Where dreams go to die - a Farang deaths in Thailand website

Ian Forbes

meese;346672 said:
a lot of farangs of low standing seem to find there way to thailand and end up living in a room with a fan...and when the money truely runs out...pride often gets in the way
this song really sums it for me
It's funny, I totally remember the melody to that song, but never paid much attention to the lyrics... until you just posted them. Having spent considerable time in Thailand I can see where it would be appropriate for many here.

Of course, the "no-hopers" were going to be the same wherever they chose to live.

Z

Zablive

PeteGill;346678 said:
Can't you recognise sarcasm 555
That's your default response when you get challenged, instead of answering the question.

However, it has long been said that " Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit".
That of course presumes a person is witty to start with.
You PG have shown no evidence of that.

Better for you to stick to defending "Uncle Bob" on destroying Rhodesia's farm economy.555!
He'll be gone soon.

Z

Zablive

Not that there is anything wrong with that - getting old is universal, if you dodge the alternative (not DP's fantasy.
You are well down that path - no need to be ageist.

I love it every time I expose someone's logic that they revert to "sad" (55555!) and "old".

PeteGill

Really stupid debate, so I would rather just delete what I have said...

Zab can now declare himself the winner...

supersub

There was one recently in Patong and the Police said he died because of the cold. The man was Norwegian.

Ian Forbes

supersub;346708 said:
There was one recently in Patong and the Police said he died because of the cold. The man was Norwegian.
Nothing wrong with dying if you have nothing left to live for. None of us are going to get out alive. And, if it is your time to go then no amount of praying or money is going to save you.

My mother moved my father out of his home, that he had lived in for 30+ years, and into an "old folks home"... which is basically an expensive private hospital where everyone has their own room... and waits to die. Mother loved it and father hated it. He just stopped eating and within a year he was dead. Had he stayed in his own home he would have lived a few more years. When I saw his corpse there was nothing left but some skin on a skeleton. It's amazing that he lasted as long as he did. I wouldn't even have recognized him had the nurse not said he was my father.

supersub

Ian Forbes;346711 said:
Nothing wrong with dying if you have nothing left to live for. None of us are going to get out alive. And, if it is your time to go then no amount of praying or money is going to save you.

My mother moved my father out of his home, that he had lived in for 30+ years, and into an "old folks home"... which is basically an expensive private hospital where everyone has their own room... and waits to die. Mother loved it and father hated it. He just stopped eating and within a year he was dead. Had he stayed in his own home he would have lived a few more years. When I saw his corpse there was nothing left but some skin on a skeleton. It's amazing that he lasted as long as he did. I wouldn't even have recognized him had the nurse not said he was my father.
That's sad to read. Did he absolutely need to be in a care home or was it more a case of just not wanting the hassle to look after him at home? That's become a bit of a problem in the UK. I come from an Asian background and what I see is a lot more focus on taking care of the previous generation at home, with a focus on keeping the family together. Obviously if there is a valid medical reason for needing to be put in a care home that's different.

You are right though. When your number is up it's up. But whilst you're on the ride you try to make it as enjoyable ride as possible, and hope that when the ride gets bumpy, your family will do their best to make it as smooth as possible for you.

Back to my post though. I'm pretty sure the guy was poisoned or murdered in some way. I thought the RTP comment that he probably died of cold was laughable considering he was probably used to living in far colder conditions that Thailand will produce.

I think farangs get murdered quite often here by locals. But this is LOS and things happen. Mai bpen rai... Small price to pay for living in tropical weather and being able to bang tight bodied young hotties. I'd bet that as most of the time the farang is getting on in age and most likely not surrounded by his own family so there are not many cases where his family would challenge it. Occasionally said locals murder a young farang and there more media attention. But the police usually manage to clear that up too. T^T Mai bpen rai.

There was a time where after every trip I couldn't bear to go home and wanted to live here. The more often I came though, and the more I read, I understood there is a dark underbelly to this lovely country and you should go out of your way to ensure you don't end up in dodgy scenario. Now I still look forward to coming, but I enjoy my 2-3 weeks, bang a couple of 10 girls and get back to reality.

I digressed a bit there ahah

Moo Uaon

Ian Forbes;346711 said:

Just out of interest... do you have arrangements made for if you drop off the perch in LOS? Which is quite possible considering all the accidents and time in the hospitals there 55

Travel insurance?
Thai will for all your possessions there.. bike etc Money and funeral arrangements or repatriation etc etc

MarcTwoSix

supersub;346722 said:
That's sad to read. Did he absolutely need to be in a care home or was it more a case of just not wanting the hassle to look after him at home? That's become a bit of a problem in the UK. I come from an Asian background and what I see is a lot more focus on taking care of the previous generation at home, with a focus on keeping the family together. Obviously if there is a valid medical reason for needing to be put in a care home that's different.
It sounds like Ian's parents may have moved to an Assisted Living facility which are great if you want to socialize
Some do, some don't

obes

Moo Uaon;346723 said:
Just out of interest... do you have arrangements made for if you drop off the perch in LOS?
Not to make light of it, but also, how would you get word to your mates here ?

Always wondered how we'd know if a fellow BM passed - other than not hearing anything and simply assuming...........................

Moo Uaon

obes;346725 said:
Not to make light of it, but also, how would you get word to your mates here ?

Always wondered how we'd know if a fellow BM passed - other than not hearing anything and simply assuming...........................
Bad news travels fast.
In my case I've got plenty of mates around the country.... contacts from your phone etc
Also on the funeral plan at our moo baan and have a Thai will so those corrupt officials don't pocket the money from my bank account or proceeds from car and bike sales etc

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;346723 said:
Just out of interest... do you have arrangements made for if you drop off the perch in LOS? Which is quite possible considering all the accidents and time in the hospitals there 55

Travel insurance?
Thai will for all your possessions there.. bike etc Money and funeral arrangements or repatriation etc etc
Yes I do, and I even have a will written up to take care of what stuff I have here in Thailand. Of course, I can't account for thieves messing with my body.

Z

Zablive

A big issue is who is allowed to claim your body if you are not legally married - the string ceremony doesn't cut it.
If you haven't made written arrangements it will have to be a near relative ...

Moo Uaon

Ian Forbes;346732 said:
Yes I do, and I even have a will written up to take care of what stuff I have here in Thailand. Of course, I can't account for thieves messing with my body.
You've made it out to a Thai?
Not the girl that's gravely ill?

Tingtong

The first place people look is the mobile phone contacts list in case of emergency . This thread has made me think of putting "In case of emergency" in my phone list with one of my family's numbers with it . probably my Brother.

Z

Zablive

Tingtong;346736 said:
The first place people look is the mobile phone contacts list in case of emergency . This thread has made me think of putting "In case of emergency" in my phone list with one of my family's numbers with it . probably my Brother.
"I.C.E." should be universally recognized these days.

Ian Forbes

Moo Uaon;346734 said:
You've made it out to a Thai?
Not the girl that's gravely ill?
Yes, to a long time friend who owns a business, and is married to an American. She is the one who has looked after all my stuff for the past 15 years when I go back to Canada.