What first attracted you to Thailand?

PeteGill

First beer in 14 years? You must have been thirsty! ..55

Or had you been to that bar 14 years before?
Very thirsty 555 Hard to have been in that bar before as it was my first trip to LOS.
Took a self imposed break from booze for a while. And even after I started to go to LOS I only ever drank whilst there, not at home.
Now, not so much 5555

Chob

Very thirsty 555 Hard to have been in that bar before as it was my first trip to LOS.
Took a self imposed break from booze for a while. And even after I started to go to LOS I only ever drank whilst there, not at home.
Now, not so much 5555
Right now can you drink Pete?
I mean are your government still banning booze ?

PeteGill

Right now can you drink Pete?
I mean are your government still banning booze ?
Right now I am practising my third Dry January of the year 555
The restrictions were lifted at the beginning of June but reinstated early July. So no booze on sale. I have a little left in the house, but just alow myself a whiskey on a Saturday night.
We should be hitting the national peak soon and the Western Cape where I lice is seeing a decline in new Covid cases..
So perhaps in a few weeks the alcohol restrictions will be partially lifted

MarcTwoSix

I mentioned I had the shits in Patong 555

I ended up getting a pretty bad bacterial infection
The last week of a 2 week holiday I basically could only drink beers

Any food I ate came right back out of my ass!

Not to be gross but I was shitting in the shower!
My last night in Thailand I shit the bed at the Westin, left 50usd in the room 555

I lost 20lbs

Got back and went to the doctor, he touched my stomach and knew it was fcuked

And actually it has sort of fucked up my stomach for good
If I eat food that may be just a little off, I get sick and can literally feel it in my stomach until I can pass it

Again, sorry for TMI but it was a big part of my 1st trip 5555

Chob

You prolly heard my story before , but anyway...

Me and a farang gf were on a 2 year trip around the world , trying to cover as much of it over land where possible.
The last few months included plans to travel by train from Bkk to Singapore.
Anyway I thought I was food poisoned on my last few days in India , in Bombay to be excact ( what a shithole it was then )..sick as a dog ...

Oh , this was 1981.
As we were landing the Thai Airways staff were banging on the loo door and begging me to be seated , finally I emerged when my gf promised I would sit on a beach towel , so fearful was I of losing my stomach. We got a room at Bonnies Guesthouse on Kao San rd and Bonnies dad ( Bonnie was the Thai couples daughter ) hurried me to a hospital in a Tuk Tuk ... I always remember being happy it had vinyl seats ...555
The hospital was unpronounceable -Bumrumgrad - as was pretty much everything I heard or saw.
( There was some irony here , as little did I realise I would be rushed to that same hospital from Soi 4 , with a stroke , all of 25 years later ...)
Anyway , I was put on a drip and assigned a Dr who was a Sikh and had great English , and he had recently married and had gone touring in his families new car wedding present , and he highly recommended Phuket.
His family was obviously wealthy for that time , but he was a thorough gentleman and great young Dr. I had had very good dealings with Sikhs across India , and it was the same with him.
He also felt I had contracted a not widely known virus at the time - Dengue fever ... which would explain the blinding head and joint aches and later his predicted recovery time was bang on.

After about 10 days I was fit again , but extremely thin , and he prompted us to head for Phuket and a long relax on the beach.
Kata Beach to be exact.
We were convinced to go with a group of travellers to the 'naughty bars' of Patpong before we left , but it didnt do much for me - lots of pretty but bored Thai girls standing on the bar in conservative bikinis with numbers on ( what gives with that ? 555) while in the Algarve or Nice or Crete or Chapora the Euro girls were often topless , and very friendly ...

So we boarded the train in Hua Lamphong and rattled slowly south.
The Thai people were really kind to us , and the train was airy and alive - until it stopped...555
Then the sweat formed puddles on your belt line.
On the train you saw behind the facades , 'back yard Thailand ' so to speak , and lots of happy people living close to the bone in grass huts with skinny animals tethered underneath.
Yes , I had seen similiar in India , but these folk seemed way more optimistic and jolly , the kids laughing and yelling , "Harllloooo!" when they spotted you ... poor , but not the grinding filthy poor of India ( tho Kerala in India was an exception ).
They seemed to have plenty of water , and enough food , and all these farms you got to observe closely , were quite productive.
Stunning slim young women in colourful sarongs and bikini tops , balanced water jugs on their heads and their long neatly cut black hair shone in the sun , as they stood , upright and and shoulders to await the train to pass , then broke into fabulous smiles as you rattled by.
Though plenty had dark red teeth back then , from chewing beetle nut.
But they had a lovely poise about them... even with the farm girls , their movements seemed to have a studied gentleness and shy comeliness I had not observed in other races. Slim lovely women...
Anyway , at Surat we got off , and after a lot of confusion boarded a 1950's bus to Phuket Town.
It was non descript.
Then we had to stand in the back of a tip truck and cling onto a taught rope to ride to Patong. Jesus , was that hot and dusty , going down that Kathu mountain on the dirt road into Patong was terrifying , I was ready to bail off the back should it look like the brakes failed ! Instead they just squealed ...555

We didnt even stay over at Patong ... we boarded a SongTeow 15 minutes later. But geez , Patong Beach was really beautiful as we drove by. We were starting to regret not stopping until we broke out of the tree cover and looked down on Karon and Kata 20 minutes later.
Mile after mile of golden sands and acqua blue water sparkled in front of us.
We forded a small tidal sandy mangrove inlet where the lake at Karon is today - it showed evidence of mining ... , then thru kilometres of Copra Farms ( coconut groves ) till we stopped at Katas southernpoint , and "Mr. Boons Guesthouse".
It was new , 12 raised grass bungalows with thick thatch roofs , and a fan , mosquito net ...and a slab at rear housing a cold water shower - and a western flush toilet ! Even had electric lights !
For 10 days we frollicked in the crystal sea , swung on the Tarzan rope on the tree where the tiny Rasta bar is now , and gorged on fish and seafood and Thai food. It was better than Colva in Goa , it was even better than Negril in Jamaica or Tulum in Mexico...

I swore Id come back as we rattled on again thru Haad Yai to KL and Singapore.
But I didnt.
Im 1996 and 15 years later I brought my 4 kids to Samui.
In 1997 we came with friends to Bkk and Chiang Mai ( which we had missed in 1981... and I really liked it !)
Finally in 2000 I came with my wife and we visited Phuket and I got to swim again out in the clear cool waters at Kata Point.
Mr Boons was gone - and nobody seemed to know who I was talking about.
There was building going on everywhere disappointingly , but the kids still called out , "Haarrloooo!" and laughed and the ladies still had shining long black hair and winning smiles...

Gazmac

For me it was 2008 . A good mate in the fishing tackle industry "told"me i was going on a holiday with him ! He being a fishing Tackle Store owner and I a Tackle sales rep , I naturally presumed we were going fishing somewhere here in Western Australia ! Nope ! he wanted to go overseas somewhere . No idea where as yet lol . Ok i guess i better get a passport again then hey . Oh by the way , when are we going ? 2 weeks time ! Oh bugger fast track a passport then .
Hey whats the urgency on this trip ? Answer : I have a milestone Birthday in 2 weeks and i don't want to be here for my mates to give me hell , and your the only one i know that can go anywhere at the drop of a hat lol . ( I was single and working for myself )
Anyway we ended up booking a trip to Phuket/Patong .
Luckily I did know what goes on etc there as have 10 friends that go twice every year to play golf and they had told me many stories over a few years so i wasm't blindsided.
Being fishing nuts we had done research and booked a Game fishing charter before we left. The day before we were due to go we got a call to say the boat we were supposed to go was broken down so upgraded to another boat no extra charge ! Awesome ! Upgrade it 100% was ! Full blown Anderman Game Boat ! It was just before the Marlin season and they used us as a shakedown before the big money guys came to play . Caught a few sailfish etc and had an amazing day !
Rest of the 8 days we were there we really just chilled out and did the touristy stuff during the days and eating and people watching nights.
Didn't really do the bar scene untill 2nd last night. Yes that is also the night i met my now wife 555. So there you go ! Here is another one that met a BG on first trip and married her !
2nd trip back I met KR ! Still trying to figure out if that was good or bad lol . Nah was good ! We had some very entertaining nights over a few trips together before he Met Jo !
P.S. Rob i still have the photos to prove it ! 555 . Even the twins ! ( that should get some bites )

kaptainrob

Administrator
Late 2009 IIRC, AirAsia special $99 return flights Gold Coast/Kuala Lumpur + another $100 for HKT leg. Having just quit as skipper on a superyacht after the owner got into financial difficulties, I decided a long awaited visit to LOS was in order.

Bought 2 tickets and took my son for a week in KL (6 days too long) and a week in HKT (50 years too short).

Staying at Deevana up the northern end of Patong we didn't get past the 1st beer bar on Ratty Tits and had a ripper time with the girls ... son made off with one toward Hollywood as I stumbled back to my room. From then on it was Bangla every night although I didn't find MTB or PI until the next visit a few months later.... as for Gazmac (trip 3 or 4) and his stories, not true ;) 55

Minder

It was around July or August, but the year was 2001.

My internet research was via a then fledgling Bangkok nightlife website called Stickman’s Bangkok. A kiwi guy named Paul who was trying to be an online version of Bernard Trink’s Nite-owl column in the Bangkok Post

I landed at Don Muang around 10pm at night and was a wide-eyed newbie at the Dollhouse in the now defunct Clinton Plaza by midnight.

My hotel was in Soi 22 and charged me a 500-baht joiner fee when I got back.

A couple of days later it was a bus ride from Ekkamai to Pattaya and a PADI scuba diving course with Mermaids in Jomtien. Baht buses, beer, bubbles and "Hello sexy man" for five nights and then back to Bangkok.

The Landmark Hotel, a return to Clinton and a meeting with a mate, who showed me his favourite bar, some place called the Long Gun in a Soi called Cowboy.

Yeah, I am smiling as I type. 5555

MarcTwoSix

You prolly heard my story before , but anyway...

Me and a farang gf were on a 2 year trip around the world , trying to cover as much of it over land where possible.
The last few months included plans to travel by train from Bkk to Singapore.
Anyway I thought I was food poisoned on my last few days in India , in Bombay to be excact ( what a shithole it was then )..sick as a dog ...
I was pleasantly surprised by Bombay when I went about 5 years ago.............

Dupree

2008. My first time was lucky. Right off of a divorce. Got introduced to a friend of a friend I heard about. Who was going to LOS every year. We met for some drinks. And he gave me a lot of advice. I brought a notebook..55. Turns out we were going to LOS at the same time. So he was my private guide....Then I found Phuket Info...and you lot...555

Last edited:

Quarky

Administrator
It was around July or August, but the year was 2001.

My internet research was via a then fledgling Bangkok nightlife website called Stickman’s Bangkok. A kiwi guy named Paul who was trying to be an online version of Bernard Trink’s Nite-owl column in the Bangkok Post

I landed at Don Muang around 10pm at night and was a wide-eyed newbie at the Dollhouse in the now defunct Clinton Plaza by midnight.

My hotel was in Soi 22 and charged me a 500-baht joiner fee when I got back.

A couple of days later it was a bus ride from Ekkamai to Pattaya and a PADI scuba diving course with Mermaids in Jomtien. Baht buses, beer, bubbles and "Hello sexy man" for five nights and then back to Bangkok.

The Landmark Hotel, a return to Clinton and a meeting with a mate, who showed me his favourite bar, some place called the Long Gun in a Soi called Cowboy.

Yeah, I am smiling as I type. 5555
Where was Clinton Plaza? Was that near Washington Square?

bacwaan

1967/8 iirc..on a stopover between Sydney and London on a trip back to the UK to see my Grandparents..just me and my dad

I fell in love with the exoticisim of the place and I guess too by the eroticism, although I was probably unaware of it at that stage of my life ...i was totally headspun by the beauty of the women and the charm + politeness of everybody....plus the food and temples etc..

It was the first time I had ever been adressed as Mr Nelson by servers etc and I remember finding that amusing whilst the old man shushed me....we stayed down on the Chao Praya at I think was the Oriental Hotel...it was a hedy mix of grandeur in the hotel and squalor just outside.....

I found it all so mindblowing foreign, confusing (in a brilliant way) and exciting..I vowed to come back when I "grew up"..and I did..55

do ron

It was April 2010 for me , with my brother his GF and some of his pals . My parents brought myself and siblings around a lot of Europe when we were kids ( another big debt I owe mum + Dad ) so reasonably well travelled at the time .

True to stereotype spent our first 3 nights in D&D in the middle of Khao San Rd . Then on to phi phi for around a week there IIRC . Headed for patong alone as I was bored of phi phi and I only had 4 days of the holiday left .

On my first night out in patong I bumped into a Scottish bloke in a beer bar and it soon became apparent both of us had a penchant for beer and ladies of the night . So with our friendship blossoming we headed out into Bangla for the night .

After a few heavy days / nights on Bangla with my brother from another mother I was walking up soi banzaan one morning nursing a hangover with one of soi lions finest . I remember the excitement of another night to follow and the anticipation of another lady .

Anyway My Scottish friend was spinning down on his motor bike and began to tell me about a volcano in Iceland that had shut down all air traffic over Europe to which I didn’t believe a word . This was when smartphones weren’t as prevalent and mine was in the hotel anyway .

So after a quick look at Skynews in a travel agent I ended up staying another 2 weeks in patong when i had only 2 days left of the original stay .

Probably changed the course of my life that volcano cause that’s when the love affair with thailand started I’m still good friends with the Scottish gentleman to this day .

I’m a bit of a believer in the Rudolf Steiner theory of life cycles and looking back on My life I feel it’s relevant to me . I just get the feeling I’m at the end of the Thailand cycle and it’s just not a priority anymore .
Who knows , we’ll see ....

MarcTwoSix

Correction. I was on PI at least a year before I came.
I read PI briefly and posted a few times between my 1st and 2nd visit
I went into MTB that 2nd visit but it was just Nicke and not knowing that he is generally quiet, I thought he was kind of a dick 5555

So that 2nd visit I just stayed at Ao's bar mostly and got fleeced by her and her BG friends 555

Then the 3rd trip(all within 8 months) was when I spent most of my time at MTB

MarcTwoSix

It was April 2010 for me , with my brother his GF and some of his pals . My parents brought myself and siblings around a lot of Europe when we were kids ( another big debt I owe mum + Dad ) so reasonably well travelled at the time .

True to stereotype spent our first 3 nights in D&D in the middle of Khao San Rd . Then on to phi phi for around a week there IIRC . Headed for patong alone as I was bored of phi phi and I only had 4 days of the holiday left .

On my first night out in patong I bumped into a Scottish bloke in a beer bar and it soon became apparent both of us had a penchant for beer and ladies of the night . So with our friendship blossoming we headed out into Bangla for the night .

After a few heavy days / nights on Bangla with my brother from another mother I was walking up soi banzaan one morning nursing a hangover with one of soi lions finest . I remember the excitement of another night to follow and the anticipation of another lady .

Anyway My Scottish friend was spinning down on his motor bike and began to tell me about a volcano in Iceland that had shut down all air traffic over Europe to which I didn’t believe a word . This was when smartphones weren’t as prevalent and mine was in the hotel anyway .

So after a quick look at Skynews in a travel agent I ended up staying another 2 weeks in patong when i had only 2 days left of the original stay .

Probably changed the course of my life that volcano cause that’s when the love affair with thailand started I’m still good friends with the Scottish gentleman to this day .

I’m a bit of a believer in the Rudolf Steiner theory of life cycles and looking back on My life I feel it’s relevant to me . I just get the feeling I’m at the end of the Thailand cycle and it’s just not a priority anymore .
Who knows , we’ll see ....

Apparently changed this guy's life some too 555