Why Are You Living In

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Why are you living were you are?

I currently live in Perth because my parents are still alive and I believe my 17 year old son is too young for me to move away.
I was offed a transfer to a job in Sydney a few days ago but turned it down for this reason.

But the time is ticking away, its getting closer to the day I pack up and move on, plus things are changing with my work situation and its got me thinking to much.


So for the guys living in Thailand why did you make that choice to move?

Or anyone else for that matter why do you live were you do?
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
my Dad is 81 and I have other family and friends here , but it's a great place to live anyway , relatively low taxation, only a few mins away from a beach in any direction, gets a bit cold and wet during the winter , but that's what Thailand is for ...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Funny Ao and I have been having this discussion lately

I know she'd rather live in Boston or Thailand

And honestly if I could get the same job in Boston, I'd move tomorrow

But I have one of the best situations you could ever have for a job
A) In my network, I am the only one looking for Canadian business while they all compete for US business

I do whatever I want
This week I am in NYC and Tampa FL
And all I am doing is going out to dinner with clients and some parties
And that is considered work. It's an 11 day holiday

So even though I'd move back to Boston I still love living in Vancouver

But maybe if I bring in a couple more big accounts I've been working on i can strike a deal where I work from home in Boston half the year or something
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Stillearly;418274 said:
my Dad is 81 and I have other family and friends here , but it's a great place to live anyway , relatively low taxation, only a few mins away from a beach in any direction, gets a bit cold and wet during the winter , but that's what Thailand is for ...
I would never have left Boston or NYC if my mom was still alive

There wouldn't even have been a thought of moving anywhere farther than NYC
 

Dupree

Well-known member
I like where I live 10 miles north of Frisco. Great food, hiking, weather, entertainment. But the last five years the traffic growth in cutting into my quality of life. I'll stay here until I leave my job. The property taxes would be expensive with no income. Plus my best friend and his wife just retired. And are looking to relocate. When they leave my social life will be nil. All my family is in New York state. except for my brother who settled in Nashville ten years ago. My sister just retired and is looking to move to Nashville now. I suppose if I get lonely I could move there. And use it as a base while traveling the globe.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ there's a joint on soi Honey with your named written all over it...555

Its a good question though and one I have been mulling over myself quite a bit lately....

I will clock up 11 years here in LoS next songkran....it has been and remains a great place to live but a niggling part of me says get out and explore some more..whilst you still can...I ain't getting any younger

I came for the weather, beaches, scuba diving and partying....had almost 3 years in kamala, phuket then decided it was getting a little busy over there and that samui suited me better...I have built a pretty good life here over the last 8-ish years...got a good relaxed mix going on with a great beach life, long lunches, swimming in the ocean and or pool pretty much every day, a bunch of good friends whose company I enjoy, a modest, relatively inexpensive, nice little house with a pool shared between 7 of us (houses), there is a bit of work thrown in here and there and a party going on somehwere here whenever I want to venture out..which ain't that often these days really, about 2-3 times a month is all..I just can't take the hangovers anymore and TBH being in the girlie bars bores me... I rarely go into one these days, much prefer the bars for sports etc, catching up with my local mates and having some good craic over a few beers, but if I do its for the one purpose only....I just can't be arsed with the games anymore so i have a few numbers in the phone if required...got a friend who owns her own massage shop as well and we do lunches, dinners, movies, the odd night out together and she enjoys coming over to stay...its a bit of a holiday for her away from running the shop

But as I said there is a part of me nagging to break away atm....if do it will be somewhere nearby, probably The PI around Cebu/Bohol/Siquijor/Dumaguette etc, for a chunk of the year, some of it here and up in BKK, some in Cambo, Vietnam and Myanmar, possibly even sometime in laos and a bit more back at home in Sydney with maybe some time spent up around where I grew up in the Lake Macquarie/Newcastle area north of sydney

who knows...just getting that 7-8 year itch atm and would like to cut free again....the Thailand Govt's obvious moves to make us expats feel less comfortable and make life more difficult here isn't helping the situation for me either..and I have no family or real ties here that I can't pick up again with a couple of visits back every year....so just thinking out loud...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Funny
This got me thinking and I could almost probably tell my boss I want to work from home in Boston 4 months of the year

I told Ao and although she'd love to, she rattled off about 5 things logistically that would be a pain in the ass

Where my dumb ass didn't even think of 555
 

RakThai

Well-known member
bacwaan;418286 said:
^ there's a joint on soi Honey with your named written all over it...555

Its a good question though and one I have been mulling over myself quite a bit lately....

I will clock up 11 years here in LoS next songkran....it has been and remains a great place to live but a niggling part of me says get out and explore some more..whilst you still can...I ain't getting any younger

I came for the weather, beaches, scuba diving and partying....had almost 3 years in kamala, phuket then decided it was getting a little busy over there and that samui suited me better...I have built a pretty good life here over the last 8-ish years...got a good relaxed mix going on with a great beach life, long lunches, swimming in the ocean and or pool pretty much every day, a bunch of good friends whose company I enjoy, a modest, relatively inexpensive, nice little house with a pool shared between 7 of us (houses), there is a bit of work thrown in here and there and a party going on somehwere here whenever I want to venture out..which ain't that often these days really, about 2-3 times a month is all..I just can't take the hangovers anymore and TBH being in the girlie bars bores me... I rarely go into one these days, much prefer the bars for sports etc, catching up with my local mates and having some good craic over a few beers, but if I do its for the one purpose only....I just can't be arsed with the games anymore so i have a few numbers in the phone if required...got a friend who owns her own massage shop as well and we do lunches, dinners, movies, the odd night out together and she enjoys coming over to stay...its a bit of a holiday for her away from running the shop

But as I said there is a part of me nagging to break away atm....if do it will be somewhere nearby, probably The PI around Cebu/Bohol/Siquijor/Dumaguette etc, for a chunk of the year, some of it here and up in BKK, some in Cambo, Vietnam and Myanmar, possibly even sometime in laos and a bit more back at home in Sydney with maybe some time spent up around where I grew up in the Lake Macquarie/Newcastle area north of sydney

who knows...just getting that 7-8 year itch atm and would like to cut free again....the Thailand Govt's obvious moves to make us expats feel less comfortable and make life more difficult here isn't helping the situation for me either..and I have no family or real ties here that I can't pick up again with a couple of visits back every year....so just thinking out loud...
If in doubt, move while you can!

Just answering out loud.. 555
 

Ian Forbes

New member
OZZYGUY;418272 said:
Why are you living were you are?

I currently live in Perth because my parents are still alive and I believe my 17 year old son is too young for me to move away.
I was offed a transfer to a job in Sydney a few days ago but turned it down for this reason.

But the time is ticking away, its getting closer to the day I pack up and move on, plus things are changing with my work situation and its got me thinking to much.


So for the guys living in Thailand why did you make that choice to move?

Or anyone else for that matter why do you live were you do?
Originally, I made most of my decisions based around being as close to good fishing as possible while having a career that provided it. Then came marriage and family. That always complicates matters. After that it is always a compromise. Now that I'm retired I can pretty much choose anywhere I want to live... BUT. And, that is a very BIG BUT. Although I'm no longer married, I do have a daughter and son and 3 grandkids that I'm close to and want them to be a part of my life. I'm away from them enough as it is by being in Thailand for most of the winter. And, at my age I do have health issues that have to be paid attention to. Medical is covered while I'm in Canada. In Thailand I just pay out of pocket. When you ride a motorbike as much as I do then you do frequent hospitals on a regular basis.

If push comes to shove then it will be Thailand that I give up first. When I eventually have to give up Thailand it will be a very sad day for me. I would have to give up my home as well... and just wait for death.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;418286 said:
But as I said there is a part of me nagging to break away atm....if do it will be somewhere nearby, probably The PI around Cebu/Bohol/Siquijor/Dumaguette etc,

.
Nels why PI?

Im actually doing that extract areas in December and will be looking around a bit to see if its a place I could live.

Funny thou, my wife likes CM and we both have a group of friends in CM. Issue with CM is schooling, international school is out of my reach as far as cost.
 

Bacon

Administrator
I've wanted to get away from Perth for a long time, but these days I don't mind it. The city has changed a lot. Lots of trendy bars and cafes, immaculate weather most of the year, clean fresh air, some of the best beaches you could ever want within 5 minutes, and plus immediate family and friends.

So I've really come to appreciate home, but the trouble is expenses.

I've recently started studying again, going back to tech. I'm trying to get some industry recognition as a cloud architect and see if that opens up any doors to remote work. If I could live away 6 months of the year I'd be winning.

I sat down and did the math and it's crazy how much you spend just to be able to work. Out of a 5 day week almost all of my first day goes towards expenses around transport and work related expenditure. The government takes close to two days income and the fourth goes towards living expenses. By the time everything is paid for, I'm lucky to keep a day's income for myself. A lot of this just wouldn't be there working in a little quiet place a few months a year. I could afford to make less and have more.
 

Rivo

New member
OZZYGUY;418272 said:
Why are you living were you are?


So for the guys living in Thailand why did you make that choice to move?

Most here know how I ended up living in Thailand, we built our house here in Chiang Rai in 2015 and for me it was more of a holiday home/base in Thailand for when I used to come my regular holidays.............................things changed early this year when I refused to accept a salary cut from my Employer, so I quit and sold most of my assets in Perth Australia to fund my early retirement................I had intended to work until about 60 before I made the move.


After living in Thailand for 6 x months I have no regrets, I honestly dont know where the weeks go, I live about 70km from Chiang Rai city so I dont get stuck in the bars everynight 555..............I still enjoy the bar scene and I get to town for a night or two most weeks, I stay at a hotel @350 baht for the night, and can walk to the bars/restaurants etc and not worry about drink driving/riding. Every few weeks there seems to be some motorcycle rides going on which I enjoy, I am lucky Paer wants to go to her family farm every couple of weeks and I get my freedom 555


I still call Perth home, its a great city and ive got some great friends and my family still there, like bacon mentioned the cost of living has got out of control IMO................I could not afford to retire in Perth at my age, maybe if I changed my lifestyle I could, too busy having fun in Thailand to do that at the moment 555...............................worst case scenario I could return to Australia and get a job again, thats not on my radar atm
 

Rivo

New member
Rivo;418305 said:
Most here know how I ended up living in Thailand, we built our house here in Chiang Rai in 2015 and for me it was more of a holiday home/base in Thailand for when I used to come my regular holidays.............................

And now its my home, after getting up for work @ 430/5am most days for 35 x years its great to have no alarm clock 555.........................except for sometimes in town I now have to set my alarm to get up for an 830am brekky 555


Also its awesome to wake up and look out my bedroom window at home, and see this view.....................





 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Rivo;418305 said:
I still call Perth home, its a great city and ive got some great friends and my family still there, like bacon mentioned the cost of living has got out of control IMO................I could not afford to retire in Perth at my age, maybe if I changed my lifestyle I could, too busy having fun in Thailand to do that at the moment 555...............................worst case scenario I could return to Australia and get a job again, thats not on my radar atm
Bacon;418304 said:
I sat down and did the math and it's crazy how much you spend just to be able to work. Out of a 5 day week almost all of my first day goes towards expenses around transport and work related expenditure. The government takes close to two days income and the fourth goes towards living expenses. By the time everything is paid for, I'm lucky to keep a day's income for myself. A lot of this just wouldn't be there working in a little quiet place a few months a year. I could afford to make less and have more.
I got another 8 years to I can get my supa and if in Aust I need to work to then. In Jan it is a good chance my job will be finished and we just had some big changes and they wanted me to go to Sydney to work. I wont move to Sydney. Wife finishes work in November so both could be without a job.

I sort of feel at the moment Im just working to live, passing the time until I can get into my supa. The thing is if I did what young Rivo did Im still young to enjoy myself.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Rivo;418307 said:
And now its my home, after getting up for work @ 430/5am most days for 35 x years its great to have no alarm clock 555.........................except for sometimes in town I now have to set my alarm to get up for an 830am brekky 555


Also its awesome to wake up and look out my bedroom window at home, and see this view.....................





You are not making things any easier for me.........555
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Rivo;418310 said:
Your view from your balcony in Mandurah aint too shabby either Ash 555
Yeah but I got to work and I dont get to ride bikes around the north of Thailand....55
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
OZZYGUY;418300 said:
Nels why PI?

Im actually doing that extract areas in December and will be looking around a bit to see if its a place I could live.

Funny thou, my wife likes CM and we both have a group of friends in CM. Issue with CM is schooling, international school is out of my reach as far as cost.
a couple of reasons here Ash...

i like that part of the world...it has incredible natural beauty and is still relatively "wild" and natural... it kinda reminds me of what LoS used to be before the development of now..plus its easy to get about and lead a relatively nomadic life in this part of the world, buses and ferries are as cheap as chips and relatively modern/safe and accommodation can be inexpensive if you find the right place, same goes for rrestaurants and partying (not that there is P4P where I am thinking of settling)....it doesn't hurt that we get almost double for a $AUS with the PI Peso than we do with the baht...

at this stage I will apply for another year's "permission to stay" next march and after that I will be doing a few reccies around the region..but this part of the world is the one I have my eyes on to settle down in but still move around in a bit...
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;418318 said:
a couple of reasons here Ash...

i like that part of the world...it has incredible natural beauty and is still relatively "wild" and natural... it kinda reminds me of what LoS used to be before the development of now..plus its easy to get about and lead a relatively nomadic life in this part of the world, buses and ferries are as cheap as chips and relatively modern/safe and accommodation can be inexpensive if you find the right place, same goes for rrestaurants and partying (not that there is P4P where I am thinking of settling)....it doesn't hurt that we get almost double for a $AUS with the PI Peso than we do with the baht...

at this stage I will apply for another year's "permission to stay" next march and after that I will be doing a few reccies around the region..but this part of the world is the one I have my eyes on to settle down in but still move around in a bit...
I would have to agree with the natural beauty. Im going to spend a fair bit of time looking around Negros this trip. Canlaon Mountain looks interesting to me.

The thing is with Negros its easy to put the scoot or car on a boat near Dumaguete and its a short trip over to the south end of Cebu. Hopefully soon they will build the planned bridge. Im thinking of riding the scoot with the wife from Cebu and do a round the island trip of Negros over about a week.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
I really like Dumaguete Town...it has a nice vibe to it and is quite "green' by PI standards....I think the slower pace with the University as its centre and harbourside walk would suit me well as a place to settle down for a bit...i too will be exploring that northern tip of negros next time out, as you say its just a quick trip over to southern cebu on the ferry...I'd love to find a nice little beachside village within say 20-30 mins of the town centre...
 
Top