What to do in Samui when you're old

YankeeDK

In a couple of weeks I am off to Koh Samui with some family. My 79 year old mom is going with us, and I have no clue what to do with her 55. I'll be out drinking most nights obviously and will probably meet up with my mom around noon for some sightseeing. Besides being old she is in good health, although I am not sure how far she (or I for that matter 555) can walk in the heat. What can you recommend?

Quarky

Administrator
YankeeDK;410070 said:
In a couple of weeks I am off to Koh Samui with some family. My 79 year old mom is going with us, and I have no clue what to do with her 55. I'll be out drinking most nights obviously and will probably meet up with my mom around noon for some sightseeing. Besides being old she is in good health, although I am not sure how far she (or I for that matter 555) can walk in the heat. What can you recommend?
Arrange to meet her in the Irish Bar at midnight. She'll be the one with half a dozen men hanging off her every word...

OZZYGUY

kaptainrob;410094 said:
Thought the title was a reference to Baccy ... lol. But he's not THAT old, yet. :)
I think you are older yeah?....55

Ian may be better to comment on this thread...;tiphat;

kaptainrob

Administrator
OZZYGUY;410095 said:
I think you are older yeah?....55

Ian may be better to comment on this thread...;tiphat;
Yeah, I'm exactly that ... 55

If Ian were on KS he could hook up with Mrs YDK.

Bacon

Administrator
Don't always have to be doing stuff. Grab a bungalow right on the beach where she can spend the day relaxing in the sun. Food, drink and massage will never be far away. In between that you can organise a couple of activities here and there.

Day out on a boat maybe? Find something with a cover, not sure. And there's this place up in the hills that we rode past one day and Nells pointed out that it's a popular spa place. Maybe book her a full day thing there.

bacwaan

As Bacon says..make sure she has easy access to a beach so she can wander down there in the morninngs and have breakfast/walk/swim whilst you are sleeping off your hangover....

There is a great day tour on a boat out to the Ang Thong National Park...hundreds of islands just off Samui..and another one to Koh Phanghan/Koh Tao

a half day trip out to Koh Tan/Koh Madsum on a longtail with snorkeling on a reef

plenty of day tours around the islands she can join if she is OK to go on a baht bus truck tour which goes up and over the mountains both coming and going

Take her up to The Jungle Club for sundowners..nice view out over Chaweng from up there...

Coral Cove, Siver Beach and Chaweng Noi are all great beaches to spend the day on..

But most of all...relax

Nomad

YankeeDK;410070 said:
Mum travels with us sometimes and similar age. Enjoys just being with us mainly, get's a kick out of seeing young kids having fun (e.g. at the pool), strolling around the markets (Bhoput?), fish spa, massage and pedicures, temple at Bhoput also, watching Australian Football (or American for you) at a sports bar, etc.

YankeeDK

bacwaan;410101 said:
As Bacon says..make sure she has easy access to a beach so she can wander down there in the morninngs and have breakfast/walk/swim whilst you are sleeping off your hangover....

There is a great day tour on a boat out to the Ang Thong National Park...hundreds of islands just off Samui..and another one to Koh Phanghan/Koh Tao

a half day trip out to Koh Tan/Koh Madsum on a longtail with snorkeling on a reef

plenty of day tours around the islands she can join if she is OK to go on a baht bus truck tour which goes up and over the mountains both coming and going

Take her up to The Jungle Club for sundowners..nice view out over Chaweng from up there...

Coral Cove, Siver Beach and Chaweng Noi are all great beaches to spend the day on..

But most of all...relax
Great ideas from the last half of the thread :D

Yes i am going to stay in a cheap hotel because that's what I am, but I booked my mom into a beach front hotel, and she loves reading, so I don't worry, that she will enjoy her time, while I sleep. Half day tours are a good idea, and the Jungle Club looks awesome.

One more thing. She loves jazz. I don't suppose you know of any jazz clubs in Samui? Or if not, then in Bangkok. We have 1 day there on arrival before we go to Samui.

Ian Forbes

kaptainrob;410096 said:
Yeah, I'm exactly that ... 55

If Ian were on KS he could hook up with Mrs YDK.
That is true. I'm sure she would be fun to be with. Baccy gave lots of great suggestions.