What Was The Reason That First Took You To Thailand

B

beuk

Why I came to LOS the first time. Stopped with uni and started working. Got me some cash and wanted to spend it right away on a trip abroad. Went to a local touroperator and started looking for a trip to either Mexico, India, Vietnam or Thailand. In the end LOS was the winner. Came there did a trip to BKK, CM, HKT and fell in love with the culture, country, food and girls. Since then trying to return every year. Oh first time there was way back in 1995.

Ian Forbes

I've told this story so many times I don't know who I told it to. My ex, and a lady I was madly in love with, left in 1996 when she couldn't live with the fact that her 22 year old son was a druggie and living with us. He was the reason we got together when he was a friend of my son. He was also the reason why she took off and left him with me when he got into drugs and I was trying to help him. Two months later I had to get the cops to get him out of my home. She never forgave me for calling the police. I won't go into all the messy details but suffice to say I was a basket case and it cost me a bundle both emotionally and financially. I was still working at the time and 6 years from retirement. I had to work an extra 3 years to pay for our divorce. However, I did have a lot of holiday time and built up days off from working overtime. A single friend of mine had been going to Thailand for years and told me about it, but I had no interest. I was more interested in fly fishing and traveling to fishing destinations. I had just taken a month long fishing trip to New Zealand in January of 1997 and still had more holiday time when I got back to Canada. Kenny phoned me up from Pattaya and said... quote... "Come to Thailand, Ian, I'll get you laid." Those were his exact words.

I had been celibate for almost a year at that time and said to myself... "Why the hell not?" Prospects for a 60 year old man in Canada are almost zero unless you want somebody else's miserable old cast-off. Thailand and Asia had never even been on my radar, but I booked a ticket to Bangkok where Kenny said he would meet me. I only booked for a 2 week trip because I wanted more holiday time for fishing in British Columbia later in the year. That changed once I got to see Patpong, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy and the bar scene in Pattaya. Need I say more? Yah, I OD'd on you know what. Kenny did me a HUGE favour and it completely changed my life for the better. It's like I have taken a forever young pill. Yes, I have slowed down a bit, but the quality has remained the same. I would never go back to my married life ways. I love my freedom too much. Now I spend 5 months each year in Thailand and 7 months fly fishing in North America and other parts of the globe.

Rockitt

Ian Forbes;74499 said:
I've told this story so many times I don't know who I told it to. My ex, and a lady I was madly in love with, left in 1996 when she couldn't live with the fact that her 22 year old son was a druggie and living with us. He was the reason we got together when he was a friend of my son. He was also the reason why she took off and left him with me when he got into drugs and I was trying to help him. Two months later I had to get the cops to get him out of my home. She never forgave me for calling the police. I won't go into all the messy details but suffice to say I was a basket case and it cost me a bundle both emotionally and financially. I was still working at the time and 6 years from retirement. I had to work an extra 3 years to pay for our divorce. However, I did have a lot of holiday time and built up days off from working overtime. A single friend of mine had been going to Thailand for years and told me about it, but I had no interest. I was more interested in fly fishing and traveling to fishing destinations. I had just taken a month long fishing trip to New Zealand in January of 1997 and still had more holiday time when I got back to Canada. Kenny phoned me up from Pattaya and said... quote... "Come to Thailand, Ian, I'll get you laid." Those were his exact words.

I had been celibate for almost a year at that time and said to myself... "Why the hell not?" Prospects for a 60 year old man in Canada are almost zero unless you want somebody else's miserable old cast-off. Thailand and Asia had never even been on my radar, but I booked a ticket to Bangkok where Kenny said he would meet me. I only booked for a 2 week trip because I wanted more holiday time for fishing in British Columbia later in the year. That changed once I got to see Patpong, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy and the bar scene in Pattaya. Need I say more? Yah, I OD'd on you know what. Kenny did me a HUGE favour and it completely changed my life for the better. It's like I have taken a forever young pill. Yes, I have slowed down a bit, but the quality has remained the same. I would never go back to my married life ways. I love my freedom too much. Now I spend 5 months each year in Thailand and 7 months fly fishing in North America and other parts of the globe.
A great story Ian and I'm sure most of us here would say a very wise move too.

S

Spot

Ned Kelly;77702 said:
your twin arses are super hot!
Where is 2 bums????? (Ned he had 2 better ones on his avatar and I have just recently seen where he got them) haay Rivo did I send that to you or JC1?

No offence DEEEPSSS You have nice 2 bums too... :) 555

S

Spot

giggsy;4971 said:
Careful with this one gentlemen, but what first took you to Thailand. Was it work, a planned holiday or you some how arrived there on route to somewhere else. What were your first impressions and did you have depression when it was time to go home.

Thailand for me was the last stop of a working world trip. I had enough of work in the UK at the grand old age of 19 and embarked on a world trip with a mate. Armed with about 30 countries to stop off at I waltzed in to a travel agent who cut it down to about 9 in order to make a planned route.

Canada, U.S.A, Tahiti, New Zealand, Noumea, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.

Mostly worked in New Zealand (Auckland, Wellington) and in Australia (Sydney area, Brisbane area) with spells in Melbourne and Adelaide also.

When arriving in Thailand had no idea about the place and was told by a travel woman to go on to Pattaya as I would like it there. I asked no questions and just followed orders (this is 1984 mind you). The lady was correct I did like it there.

When ringing my Mother, she asked when will you be home I said I am home. Leaving Thailand at that point and going back to the UK was akin to the electric chair.

Pattaya is not now my preferred choice at all, in fact can't remember when I last went, but in the beginning it was everything the Uk was not.
Just so we don't do Giggsy injustice this is what the thread originally asked and a lot of considered input got its post count up. Cheers all :)

Ian Forbes

I'm pretty lucky living the back and forth life style that I do. I know a bunch of miserable old sods in Canada who are jealous and go all self righteous on me saying I'm some sort of paedophile because I enjoy women in their twenties. And, by the way, these are the same guys who were messing around with other women in Canada while they were still married. Hypocrites all of them. I enjoy Canada too much to leave it entirely, and I get the best of both worlds.

MarcTwoSix

I never been to Asia and i had a friend, Hawk, who had lived in Thailand for 2 years and was an avid diver
He was back living in US but suggested we go to Thailand on a holiday. I went and took the diving classes by my house so that i could then just take my open water dives in Thailand to get certified
I booked all my flights and hotels and then a week before i was supposed to leave, he cancelled due to an emergency.
So after some thought, i decided to go alone.
But i remember ****ting my pants at JFK airport waiting for my flight, then transferring in Hong Kong
I got to BKK at night and to say i was overwhelmed was an understatement.
I didn't know anything about beer bars or bar fining girls. I just did touristy things and went to places like Q Bar at night

Then went down to Patong and a 3 days stay in Phi Phi

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;79738 said:
I never been to Asia and i had a friend, Hawk, who had lived in Thailand for 2 years and was an avid diver
He was back living in US but suggested we go to Thailand on a holiday. I went and took the diving classes by my house so that i could then just take my open water dives in Thailand to get certified
I booked all my flights and hotels and then a week before i was supposed to leave, he cancelled due to an emergency.
So after some thought, i decided to go alone.
But i remember ****ting my pants at JFK airport waiting for my flight, then transferring in Hong Kong
I got to BKK at night and to say i was overwhelmed was an understatement.
I didn't know anything about beer bars or bar fining girls. I just did touristy things and went to places like Q Bar at night

Then went down to Patong and a 3 days stay in Phi Phi
I remember the feeling. I was totally awestruck. Talk about Crocodile Dundee... that was me... green as grass.

Moo Uaon

My first hotel that i stayed at in Patong was on Soi Kebsup opposite the beach. Got in latish and wandered outside and ducked into a massage shop less than 100m away and got the full job from a little cutey. First couple of hours of my first holiday in LOS turned out fairly good 555

YankeeDK

I was writing my Bachelor paper with a friend, and he told me that the year before he had been to Phuket an told me that there are pretty girls everywhere, easily available. I had tried being with a prostitute once or twice but didn't care for it much, so I didn't pay it much attention. While we were writing together he said he wanted to take his family to Thailand again and wanted me to go with him. He's even pay 20% of the trip as a thank you for writing with him. I agreed and in January '12 we were off to Phuket. I had no idea what I was in for and the first time I walked down Bangla Rd I was in awe. The first time I sat at a bar with a girl all over me instantly I was in extacy. I was out of the Matrix :)

Ian Forbes

It is easy to get sucked into the party life in the Thai bar scene. And, if you are young, good looking stud it will be intoxicating. But, after a while it all seems fake and surreal, and you want something more but don't know what it is.

YankeeDK

Ian Forbes;79818 said:
It is easy to get sucked into the party life in the Thai bar scene. And, if you are young, good looking stud it will be intoxicating. But, after a while it all seems fake and surreal, and you want something more but don't know what it is.
We have all met girls to whom it is all fake, but some times you meet someone who either is a really good pretender or actually enjoys spending time with you. To me that happens with about every 5th girl I meet, and those odds are good enough for me :)

I am young and have no desire to settle down now, but I think I will end up one day also wanting something more.

RakThai

YankeeDK;79820 said:
We have all met girls to whom it is all fake, but some times you meet someone who either is a really good pretender or actually enjoys spending time with you. To me that happens with about every 5th girl I meet, and those odds are good enough for me :)

I am young and have no desire to settle down now, but I think I will end up one day also wanting something more.
Honest question..
After going to Thailand at a young age, and getting used to the amount of attention you get... Any desire or hope for a Danish relationship?

YankeeDK

RakThai;79823 said:
Honest question..
After going to Thailand at a young age, and getting used to the amount of attention you get... Any desire or hope for a Danish relationship?
I seriously doubt it. I am too deep in the rabbit hole. I have gone on a few dates the last year, and none of them ended well. The last date was between my last 2 trips, and I told myself that this was my last chance. I am not going to try anymore. But at the same time I don't see any hope (or desire) for a Thai relationship either. At least not now.

YankeeDK

RakThai;79827 said:
Wish you had taken the blue pill (in your Matrix analogy..)?
I have been thinking that some times. Especially when the LOS blues were brutal but no. I've never really felt happy with the choices I have made in life that has put me where I am today, but now I can at least feel happy a few times every year. Don't get me wrong. I am not unhappy back home, I am simply just content and in comparison to my visits to LOS that some times feel a bit like unhappiness :)