get kiwi bacon in some Aussie shops, 4 Square from memory but that may've been before they sold out to an African company.

MarcTwoSix

I don't know how people can stomach fried food. It's just vulgar.

The reason so much seafood is fried is because the quality is shite or it's been sitting around for a while. Same as ordering a well done stake. Even at high end restaurants, the chef will automatically reach for the lowest quality cut he's got when some dimwit asks for well done, cause when you destroy it like that you can't tell the difference anyway.
New England is known for seafood
It is basically our cultural food.

These places are packed every single day
Nothing has been "sitting around"

But fried food can be shitty, for sure

MarcTwoSix

We never got the fried clams with the bellies in Syracuse. First time I had them with bellies was 20 years at the Yankee Clipper. Nobody at the table liked them. Except for one guy. Who ate most of them. He was puking all night.
They are definitely an acquired, local taste.....

MarcTwoSix

We went to a house party BBQ tonight

We stopped by the bakery to bring a cake

When we were getting out of the car
My wife asked what was the small box

I said "it's pizza leave it"

Everyone knows you go to a bakery in Boston you get a couple slices of bakery pizza

Dupree

We went to a house party BBQ tonight

We stopped by the bakery to bring a cake

When we were getting out of the car
My wife asked what was the small box

I said "it's pizza leave it"

Everyone knows you go to a bakery in Boston you get a couple slices of bakery pizza
Already planning your evening TV snack for after the bbq...🙂

I have an appointment in the city today. I have to time it near noon when Golden Boy Pizza opens...55

MarcTwoSix

Brown Sugar Cafe

Long time place near Boston University
I never took Ao there before because it's appearance always sort of looked like a "Thai place for white people " 5555

Well I had one happy wife
So I guess it's for Thai people 😀

The ribs were amazing, fall off the bone
She loved the Red Duck Curry and soft shell crab tempura 1623201819100.jpg1623201819145.jpg1623201819168.jpg

MarcTwoSix

My amazing wife made me an incredible omelet today

Chilli, fish sauce, crispy pork and Knorr seasoning

It was sooooo good!20210609_093351.jpg

bacwaan

I also actually prefer runny scrambled eggs and omelets as well

But Thais always make omelets like this and it was incredibly good

Thais usually flash fry their omelettes in hot oil...way hotter, with way more oil than we would usually use..which browns/crisps them at the edges but keeps them moist whilst cooked through in the centre...

I probably eat 3-4 omelettes a week now..all cooked by me at home..usually with leftovers from the evening before's dinner plus whatever veges I find in the fridge...over a very small portion of rice..usually brown

kaptainrob

Administrator
I also actually prefer runny scrambled eggs and omelets as well

But Thais always make omelets like this and it was incredibly good
We seem to go thru a tray of eggs real fast in our house and Jo knocks up some awesome omelets and banana leaf parcels made with a mix of herbs, meat and egg to bind it.

Paul, have you enjoyed any scrod yet? Andrew Zimmern did a good segment on Boston food incl, clam chowder, oysters, scrod and choc chip cookies!

MarcTwoSix

We seem to go thru a tray of eggs real fast in our house and Jo knocks up some awesome omelets and banana leaf parcels made with a mix of herbs, meat and egg to bind it.

Paul, have you enjoyed any scrod yet? Andrew Zimmern did a good segment on Boston food incl, clam chowder, oysters, scrod and choc chip cookies!
1st dish I had when I got here :)

It's hard for me to eat anything other than seafood when here
I probably eat seafood at least 50% of the time

union-oyster-house2.jpg

Edit.....Bacon mentioned his dislike of fried food. This above, broiled with bread crumbs and butter is my favorite way to eat seafood

Last edited:

MarcTwoSix

Although we had horrible Thai yesterday
One of the worst we have ever had and this restaurant was at the top of lists for Boston's best

But my little Thai whipped up her famous ribs when my brother came over last night
They are always sooooo good 20210611_183456.jpg