Where to stay?

Alfie

Hello, I’m planning a trip for July, and as I said elsewhere I’m needing advice on where to go and where to stay as it’s been 8 years since my last visit.

It’ll be myself and 18yo daughter. The plan is five days in Nakhon Phanom so she can visit relatives, then down to Phuket for a week or so to relax.

First off, what resort?
Kamala looks decent and a short trip to Patong, if only for a night out.
Patong, maybe too busy nowadays, or maybe not in July?
Karon I’ve only driven through and I remember it being small, probably too quiet.

I’m planning on a few days out, like an island tour as my daughter has never done the Big Buddha/Rawai thing, and a boat tour depending on the weather.

Also what hotel? It’ll be two separate rooms so I’m hoping to keep costs reasonable, no Marriot or Intercontinentals, but decent with a good pool is a preference.
Years ago when we stayed in Patong we used to stay at the Salathai (now gone) when I was solo, or Thara Patong with the kids.

Any recommendations welcome!

Quarky

Marc26 was there not long ago... and included in his Trip Report... might be useful?

bacwaan

Kamala is a great place for families...still has a nice village feel to it...Sun Wing is a good well priced family hotel with a large pool right on the beach and just a few steps to the restaurants and bars...

You do know it's peak wet season in Phuket in July?....doesn't mean it will rain all the time or even every day...but it can...

kaptainrob

Administrator
Plenty of choice in Kamala, Sunwing or Sunprime are large side by side resorts and there's smaller less expensive accomodation on the beach or nearby.

MarcTwoSix

Without a doubt Kamala and stay at Sunprime
Right on the beach and they have a free shuttle to Patong a couple times a day

Kamala is great

You can go down and have some drinks at the strip of bars and restaurants and your daughter would be totally fine walking around herself if she wanted to do her own thing

It really is the best setup for someone with a daughter that age that may want to chill or do her own thing

You will never be more than a 10min walk away

They have a popular beach club as well, that would have people her age or close to

Moo Uaon

A friend of mine stayed at the Kee hotel down the end of soi sea dragon off Bangla and liked it.

It's right in the middle of things but July will be quiet.

Alfie

Kamala is a great place for families...still has a nice village feel to it...Sun Wing is a good well priced family hotel with a large pool right on the beach and just a few steps to the restaurants and bars...

You do know it's peak wet season in Phuket in July?....doesn't mean it will rain all the time or even every day...but it can...
Yeah I’ve been in June before so I have an idea of what to expect weather wise.

Im coming from a cold wet country, if the sun doesn’t shine having warm rain will still be a pleasant change.

Alfie

Without a doubt Kamala and stay at Sunprime
Right on the beach and they have a free shuttle to Patong a couple times a day

Kamala is great

You can go down and have some drinks at the strip of bars and restaurants and your daughter would be totally fine walking around herself if she wanted to do her own thing

It really is the best setup for someone with a daughter that age that may want to chill or do her own thing

You will never be more than a 10min walk away

They have a popular beach club as well, that would have people her age or close to
Sounds good thanks.

My daughter is typically Thai, when I told her we were going I was saying sunshine/beaches/boat tours/water parks, her only interest was the food 55.

Alfie

A friend of mine stayed at the Kee hotel down the end of soi sea dragon off Bangla and liked it.

It's right in the middle of things but July will be quiet.
I’ve walked past it loads of times years ago, it looks nice but too close to Bangla for me.

Nauts

From what i see, the best hotel at Patong now seems to be the Four Points by Sheraton Phuket Patong Beach Resort , it's at the other end, close to Kamala.

Alfie

Just arrived at Sunprime and it looks great. Do any current or old BM’s drink anywhere in particular in Kamala, or even Patong as I plan on heading through one night?

Any tips of where to eat are welcome too!