Why Are You Living In

Chob

^ Paulie ...why on earth does your missus want to live in Boston over Vancouver ??

Anyway , as you guys know , I live in Phuket.

I first passed thru it on my way home from London to Sydney ( lots of it actually overland ) in 1980 and thought it was a gem , and I had seen a lot of lovely spots before I got to Phuket ! ( ie Corfu , Kovalam , Goa , Arugan Bay etc )
I rode to Kata Beach from Phuket Town in the tray of a tip truck , holding onto a stretched rope and standing.
Covered in dust.
But it was truly a beautiful island - and not way too far from Aus.

But I went home and married taught school , , and once I started my biz I hardly went anywhere , I was a sole operator pretty much... had 4 kids etc.

25 years later my marriage was crumbling , and I was 50 and was allowed to retire in LoS after age 50 ...and eventually I did.

Reasons I returned to Phuket to have a look ? Well I recalled its beauty and the low costs of living .
Reasons why I eventually moved to Phuket ? Well firstly it was FUN! I had been woven , then stapled wriggling into a role play where-in I worked , and worked , and I served at least 5 peoples interests BEFORE I got to service my interests. After 25 years the kids were growing and happy , but still I had a role to play , according to my Mrs ( and society in general I guess). And she was menopausal and rarely happy or nice . She let slip one day that I , well "WE" were going to give the kids a house each , which I thought very generous of her considering she didnt work a job , and I realised I was expected to slog on for another 15 years. Anyway , I wasnt having that , so I pursued my escape ...which she made take 2 years btw ...
She wasnt letting her slave leave easily . But since I arrived here , I have had FUN , lots of it , and nobody can say that the Thais dont find sanuk in even the smallest things.
12 years and Im still startled at the continuous grins , laughs and hellos , even in Phuket.
The willingness to enjoy life first and foremost.
And I can afford it.

Of course affordability mattered to.
I couldnt have stopped work in Newcastle or Sydney at 50 or I would have lived like a pauper.
Im happy to say I have the same amount of cash I had after I sold my home 1 year into my retirement.

But perhaps most important for me is never being cold again.
I detest the cold and am happiest in a pair of shorts and under a coconut tree by a lovely aqua sea , and Phuket still has that.
THAT I visit and revisit daily.
Its a free gym and pool , its therapy , I see friends there , we hang out , and a 100 baht Gai Yung and Som Tum lunch tops off most days ( tho a 'pad' or a 'tom' will do to )

A coupla beers in the afternoon downstairs in the shade
A happy Thai lady cooking at her 'downside' kitchen.
Shes happy with 1000 baht shopping money - my ex used to moan about 'only' getting $1000 aud housekeeping a week and that was 15 years ago !

Yes , I get annoyed with the abject lack of road sense and safety , and the willful pollution of the environment , and , in particular this Juntas constant focus on the ( evil) falang while haughtily denying any interests in the non-Thai ... the meddling with Immigration Rules.

But I still love the place , particularly the sense of freedom.
Also , and unlike others , I do feel a commitment to my partner and 'our' grand daughter , so as much as i may get annoyed , I cant just pack up and leave them for elsewhere in SE Asia , which is all so easily accessible from here -another huge plus , or even .... Australia .

I ws gonna say 'home' , but here is home now.

Ian Forbes

OZZYGUY;418516 said:
Sounds like Pui would have got on well with my wife.

Ian you have mentioned Pui a fair bit lately, are you ok?
I'm okay, but memories of her still hurt, and probably always will. I've recently made up some short, Thai travel videos for Facebook that feature Pui: Picking tamarins in Thai orchards, drifting the Mae Wang river in bamboo rafts, hiking in the hills around Phan with her and her mother, visiting the high mountain gardens of northern Thailand and of Doi Ang Khan, hiking in Mount Erawan park with Pui and the kids in Kanchanaburi, visiting the beach areas near Pattaya (Koh Larn island and further south).

I'm trying to portray in video the diversity of Thailand, from the beaches to the mountains, and what the cities are like. I've done video of motorbike rides in the cities and country with Pui holding my Gopro on top of a long bamboo pole. I try to keep the videos under or as close to 2 minutes as possible. It takes a lot of editing to make it interesting and informative. Because I spent a lot of time with Pui, she gets featured in many videos. She was also the antithesis of what most people think of many Thai women. She enjoyed walking, hiking and trying anything new. Until I took her to Pattaya she had never gone swimming before. Her joy was evident in everything she did and that is what attracted me most about her.

MarcTwoSix

Chob;418565 said:
^ Paulie ...why on earth does your missus want to live in Boston over Vancouver ??
Family
She wants to be around family

I'd probably move back now also if I could get the same situation I have work wise.
But I don't think I will ever get what I have at work
Pay
Not much competition
Extremely casual.
Great hours
And tons of time off

But I decided I might tell work I want to work in Boston about 4 months out of the year

Ian Forbes

Your long, interesting reply touches on many subjects that I think a lot of us have experienced, Dean. I'm almost 80 and I dread the thought of not visiting Thailand any more... and for the very reasons you mentioned. There is an energy about the place and its people. It is FAR more than just the bar scene and the available young, pretty ladies that so many think is all that Thailand offers. That is why I've been making short videos to show the diversity.

Quarky

Administrator
Chob;418565 said:

Anyway , as you guys know , I live in Phuket.

I first passed thru it on my way home from London to Sydney ( lots of it actually overland ) in 1980 and thought it was a gem , and I had seen a lot of lovely spots before I got to Phuket ! ( ie Corfu , Kovalam , Goa , Arugan Bay etc )
I rode to Kata Beach from Phuket Town in the tray of a tip truck , holding onto a stretched rope and standing.
Covered in dust.
But it was truly a beautiful island - and not way too far from Aus.

But I went home and married taught school , , and once I started my biz I hardly went anywhere , I was a sole operator pretty much... had 4 kids etc.

25 years later my marriage was crumbling , and I was 50 and was allowed to retire in LoS after age 50 ...and eventually I did.

Reasons I returned to Phuket to have a look ? Well I recalled its beauty and the low costs of living .
Reasons why I eventually moved to Phuket ? Well firstly it was FUN! I had been woven , then stapled wriggling into a role play where-in I worked , and worked , and I served at least 5 peoples interests BEFORE I got to service my interests. After 25 years the kids were growing and happy , but still I had a role to play , according to my Mrs ( and society in general I guess). And she was menopausal and rarely happy or nice . She let slip one day that I , well "WE" were going to give the kids a house each , which I thought very generous of her considering she didnt work a job , and I realised I was expected to slog on for another 15 years. Anyway , I wasnt having that , so I pursued my escape ...which she made take 2 years btw ...
She wasnt letting her slave leave easily . But since I arrived here , I have had FUN , lots of it , and nobody can say that the Thais dont find sanuk in even the smallest things.
12 years and Im still startled at the continuous grins , laughs and hellos , even in Phuket.
The willingness to enjoy life first and foremost.
And I can afford it.

Of course affordability mattered to.
I couldnt have stopped work in Newcastle or Sydney at 50 or I would have lived like a pauper.
Im happy to say I have the same amount of cash I had after I sold my home 1 year into my retirement.

But perhaps most important for me is never being cold again.
I detest the cold and am happiest in a pair of shorts and under a coconut tree by a lovely aqua sea , and Phuket still has that.
THAT I visit and revisit daily.
Its a free gym and pool , its therapy , I see friends there , we hang out , and a 100 baht Gai Yung and Som Tum lunch tops off most days ( tho a 'pad' or a 'tom' will do to )

A coupla beers in the afternoon downstairs in the shade
A happy Thai lady cooking at her 'downside' kitchen.
Shes happy with 1000 baht shopping money - my ex used to moan about 'only' getting $1000 aud housekeeping a week and that was 15 years ago !

Yes , I get annoyed with the abject lack of road sense and safety , and the willful pollution of the environment , and , in particular this Juntas constant focus on the ( evil) falang while haughtily denying any interests in the non-Thai ... the meddling with Immigration Rules.

But I still love the place , particularly the sense of freedom.
Also , and unlike others , I do feel a commitment to my partner and 'our' grand daughter , so as much as i may get annoyed , I cant just pack up and leave them for elsewhere in SE Asia , which is all so easily accessible from here -another huge plus , or even .... Australia .

I ws gonna say 'home' , but here is home now.
I always wonder what people mean when they say "freedom" about Thailand... do you mean it's inexpensive... so that gives you a sense of freedom?

OZZYGUY

Ian Forbes;418570 said:
There is an energy about the place and its people. It is FAR more than just the bar scene and the available young, pretty ladies that so many think is all that Thailand offers. .
The bar scene has never been my attraction to Thailand. Would always love family holidays with the family in Phuket. Then when single I guess the bars became a interest to me but it was only a few trips and I was over it. I still like going to the bars, talking with a few girls, playing pool but its a whole lot different these days.

It didn't take long to release that Thailand had so much more to offer than just bars and girls. I think my changing time was when I first went mountain bike riding in Chiang mai in 2012. I started meeting local Thai people, not from the bar scene. Almost all of them are Thai guys, may sound a bit gay but almost all of the Thai people I know are men....555.

Visiting CM is still a place I enjoy and so does my wife, however Im going to start seeing a lot more of PI. I currently doing my visa application to extend my Dec trip to Philippines. Visa extension will give me 59 days.

MarcTwoSix

I am in Tampa area now for work

I don't know why more US guys don't look at the Florida Gulf Coast as a place to retire
The beaches are beautiful, they have a lot of laid back beach towns
Good airports
And you can fly to Caribeean and South America relatively east

Ao's 1st time here and she seems to like the area because it's much more "tropic" than the East Coast of Florida