Why Are You Living In

Buksida

Member
People sometimes ask me for advice on where to live in Thailand as they know I have lived in so many different provinces. All I can do is tell them is what I have seen work best for other people:

1. Live in Amphur Muang of whatever province you select. There will be more restaurants, bars, shebeens, schools, workshops, stores etc etc. I've seen too many "village people" go troppo. Distance driven and longevity are inversely proportional in Thailand.

2. Live where there is an airport. Over time you will find many advantages in that.

3. Never live in the same province as your in-laws - not even in an adjoining one if at all possible.

4. Some sort of scenery is nice over a long period. This kind of narrows it down to the North or the South, which is unfortunate as Isaan people are the most fun to live around.

5. I'm wary of places where tourism is the main industry. It becomes an abnormal Thai social situation due to the Thai carpetbaggers and so many farang lowlifes behaving in a way they never would in their hometowns. The cost of living is also higher.

I have never garnered much popularity giving advice like that.
 

Rivo

New member
^ Some wise words Buksida :cool:.............................where do you call home now ?..................................I especially agree with #3
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;418338 said:
I'd love to find a nice little beachside village within say 20-30 mins of the town centre...
For me mountains are important and just out of Dumaguete its 1600m high, same as CM. Canlaon Mountain is 1000m higher.

I will look for a nice beach town for you in Dec-Jan
 

Ian Forbes

New member
Buksida;418346 said:
People sometimes ask me for advice on where to live in Thailand as they know I have lived in so many different provinces. All I can do is tell them is what I have seen work best for other people:

1. Live in Amphur Muang of whatever province you select. There will be more restaurants, bars, shebeens, schools, workshops, stores etc etc. I've seen too many "village people" go troppo. Distance driven and longevity are inversely proportional in Thailand.

2. Live where there is an airport. Over time you will find many advantages in that.

3. Never live in the same province as your in-laws - not even in an adjoining one if at all possible.

4. Some sort of scenery is nice over a long period. This kind of narrows it down to the North or the South, which is unfortunate as Isaan people are the most fun to live around.

5. I'm wary of places where tourism is the main industry. It becomes an abnormal Thai social situation due to the Thai carpetbaggers and so many farang lowlifes behaving in a way they never would in their hometowns. The cost of living is also higher.

I have never garnered much popularity giving advice like that.
Good advice, Burksida. I would add just one more suggestion if you plan on living there... And, that could apply to just about any location in any country. There are valid reasons why people take holidays.

Visit for at least one month during the worst season... it varies depending on the location. Smoky season isn't much fun in Chiang Mai. Stormy season isn't much fun in the beach areas.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
OZZYGUY;418351 said:
For me mountains are important and just out of Dumaguete its 1600m high, same as CM. Canlaon Mountain is 1000m higher.

I will look for a nice beach town for you in Dec-Jan
The problem with the "little beach towns" is most are growing too quickly for their surroundings, or what they can provide. Okay for holidays but lacking in the amenities... good water, sewerage and hospitals etc. Like you, I'm more of a mountain person, and Chiang Mai gives me lots of options where I don't get bored. I just wish that the Thai highways department would FIX THE FUCKING HIGHWAY 118! What an unbelievable mess that is for what is supposed to be a major highway.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
I wonder what the % of expats(anywhere) end up back home, at some point?

Even if it's 10-15-20yrs down the road....
 

Rivo

New member
MarcTwoSix;418428 said:
I wonder what the % of expats(anywhere) end up back home, at some point?

Even if it's 10-15-20yrs down the road....

23%



















Actually I have no idea :grinner:..........................................but over the years there would be alot that return to their home countries or another country for many reasons, their health would probably be one of the main reasons............................Thailand seems to be helping their Expats make that decision quicker than they had planned with all these new laws and costs they are introducing gogogogogogo
 

retdent

New member
No. 3 works for me. Fortunately, I have never had a problem with the family, they never come unless invited. An uncle grows veggies in half the garden, saves me (or Noi) doing the work. It pays to be an a8hole sometimes,55.

Additionally to what Ian said, try for more than a year in the same place if you like it. I stayed 2 years before I decided that I could live there; the weather was great and then it changed, cloudy for five months (May-Oct) just about ever since. Weather changes!

Even though I thought that I would be here until the end, that has now changed to 50%+AU> and 50%- Th.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;418428 said:
I wonder what the % of expats(anywhere) end up back home, at some point?

Even if it's 10-15-20yrs down the road....
My FIL is currently building his house in Fox Island in the USA. He has lived in all parts of Asia most his working life and now in his 70's. Its getting time to move back home to the USA.



I think as we get to the age of needing good medical moveing home just makes a lot of sence.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Buksida;418346 said:
People sometimes ask me for advice on where to live in Thailand as they know I have lived in so many different provinces. All I can do is tell them is what I have seen work best for other people:

1. Live in Amphur Muang of whatever province you select. There will be more restaurants, bars, shebeens, schools, workshops, stores etc etc. I've seen too many "village people" go troppo. Distance driven and longevity are inversely proportional in Thailand.

2. Live where there is an airport. Over time you will find many advantages in that.

3. Never live in the same province as your in-laws - not even in an adjoining one if at all possible.

4. Some sort of scenery is nice over a long period. This kind of narrows it down to the North or the South, which is unfortunate as Isaan people are the most fun to live around.

5. I'm wary of places where tourism is the main industry. It becomes an abnormal Thai social situation due to the Thai carpetbaggers and so many farang lowlifes behaving in a way they never would in their hometowns. The cost of living is also higher.

I have never garnered much popularity giving advice like that.
One thing I would add, and its just my thoughts I know not everyone wouldnt agree.

Leave your money in your home country and invest. Rent a place and you can move whenever you want, plus rent is cheap. Sure some will want to buy a place but wait to you been around a fair time.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ a simple rule i have always lived by here..don't invest more in Thailand than you are willing to walk away from if need be...we are only ever here at someone else's discretion...and things can spin on a dime anytime..
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;418470 said:
^ a simple rule i have always lived by here..don't invest more in Thailand than you are willing to walk away from if need be...we are only ever here at someone else's discretion...and things can spin on a dime anytime..
On that note Nels and with your comment about moving, never buy in PI. (in saying that but I may do it one day...55) Trying to get out of a property is very hard and takes a long time. The locals have this stupid thing that they want vendor finance.
 

retdent

New member
OZZYGUY;418471 said:
On that note Nels and with your comment about moving, never buy in PI. (in saying that but I may do it one day...55) Trying to get out of a property is very hard and takes a long time. The locals have this stupid thing that they want vendor finance.
Something is better than nothing but considering the risk and hassle maybe better to just give it to someone that you like.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
retdent;418433 said:
No. 3 works for me. Fortunately, I have never had a problem with the family, they never come unless invited. An uncle grows veggies in half the garden, saves me (or Noi) doing the work. It pays to be an a8hole sometimes,55.

Additionally to what Ian said, try for more than a year in the same place if you like it. I stayed 2 years before I decided that I could live there; the weather was great and then it changed, cloudy for five months (May-Oct) just about ever since. Weather changes!

Even though I thought that I would be here until the end, that has now changed to 50%+AU> and 50%- Th.
My wife wants to buy land right next to her aunt, who I love like a sister

But have no desire to have a house right next to them
10-15min drive ok
But right next to them, all their problems of the day are your problems

And I told her, and she knows, I'd never live next to my siblings!

And I'd have zero problem saying the same to her Aunt(or to the face of my siblings)

This is the God's honest truth
If we moved back to Boston I would have to sit my sister down and give her guidelines on her visits and our visits
Because if I didn't she'd expect us to be around or be with us 24/7
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
retdent;418476 said:
Something is better than nothing but considering the risk and hassle maybe better to just give it to someone that you like.
yep..agree..if you build something here (LoS) it should be intended as a gift to your wife so she has a home if something happens to you or in the event that your marriage breaks down, a form of settlement....there is absolutely no reason for me as a single guy to buy/invest here..but I totally get it for the likes of you and Rivo who want to put down roots here with a loving partner

as for buying/investing in The PI....ain't a stone motherless chance of that ever happening on my account..however once again if Ash wants something for him and his family there that's totally reasonable..I'd say still keep it modest but comfortable as you still have to be able to walk (or be carried in a box) away from it if need be..55
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;418511 said:
and or move in and never leave...55
Girl up the road from us is constantly posting show off photos on FB. Photos of her big house, photos of her sitting in business class on the plane even thou she is in cattle class. Photos of her sitting in a flash car, it goes on.

Her husband was complaining to me how they are constantly getting asked for "loans" and sending money home. Now the brother and mother have arrived to stay...55

I told him just look at your wifes Facebook account, of coarse they will ask for money.
 

Ian Forbes

New member
OZZYGUY;418512 said:
Girl up the road from us is constantly posting show off photos on FB. Photos of her big house, photos of her sitting in business class on the plane even thou she is in cattle class. Photos of her sitting in a flash car, it goes on.

Her husband was complaining to me how they are constantly getting asked for "loans" and sending money home. Now the brother and mother have arrived to stay...55

I told him just look at your wifes Facebook account, of coarse they will ask for money.
That is something I really noticed about a lot of Thai people.... "FACE". They all want to appear to be something they're not. That is just one of the many things I loved about Pui. She didn't give a damn if a person was wealthy or poor so long as they were good people. The Jewish guy she was living with prior to me was as poor as a church mouse and Pui was supporting him... not the other way around. Pui was always doing something for other people... including me. At least I was able to help her out in return.
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
Ian Forbes;418515 said:
That is something I really noticed about a lot of Thai people.... "FACE". They all want to appear to be something they're not. That is just one of the many things I loved about Pui. She didn't give a damn if a person was wealthy or poor so long as they were good people. The Jewish guy she was living with prior to me was as poor as a church mouse and Pui was supporting him... not the other way around. Pui was always doing something for other people... including me. At least I was able to help her out in return.
Sounds like Pui would have got on well with my wife.

Ian you have mentioned Pui a fair bit lately, are you ok?
 
Top