What are you eating ?

Stillearly

I struggle with the Thai Beers , i find them very acidy , I'm a Guinness drinker at home .

I go for a the San Miguel light in Thailand , out of the freezer with frost attached
they also do a SM Zero ( although it's 3% )

as a Guinness man , maybe try the Beer Lao if you get a chance

MarcTwoSix

I struggle with the Thai Beers , i find them very acidy , I'm a Guinness drinker at home .

I go for a the San Miguel light in Thailand , out of the freezer with frost attached
San Miguel would be way more acidic than any of the Thai beers, IMO

Chaimai

All Thai beers are crap, way too sweet - with a high calorie count.

When you stay long time you adapt and for years my beer of choice was LEO, I switched to Chang when the abv dropped from 6.4% to 5%. As part of a calorie cutting exercise (and the sweet taste) I changed to San Miguel Zero - a much better taste for me and only 60 calories a bottle.

I don't like dark beers, except Guinness - preferably served in the long bar of the Arlington Hotel, Temple Bar or Guinness Storehouse. There are some new brews on the block and those who like the dark beer Lao may like Dunkel from Carabao, they also do a lager and an IPA. They have also launched the Tawandang label which is a wheat beer.

kaptainrob

Administrator
All Thai beers are crap, way too sweet - with a high calorie count.

When you stay long time you adapt and for years my beer of choice was LEO, I switched to Chang when the abv dropped from 6.4% to 5%. As part of a calorie cutting exercise (and the sweet taste) I changed to San Miguel Zero - a much better taste for me and only 60 calories a bottle.

I don't like dark beers, except Guinness - preferably served in the long bar of the Arlington Hotel, Temple Bar or Guinness Storehouse. There are some new brews on the block and those who like the dark beer Lao may like Dunkel from Carabao, they also do a lager and an IPA. They have also launched the Tawandang label which is a wheat beer.

Beer Laos is excellent, lager, dark or wheat. BUT .. beware of date stamps as many outlets have very old stock.

Carabao is crap IMHO. Thailand make some excellent craft beers either reimported or brewed in Vietnam under license.

do ron

they also do a SM Zero ( although it's 3% )

as a Guinness man , maybe try the Beer Lao if you get a chance
Guinness cant be consumed in anything approaching warm weather , it just kills you . Tried it once in a well known sports bar in Pattaya and Espania - both with regrettable result's .

Any European country id switch to wine but its just not a viable option in Thailand .

Usually switch to a craft beer here in the summer months .

Good Guinness is like cream or mothers milk , but you have to respect it . If you're not accustomed to it , 8 pints in the ground start moving and you're in trouble .

Guinness.jpg

MarcTwoSix

Guinness cant be consumed in anything approaching warm weather , it just kills you . Tried it once in a well known sports bar in Pattaya and Espania - both with regrettable result's .

Any European country id switch to wine but its just not a viable option in Thailand .

Usually switch to a craft beer here in the summer months .

Good Guinness is like cream or mothers milk , but you have to respect it . If you're not accustomed to it , 8 pints in the ground start moving and you're in trouble .

View attachment 10042
Wine will soon be a viable option

They did away with that crazy wine tarriff as well as reducing the tax on it by 50%

So you should see decent wines in Thailand at some point

Chaimai

Wine will soon be a viable option

They did away with that crazy wine tariff as well as reducing the tax on it by 50%

So you should see decent wines in Thailand at some point

A lovely thought.

Why do I seem skeptical......

You Aussies must feel like committing Hari Kari when you come to Thailand - from free-flowing wine in the streets of Brisbane to paying 1,000 Baht for a box of fruit wine.

Even in the UK I can get a decent bottle of wine for under 250 Baht - here I am paying 3 times that for table wine.

I am not expecting great changes but the tariff/tax changes are a step in the right direction.

MarcTwoSix

A lovely thought.

Why do I seem skeptical......

You Aussies must feel like committing Hari Kari when you come to Thailand - from free-flowing wine in the streets of Brisbane to paying 1,000 Baht for a box of fruit wine.

Even in the UK I can get a decent bottle of wine for under 250 Baht - here I am paying 3 times that for table wine.

I am not expecting great changes but the tariff/tax changes are a step in the right direction.
I'm American 5555

But the wine tariff was 54-60%!

And that is completely abolished

So that should get you wines coming in similar to Vietnam and Cambodia

Wine is taxed heavily in Canada but can still get decent bottles for 400-600 baht

In US can degree find decent bottles at 250 baht or so

Chaimai

I'm American 5555

But the wine tariff was 54-60%!

And that is completely abolished

So that should get you wines coming in similar to Vietnam and Cambodia

Wine is taxed heavily in Canada but can still get decent bottles for 400-600 baht

In US can degree find decent bottles at 250 baht or so

Sorry about that, I assumed most posters were from Oz.

I don't mind paying 400-600 Baht for something half decent, but paying that - and more - for plonk is not reasonable.

I remain skeptical about these reductions passing through to the consumer - I shall be delighted to be proved wrong.

I had a restaurant in Buriram for a few years and we were only an hour away from the Cambodian border. We arranged regular trips to Siem Reap where I was buying a box of Kangaroo Reserve for the equivalent of 150 Baht a bottle. At that time we were paying 900 Baht for a box of Mont Clair plonk. I think our liquor shelf would outshine a Pattaya bar - nearly all acquired from Cambodia.