Where are all the soi dogs??

MarcTwoSix

I've now been to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Krabi and I have probably seen 10 soi dogs total all trip...

Do you think a campaign to neuter them has actually worked?.

Plenty of cats everywhere though......

Faz

What campaign?
Other than the Soi dog foundation, I'm not familiar with any other organisation rounding up and freely neutering animals.

Cats in our village are scarce, because the soi dogs kill and eat them given the chance.
Many 'soi dogs' as such, actually have an owner that just doesn't care for or regularly feed them, so they are left to forage for their own food supply.

MarcTwoSix

What campaign?
Other than the Soi dog foundation, I'm not familiar with any other organisation rounding up and freely neutering animals.

Cats in our village are scarce, because the soi dogs kill and eat them given the chance.
Many 'soi dogs' as such, actually have an owner that just doesn't care for or regularly feed them, so they are left to forage for their own food supply.
I guess I was asking if there was a campaign to neuter them.....

Because it certainly seems like there is a lot less

kaptainrob

Administrator
They send them to a southern abattoir and the meat is sold as beef usually in a curry or red sauce to disguise the flavour 😎

Our mooban instigated a neutering program some years ago and eventually had a large pack of dogs removed to parts unknown. Idiots working in the restaurant had been feeding the strays with scraps for years which only encouraged growth of the pack. Same happens in most Wats.

Faz

I guess I was asking if there was a campaign to neuter them.....

Because it certainly seems like there is a lot less
I recall some years ago a member of the Royal family suggesting such a campaign, but that was as far as it proceeded.
I expect there is a rounding up of soi dogs from time to time in the more 'touristy' spots of Thailand.
In rural areas, plenty of dogs still roaming around.
Most are actually quite timid and frightened by human contact.
Their bark or growling isn't aggressive in nature, it's born of fear and to keep your distance.
We tend to see at least one dog killed by the side of the road each time we go to the old family village house.

There is a house come motorcycle repair garage 100 metres from our house who owned 2 dogs.
3 months ago they just uprooted and left, leaving the 2 dogs behind.
They're really friendly dogs and love human company.
One of the villagers forced the garage door, so the dogs can take shelter inside from the elements, and a local food seller feeds them every night.
A lot of Thais like to have a dog, unfortunately very few take responsibility for really caring for them.

bacwaan

On Samui there are at least 3 Foundations that care for soi dogs and cats...they all have neutering, feeding and re-homing programs.....
one of those is run by a good friend of mine from Ireland who dedicates his whole life to caring for dogs....and he has loads of helpers who have come on board...they are up bright and early to prepare the food, then head out to the jungle to feed hundreds of dogs, have deals with local vets to do the neutering and have found new homes for hundreds of dogs all around the world... He gets his funding from loads of donations plus hits on his FB Site....Niall Harbison is his name...check him out
I should take you to visit him next time we are on the island together

OZZYGUY

I sort of remember a long time ago in CM they were going to shoot them, think a note went out saying if you have a dog keep it inside on a particular date at night.

Would have been 10 years ago or longer don't know if it actually happened or just BG talk.

MarcTwoSix

I sort of remember a long time ago in CM they were going to shoot them, think a note went out saying if you have a dog keep it inside on a particular date at night.

Would have been 10 years ago or longer don't know if it actually happened or just BG talk.
Well that's why they said Kamala is relatively soi dog free

I know in Hua Hin they ship them up to the mountain
Hundreds of them up there and saw one guy that feeds them every day

When I get back I need to tell my brilliant financial advisor friend he's gonna have to make good money in a small fund set aside so I can feed a bunch when retired. 😀

Bacon

Administrator
The Canadian YouTuber Joe Blair has a circuit and sometimes films it when he's out feeding dogs on Samui.

Quarky

Maybe a retirement plan Paulie? You'd be based out in the country... going into the city to snatch/rescue soi dogs off the street... and provide a refuge for them? Be a wonderful story... like Born Free...

MarcTwoSix

Well plenty of street dogs in the village but don't think they are full-on Soi Dogs

I think they mostly belong to families and they do look after them

Then got me thinking my dog is home laying on a $400 bed!! And eats sushi

We farangs can be such assholes with our dogs 5555

MarcTwoSix

^ Probably has allergies too.
Haha

Last night the Aunt made ribs

They all would just chuck the bones over to the two dogs they have

All I was thinking was if I gave Quincy a bone he'd paint my whole house with diahree!!!